30 Euros or 10 Working Games ???

CD-i Emulator is the first fully evolving windows compatible emulator project of the Philips CD-i system. Discuss the emulator, compatibility issues, seek help and support to get the program operating and post what you'd like to see in future revisions of the program. CD-i players ROM (BIOS) requests, begging and links will not be tolerated. Otherwise feel free to post your thoughts on this amazing new piece of software.
CD-WHY
Burn:Cycle Activated

30 Euros or 10 Working Games ???

Post by CD-WHY » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:16 am

Hello To you all,

I'm new.

Someone gave me a bunch of cd-I games last year, but his machine was long broken. I looked around at means to play these games, and apparently there is no better solution than to find a working used CD-I machine. So this is what I'll do, I think.

But I subscribed here to tell comments about the whole cd-I emulator thing. I first thought it would be easy to find an emulator because most old systems are well emulated but this one.

Why does the engineer asks for 30 Euros when on his site the machine lists about not even 10 games that function ???

I don't think there is any other emulator of a game system out there asking for money, except perhaps Amiga, but there is a fine system made free to counter it (except that the price-asking one do come with the hardware bios).

Why is the system not working ? After so many years of working on this, does the engineer starts to have an idea of what makes the thing freeze? Maybe if the engineer had published his work as a source code and work as a community, other people could help out and see why so many games are bugging ? Or is the list on the cdi emu website outdated and facct being that now much more games are emulated ? (I wanted to try Dark Castle).

And don't tell me about bios.....

Why are people here making such a fuss about the copyrights of such an old system's bios ?? Has anyone thought of asking Phillips to just publish the bios ? It's such a deleted hardware anywhere that is not coming back (and no, there is no bios to be found on the web for cd-i, it seems no one cares to be honest). Or are there still systems being sold that read CD-I?

I"m really just lazy to not have yet bidded on a relevant CD-I system, and so I guess I don'y have business here, but I'm just curious to know why things are so different in the cd-i emulator world than with other emulators out there. Why is the system so hard to emulate? They are thousands DVD (movie) emulators. What is so wrong with CD-I technology ?? Arrrgghh...

CD-WHYYYYYYYYYY............ ;-)

PS: I wouldn't mind paying for an emulator, that is so much less hassle then to get an old system and find ways to plug it to your tv. But it would have to be fully functional. But why are most other emulators free ?
Because 1) often they're community projects, 2) the purpose is mostly personal pride, as in some case even the legality as far as copying a system is troublesome unless it's made under the baner of fandom, 3) it is never lost time, it is great for you curriculum and can help you actually get that paying job. and finally, 4) most have a pay donation option and cross their fingers that people will use it (of course most won't, but then if your emulator is expensive, it's bound to be cracked, let's be real, people in Brazil and Thailand don't have 30 euros, living in a richer country is not helpful in establishing value. This is internet, co.uk is not the reality)

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:58 am

O dear God...

One. There are numerous threads about the exact same subject.

Two. Let me tell you this. There are loads of free virus scanners available on the internet. Why are there also a few you have to pay for? Why is Linux free, and Windows is not? Why are some of you so negative about a CD-i emulator, without just being happy someone took the time to actually create it? Why don't you keep in mind CD-i Emulator is a hobby project, and not a product of a business model?

Three. If you read the site correctly, there are just a few test results available there. It's by no means complete. If you want to know if a title works with CD-i Emulator, download the free version, get the ISO and try the game, or check the game list at The Black Moon Project.

If you don't want to pay for it, leave the thing. We're not going to get into this again