CD Video

This is where you can discuss anything besides CD-i related topics. Introduce yourself, discuss films, music, travel and get to know what interests the community has beyond CD-i.
Bas
CDinteractive Admin

CD Video

Post by Bas » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:06 pm

"CD Video
Launched in 1972 as VLP, the 'LaserDisc' became popular mainly in Japan and the USA among movie enthusiasts and - especially in Japan - lovers of Karaoke. But in Europe there was not so much interest. To make optical discs into a video medium, the joint license holders Philips en Sony announced the development of a CD with a video capability in 1987, under the name 'CD Video'. Three discs sizes - 12, 20 and 30 cm - were developed. The 12 cm 'CD with video' was referred to as 'CDV'. It contained up to 5 minutes of (analogue) video (like LaserDisc) plus up to 20 minutes of CD digital audio, which could be played on any CD player. The 12 cm discs were yellow; to distinguish them from the silver audio CDs. Philips intended these discs to be an ideal carrier for video clips. 20 and 30 cm CD Video discs were also introduced, with playing times of 40 to 120 minutes. By 2000 the roles of CD Video and LaserDisc were taken over by DVD. "

Michiel, any luck with these players you were hunting after a while back?

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:10 pm

Yes, I have two players and about 200 discs. Laservision, CD-video and laserdisc.

phatrat1982
Softech Recruit

Post by phatrat1982 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:46 am

I have a LaserDisc player that plays CD Video, I don't have any CD Video discs but I do have some LaserDiscs and am always looking for more.