a 3DO sequel

This is where you can discuss anything besides CD-i related topics. Introduce yourself, discuss films, music, travel and get to know what interests the community has beyond CD-i.
WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:37 pm

That might work for systems that actually exist, but not for systems that are still in development. Anyway, read "Next Generation", issue 9/1997, because that's where I got my information from. ;)

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:16 pm

That might work for systems that actually exist, but not for systems that are still in development.
Nonsense. The pre-development time is crucial to make a platform a success. If you don't put enough marketing an money in a project it is already doomed to fail. When they feel it is going to cost too much money (otherwise: it wouldn't give a profit), you tell me money is not the reason.

If money was not the issue both CD-i 2 and 3DO M2 would be real and highly popular.
most software companies thought that the M2 would not be successful and so only a few took the risk to develop games for it.
You see, the risk is about money. wouldn't be succesfull=wouldn't be profitable=costs too much money...;)

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:24 pm

You are talking about something completely different, buddy. They put more than enough money in marketing, but none the less no one really wanted to develop games for it. Even Sega said goodbye after a while, which is funny enough given that Sega originally even planned to use the M2 technology for the Saturn successor... That's why Matsushita decided to not release the M2, not because they ran out of money. It was probably a profit-thing for the software companies, but that's not what I'm talking about.
Last edited by WindowsKiller on Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:59 pm

It doesn't matter somewhere in the cycle the money drain stops. This may cause some sort of chain reaction why coders don't want to develop for the format anymore, but that doesn't matter: The core reason simply is money. It's not all about marketing, it's not about the software coders only, those were just examples. If a publisher offers money to a coder to develop a title for M2, ofcourse they would do it, as long there is money. It's work. If they don't trust it, no budget is given to the format, ofcourse not. If that scares off another (either hardware- of software-) developer from using the system, they perhaps would not cancel support by reasons of money, but because of a lack of trust in the system by other people. And why is that? I'm serious, it's all about money.

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:10 pm

Okay, you just replied while I was editing my answer above. Shit happens... :lol:

The question was why Matsushita did not release the M2 as a gaming system. The system was already "final" in early 1996, but still no game was fully done in late 1997. That's why Matsushita decided to turn the M2 technology into a kiosk system. This had nothing to do with money, as Matsushita would have produced and sold the system either way (and so they did).

You, on the other hand, are trying to explain why there were no games. For some software companies, it was probably about money. But for most, it was because the hardware changed several times, making the dev kits obsolete; and it took ages before new dev kits were available. Moreover, the hardware had some serious flaws, like the matrix calculations being done by the second cpu, not by a dsp. Only God knows why they did it like that. A lot of hyped M2 features were fully useless for games, too. It simply wasn't a trusty system to develop for...
Last edited by WindowsKiller on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ruekov
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Ruekov » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:16 am

3DO Company have a real economical problems after launch 3DO. The sales never go well, and 3DO / EA was spend very money with a fmv-game release (for exemple: snow job, shock wave).
WindowsKiller wrote:That's why they gave up in the end and released it as an "Interactive Media Player" instead of a gaming machine.
And all "Interactive Media Player" machines was a disaster before PlaySation 2 (when was relased, was more cheap playstation 2 than DVD players).

Sorry for my english, after four month no typing it...

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:02 am

Ruekov wrote:And all "Interactive Media Player" machines was a disaster before PlaySation 2 (when was relased, was more cheap playstation 2 than DVD players).
You hit the nail on the head there! ...and indeed PS2 knocked the nail in the coffin for any next-gen multimedia machine, like say a CD-i 2!
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:16 am

@Ruekov: You are right with both, but both had not much to do with the failure of the M2. The 3DO Company was low on money, sure, but they already sold the M2 technology to Matsushita in 1995 and were not responsible for all that happened afterwards. And the PS2 was not even announced when Matsushita finally pulled the plug for the M2 as a gaming machine. (I might have misunderstood you on this)

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:53 am

WindowsKiller wrote:This had nothing to do with money
Wrong statement in my opinion, but perhaps you look from a different perspective. I don't want to end in a yes or no situation.
You, on the other hand, are trying to explain why there were no games.
In relation to the fact why M2 didn't succeed, yes. Why they changed it? Different opinions about how to conquer the market. (also a money issue, construct a console with reasonable capabilities for a low price) that is the start of the mistrust in the system, and the reason why other companies didn't want to invest money anymore.

I feel it's related more to each other than you think it to be. It's a lot like why CD-i didn't get 3rd party support. Not a bit. To quote the president of the former PIMA: "It's textbook".

Ruekov
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Ruekov » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:39 pm

WindowsKiller wrote: The 3DO Company was low on money, sure, but they already sold the M2 technology to Matsushita in 1995 and were not responsible for all that happened afterwards.
Yes. :)

Another example of unsuccessful laboratory console was NEMO (Hasbro). The games would be inside vhs tape :lol:

More info (1),(2)

Footage of a presentation of a NEMO prototype to Hasbro executives.

December 1986 - Hasbro Headquarters. :)
Last edited by Ruekov on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:49 pm

Nice! This footage was actually on the SEGA CD Disc accessable via a cheat code.
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"

Vincent XIII
Softech Recruit
Location: InASmallCornerAlone... NOT im not an emo or anything! or am i?idonthaveaprobwithemostheyaresexyLOL

Post by Vincent XIII » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:52 pm

three do 2 ROFL! it rymes >< ROFL!! O.o

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:05 pm

The sequel to the 3DO console is widely discussed at our Sister forum channel: 3DO ZERO - Perhaps you like it!

cdiplayer
Softech Recruit

Post by cdiplayer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:17 pm

Coughcough I have a prototype M2coughcough

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:20 am

Me, too. Even with games. So what? :roll: No need to bump a 2-year old thread.