CD-i Emulator: great?

CD-i Emulator is the first fully evolving windows compatible emulator project of the Philips CD-i system. Discuss the emulator, compatibility issues, seek help and support to get the program operating and post what you'd like to see in future revisions of the program. CD-i players ROM (BIOS) requests, begging and links will not be tolerated. Otherwise feel free to post your thoughts on this amazing new piece of software.

Do you care about a cd-i emulator?

Doesn't really matter to me...
7%
Nice to see it's happening, but i'm not going to participate.
No votes
Probably will give it a try some time...
7%
Yes, I'm going to get one as soon as it gets a release!
86%

Total votes: 14

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

CD-i Emulator: great?

Post by Bas » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:30 pm

With a cd-i emulator on the horizon, fans of the system finally get the ability to play cd-i on their PC. What do you think of it? Please give a voice to your thoughts!!

Will you get one?
Did you try the cd-i link program?
Did it work?

Let us know!!!

Q-Marine
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Q-Marine » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:37 pm

I´m highly interested in CDi-Emulation, althougt I own more then one of this "consoles".
Would be a good thing if the Video-Cartridge is supported too, there are many Games that need it.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:24 am

Oh yes, the very minute it's released i'll be getting it ready for CD-i Emulating. Besides playing the games this emulator offers so much more besides and it's currently helping developers make new software for the CD-i and pushing the CD-i scene forward. It's certainly blowing away some of the mystery behind the system which is brilliant and I hope it leads to further independent development for the machine.

Overdrive_X
Softech Recruit

Re: CD-i Emulator: great?

Post by Overdrive_X » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:42 pm

Bas wrote:With a cd-i emulator on the horizon, fans of the system finally get the ability to play cd-i on their PC. What do you think of it? Please give a voice to your thoughts!!

Will you get one?
Did you try the cd-i link program?
Did it work?

Let us know!!!
I will buy this software for sure. Like i talked with Devin this is more than a Classic Game Playing software. Maybe we will see more homebrew stuff. What would be great is a collection of CD-I video cd with homemade cartoon on it.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:01 pm

Q-Marine wrote:I´m highly interested in CDi-Emulation, althougt I own more then one of this "consoles".
Would be a good thing if the Video-Cartridge is supported too, there are many Games that need it.
The emulator supports the expanded memory used by some games with the Digital Video Cartridge but not the decoding part itself. Games that use this would include stuff like the American Laser Games, Dragon's Lair, Space Ace and the Mad Dog series which obviously won't work yet. Other games that use the aforementioned memory of the DVC includes a certain cute SPC title that my Avatar hints at!!

Demo freeware cartoons would be ace, if only to show the eventual emulation of DVC!! I'd like to see an increase in homebrew code for the CD-i, maybe we can even sneak an emulator for an emulator in to the mix which also works on CD-i. Now that would be something.

metalsphere

Post by metalsphere » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:12 pm

I am keeping a close eye on this project. My hope is that it becomes as great an emulator as magic Engine is for the PC Engine/Turbo Grafx 16. Full support of all roms, isos and even plays the original CD games straight from your PCs CD-ROM drive.

Viva la CD-i Emulator!
"All great truths begin as blasphemies." - George Bernard Shaw

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:21 pm

Thanks for the encouragement!

The ultimate goal is of course "all ROMs, all ISOs and straight from CD-ROM", but it's a bit early yet...

PS. I'm currently on vacation and using a cybercafe; don't expect prompt replies :-)

Foleyjo

Post by Foleyjo » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:38 am

Im not a fan of emulators. I prefer playing on the real machines. I always get a feeling somethings not quite right when I use an emulator.

The thing I do like about them is more people use them more people want games for them and games become easier to get hold of

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:29 pm

Foleyjo,

In principle you're right, of course: the real machine is "more real". But a good emulator is nearly the same, particularly if it runs full-screen, drops no frames and supports similar or identical controller hardware. I hope cdiemu will eventually get to that point.

And an emulator has the distinct advantage of having no hardware parts needing maintenance or repairs, which is starting to become a problem for CD-i.

PS. Currently on vacation, don't expect prompt replies.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:58 pm

Foleyjo wrote:Im not a fan of emulators. I prefer playing on the real machines. I always get a feeling somethings not quite right when I use an emulator.

The thing I do like about them is more people use them more people want games for them and games become easier to get hold of
I kinda slipped into emulators because i'm lazy. Only have a certain amount of space for my console setup so using an emulator on my PC is the ideal solution because I can't be bothered to plug my Megadrive/Master System/PSX into the TV and unwrangle the myriad of wires!! It also offers flexibility of uploading things like savestates and cheats very simply and effectively. Something we could support with CD-i Emulator.

I've also liked playing around with all the settings under emulation, some emulators support funny display features and in other cases actually enhance the graphics. In the case of CD-i Emulator I can have instant access to my entire CD-i library in ISO form so my discs don't wear.

Foleyjo

Post by Foleyjo » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:17 am

I must admit if theres a game I want to play quickly I will just use the an emulator. If however Im going to have a big gaming session Ill set up a computer. The main emulators I use are Commodore 64 emulators (I must point out Im a massive Commodore fan).

Im lucky enough to have all the main consoles I play on in one easily accessable place. Its just a case of changing the plug in the socket and moving the scart lead over. Before this set up most were gathering dust and I did depend on emulators. Sadly I couldnt find CDI or 3DO emulators back then

Ruekov
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Ruekov » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:02 am

Foleyjo wrote:Sadly I couldnt find CDI or 3DO emulators back then

Exist 3DO emulator,

http://www.freedo.org/