Who is a fan of point n' click graphic adventure games?

This is where you can discuss anything besides CD-i related topics. Introduce yourself, discuss films, music, travel and get to know what interests the community has beyond CD-i.
Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Who is a fan of point n' click graphic adventure games?

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:44 am

I am. A big fan! :D

It is probably my favorite genre overall.

CD-i has a few good choices ... Secret Mission, Lost Eden, Burn Cycle, Myst ... I wish they had even more, as the format seems to be very agreeable to this style of game.

Some of my favorites are (in no special order) ...

-Beneath a Steel Sky
-Broken Sword Series
-Loom
-Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes
-Syberia I & II

And a ton more!

I'm addicted to Scummvm for making so many of these old games playable on modern computers. I'm also grateful that systems like the Wii & Ds continue to see games like this made for them or ported to them.

Anyone else a fan? :)

Interite
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Interite » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:46 am

Not like a huge fan but like some of that stuff. I have a soft spot for like Beneath a Steel Sky which is definitely brilliant, totally agree with you on that. :)
Last edited by Interite on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:51 pm

Interite wrote:Beneath a Steel Sky is definitely brilliant, totally agree with you on that. :)
Indeed! I've read a couple of older posts about trying to get this game and Scummvm on CD-i. It would have been awesome.

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:04 pm

I love the format, I have most of the point and clicks on the Amiga and a good selection on PS1 and PC.

Reading this thread as made me in the mood for some point and click action, I'm going to start on Full Throttle once I get my new iMac next week... That's a game I've never finished.

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:19 pm

Haven't played Full Throttle yet, but it is certainly on my list.

I just beat (today actually) Day of the Tentacle. A great game, and w/Maniac Mansion included, probably a top 10 in my book! :)

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:02 am

Trev wrote:
Interite wrote:Beneath a Steel Sky is definitely brilliant, totally agree with you on that. :)
Indeed! I've read a couple of older posts about trying to get this game and Scummvm on CD-i. It would have been awesome.
yeah I made that post. bit of a pipe dream though for someone with little to no programming experience the complexity and magnitude of undertaking such a project is completely overwhelming. interesting idea though converting Scummvm to CD-i then maybe you don't have to convert each game

i'm also a massive adventure game fan btw

these are my scumm favourites

The Dig
Beneath a Steel Sky
Maniac Mansion (NES version, IMO the PC version looks silly)
Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis
The Secret of Monkey Island

also have you heard of han solo adventures its a new adventure game being developed in homage to the traditional scumm adventures of the 90s

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:14 am

That new adventure game looks ace!

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:00 pm

Reminded me of some great games I had forgotten about ...

The Dig - I love the Music & Atmosphere in this game. I also appreciate that its a serious story for a change, unlike most of the goofy plots lucasarts was known for.

Maniac Mansion - I agree, the Nes version is better. Not only does it look better than the PC ( the original version anyway, and the bonus one included in DOTT) but it has great music!

Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis - 3 games in 1 ... need I say more?

Btw, since posting this thread I have played Full Throttle. What a great game, and one of my new favorites! :D
"Third down, bases are loaded, and we're pullin' the goalie!"

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:09 am

your right about maniac mansion on NES having great music 8)

full throttle was cool, i remember playing the demo way back. surprised I never ended up getting the full game, I'll have to try it now.

is anyone into the older graphic adventures? like the sierra ones - leisure suit larry, kings quest, space quest, police quest, quest for glory,etc. there were non sierra ones too like hugo house of horrors

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:19 am

Shroo-man wrote: is anyone into the older graphic adventures? like the sierra ones - leisure suit larry, kings quest, space quest, police quest, quest for glory,etc. there were non sierra ones too like hugo house of horrors
As much as I recognize their importance, imho the Sierra games have aged horribly. Dead ends, after dead ends, after dead ends ... it is such sloppy programming. :evil: In the 80's it was easy to be forgiving since graphic adventures were new. Once Lucasarts started churning out hits though ...

