couple of questions for anyone who will help me

CD-i Emulator is the first fully evolving windows compatible emulator project of the Philips CD-i system. Discuss the emulator, compatibility issues, seek help and support to get the program operating and post what you'd like to see in future revisions of the program. CD-i players ROM (BIOS) requests, begging and links will not be tolerated. Otherwise feel free to post your thoughts on this amazing new piece of software.
firemanlink
Burn:Cycle Activated

couple of questions for anyone who will help me

Post by firemanlink » Mon May 04, 2009 10:55 pm

I have about 5 cd-i games that I wa given as a child. That I never played. Due to the fact I never had a cd-i player Long story. anyway I really wanted to play theses games. that's when I heard about the cd-i emulator.

so am I correct that I need a bios from an actuall pllayer?
and the a player to withdraw the games

If so does anyone know where I can get a player I've tried ebay but it's like 300 plus dollars and I've been riped off from ebay before so I'm reluctant.

I appreciate any help

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue May 05, 2009 6:44 am

Which titles you want to play? CD-i Emulator is in a early stage and not all games are yet compatible, so you might save yourself trouble!

Heatseeker86

Post by Heatseeker86 » Tue May 05, 2009 4:45 pm

hey firemanlink,

welcome. I hate to be the deliverer of bad news but you might as well find a deal on an actual player to run them on. I can send you a bios but it wont do you any good since this project is pretty much dead although people like Bas here would have you believe it is very much alive and well. CDIfan has already suggested people start coding themselves. Theres been bad mojo orbiting around this thing since day 1.

So find a decent to player to use. Its currently your best bet.

And people of the forum, stop living in denial, stop giving people false hope. Let CD-i Emu RIP.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed May 06, 2009 7:06 am

hold the phone; Where did I let you believe it's alive and kicking!? There's been four years without any updates, that's true. Perhaps there will be another four years without updates. Based on what I know from cdifan, the project is not dead but it's in a drawer where it might be for another long time but it's sometimes touched and improved. The original CD-i Emulator did take about 8 years to arrive.

Ofcourse I'd love to see it different. Yet, the current CD-i Emulator does emulate a number of cd-i games very well so back to my first post; it depends on what titles you want to play to decide whether CD-i Emulator is good for you.

Actually I don't recommend buying second hand CD-i players anymore as many of them will die soon. I've heard numerous complaints about players bought from ebay which turned out to have problems and died soon after. Mainly because of the timekeeper bomb inside. Get yourself a player with a replaceable battery or just don't spend a lot of money on it ;)

firemanlink

Post by firemanlink » Wed May 06, 2009 7:53 am

What kind of battery are we talking about because if its like a cmos battery I could replace it. Because I fix stuff like that all the time. but if its a disc tray I couldn't fix it. But anyway. I'm willing to take the risk because I really want to play these games plus It looks like I wouldn't have a choice eithier way because I will need a bios and need to withdraw my games. I do want to try this emulator eventually so Do you have a list of compatible games?

Heatseeker86

Post by Heatseeker86 » Fri May 08, 2009 2:39 am

Theres a coin battery in these players, some of which require some crazy methods of replacing. Im not familiar with the models with the easily replaceable battery. But hey, if you can deal with that, its a small price to pay.

I came across this on the subject.

http://cdii.blogspot.com/2009/03/pictur ... epair.html

Its dirty but doable.

Try the emulator. No guarantee on any or all your games working, as Bas said, the current version of this emulator is rather limited in compatibility as well as playability. But its worth the look.

Bas by the way, nevermind. I may have been mistaking you for someone who was attacking people for asking questions about the emulator in the past. Either that or you deleted those posts ;-) If you guys say its still 'on hold' so to speak then so be it. Ill check back again in september as I do annually now. Thanks

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri May 08, 2009 7:08 am

You can check the compatibility of CD-i Emulator with CD-i games on the official website here: www.cdiemu.org

as long as the author of CD-i Emulator sais it's not dead yet, who am I or you to take this kind of conclusion!?

When people start flaming or being rude, those posts will be deleted, it's a s simple as that. For the rest, everyone is free to say anything they think about it.

firemanlink

Post by firemanlink » Mon May 11, 2009 8:53 am

Thanks for all the help. I have 1 last question.

What is the digital video cartridge and will I need it to play games?

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Mon May 11, 2009 2:06 pm

The Digital Video Cartridge (also known als DVC) adds MPEG playback capability to the CD-i player, as well as an additional 1MB of RAM.
With it you can use the CD-i player as video cd player as well.

There are games that need it, namely those that use full-motion video sequences like 7th Guest or Mad Dog McCree; most older games do not need it.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon May 11, 2009 3:12 pm