GooOS, the Google Operating System

This is where you can discuss anything besides CD-i related topics. Introduce yourself, discuss films, music, travel and get to know what interests the community has beyond CD-i.
Bas
CDinteractive Admin

GooOS, the Google Operating System

Post by Bas » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:30 pm

I never really thougth about this like now, but after reading some interesting articles about the "Web Operating System", it makes sense as a logical way to go for Google to incorporate all its online applications with.

I'm really impressed what you can do with free virtual offices like Zoho and Goowy, who needs MS Office anyway? You can store all your files online, and enter your desktop from anywhere in the world.

The only negative thing people can come up with is about their o-so-frightened privacy. Still I don't think you can stop this. Worth a lot of discussion probably, but in the end everything you do online is traceable so the only thing you can do is not working online to prevent this. In a couple of years we don't need any Windows anymore.

A very interesting start is YouOS where you can set up your whole desktop including all online google apps like Gmail, Google Calendar and Writely. I realize this is still a bit primitive but when you expect a boom when they all try to get the attention with the Web 2.0 launch, a GooOS won't come as a surprise to me.

more stuff here and here

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:44 am

Can't see it becoming 'mainstream' myself. The whole thing feels a little transposed and not 'mine' so to speak!

Plus the security risk.
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"