Not to say that I haven't enjoyed the occasional King's Quest every once in a while. But in my mind, dead ends are simply inexcusable. I figure if they couldn't bother to test it properly, why should I bother to play it. :wink:

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:28 am

id have to disagree with you. not sure what you mean by dead ends as lucasarts games have dead ends too.

the sierra graphic adventures is what got me into adventures. the first one i've ever played was the first leisure suit larry. also if you think the graphics have aged horribly some of the games have been remade with newer graphics

i think I finished most of the sierra ones after I played the lucasarts adventures. so imo they haven't aged that badly to make them unbearable compared to lucasarts adventures. in fact i still got lots of enjoyment out of them especially the quest for glory series. finished the first 4 but couldn't stand the 5th one as it doesn't look or play anything like the other sierra games.

the only problem I have with sierra ones is incompatibility and bugs particularly in the police quest series

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:01 am

Shroo-man wrote:id have to disagree with you. not sure what you mean by dead ends as lucasarts games have dead ends too.

the sierra graphic adventures is what got me into adventures. the first one i've ever played was the first leisure suit larry. also if you think the graphics have aged horribly some of the games have been remade with newer graphics

i think I finished most of the sierra ones after I played the lucasarts adventures. so imo they haven't aged that badly to make them unbearable compared to lucasarts adventures. in fact i still got lots of enjoyment out of them especially the quest for glory series. finished the first 4 but couldn't stand the 5th one as it doesn't look or play anything like the other sierra games.

the only problem I have with sierra ones is incompatibility and bugs particularly in the police quest series
Actually, the later Lucaarts games don't have dead ends. I'll illustrate what I mean by dead ends ...

For example, in Kings Quest V there is a point where you are starving in the mountains and you need to eat or die. You have a pie in your inventory which can satisfy your hunger. It makes perfect sense to eat it ... but if you do it'll make a later puzzle impossible to win. However, the game will not only allow you to make this mistake, but to keep playing ... even though you basically have a game over.

In some Sierra games, you can make a mistake in the first ten minutes and not find out you can't beat the game until hours later! And, like the above example, the mistakes often make no sense.

This probably isn't the best explanation/illustration, but hopefully it gives you an idea of what I mean. It is archaic design at its worst.

I've no problems w/older graphics btw, especially from the 80's or early 90's since they remind me of my younger days as a gamer.

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:32 am

ah i get what you mean now, like you can stuff up the whole game if you make a wrong decsision. I thought you meant an actual dead end like a screen where you couldn't go any further or something.

i remember leisure suit larry 2 in particular had many ways which you could screw it up. you had to make sure you got every item before progressing to the next part of the game. might seem inexcusable for modern day gamers, but back in the day if you recall you might only have a few games because they were expensive to obtain. you couldn't just go download it off the internet.

so you would spend a lot of time on one game because it might of been a long time before you get another one. so to extend the game they made it so you can stuff up. just like most games you can die or get game over and have to start again. today you would just get angry and play something else. but back then you would just keep playing. it teaches you to save early and often and have multiple save files. so if you do screw it up all you need to do is load it

imo its good that you can die or stuff up, otherwise its just like watching a completely linear movie where all the events will happen as scripted. but I've grown up with these games so this is just my view, and I'll defend them to my death :wink:

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:39 am

also when you finally do finish one despite the traps and dead ends, figuring everything out yourself. its very rewarding, at least for me. btw quest for glory 1-4 is the best, way ahead of it's time a unique cross-genre RPG-graphic adventure with the most awesome stories and side quests. a true epic which very few games have been able to rival

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:30 am

I'll agree w/you that figuring out an espcially tough puzzle is very rewarding & satisfying. It is often worth frustration, and I really hate to resort to hints because it ruins the satisfaction.

And I've no problems w/deaths in these games. Several of the Lucasarts games will let you die such as Indiana Jones ... but if I do die, I want to feel like it is my own fault. When I play some of the Sierra games, I feel like it is more the fault of the programmers than myself.

I agree w/you that back in the day you were more likely to stick w/a game. But that is partly why I said Sierra games have aged so badly ... w/so many choices today (especially in the point n click genre) there is no reason to stick w/games that feel more like relics when I can be playing a lucasarts game that is still fun and feels smartly designed.

To each his own though ... I've read numerous posts elsewhere expressing both of our views, and it seems that the camps are strongly divided. So we certainly aren't alone. :wink: