Do tell, why, do you expect people to pay for an emulator?

CD-i Emulator is the first fully evolving windows compatible emulator project of the Philips CD-i system. Discuss the emulator, compatibility issues, seek help and support to get the program operating and post what you'd like to see in future revisions of the program. CD-i players ROM (BIOS) requests, begging and links will not be tolerated. Otherwise feel free to post your thoughts on this amazing new piece of software.
DotDotFreakingDot
Burn:Cycle Activated

Do tell, why, do you expect people to pay for an emulator?

Post by DotDotFreakingDot » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:50 am

Might as well buy the actual thing instead, kinda defeats the purpose of making an emulator then?

Seriously, you can be modest by having a little message that pops up every time one opens the emulator asking to donate, but butchering the emulator and adding a 3 minute time limit is out of the question and frankly quite ridiculous.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Re: Do tell, why, do you expect people to pay for an emulato

Post by cdifan » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:02 am

I don't usually reply to these posts but since I have recently been getting mail messages like this more frequently...
DotDotFreakingDot wrote:Might as well buy the actual thing instead, kinda defeats the purpose of making an emulator then?
Sure, when there are actual things for sale and working, which will stop being the case in, oh, another ten or twenty years or so. And tough luck if you want to do something that the real things cannot (freeze emulation, debug or trace in any way, make full-quality screenshots, play from a disc image for development, you name it).
DotDotFreakingDot wrote:Seriously, you can be modest by having a little message that pops up every time one opens the emulator asking to donate, but butchering the emulator and adding a 3 minute time limit is out of the question and frankly quite ridiculous.
I take this as a complaint about the limited edition? It is not intended to be actually used but to allow you to evaluate 1) if you can get CD-i Emulator to work on your PC and 2) if your favourite CD-i title works with the emulator. For these purposes the time limit is much better and popup messages are really just !^@^&*(#(* annoying!

I fully agree that, if you want to really play a game instead of sampling it, the time limit of the limited edition is unacceptable, but that was exactly the intention. Perhaps I should have called it the demonstration edition or promotion edition...

And really, is 25 euro that much money for you? Even a child having no other source of income than his/her pocket money should be able to raise this within a few weeks. Should separate the real fans from the wannabees. :-)

You are completely free to invest your own time into making your own CD-i emulator, of course. It can certainly be done, and will only become easier as more technical information becomes available (which is already happening with e.g. the Frog Feast source code and more being in the pipeline). :twisted:

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:10 am

Please, no discussion again about this. You can find a lot of topics discussing this using the search funtion. Take it, or leave it. :!:

for now: closed.