Will I be able to play the CD-I Zeldas?

CD-i Emulator is the first fully evolving windows compatible emulator project of the Philips CD-i system. Discuss the emulator, compatibility issues, seek help and support to get the program operating and post what you'd like to see in future revisions of the program. CD-i players ROM (BIOS) requests, begging and links will not be tolerated. Otherwise feel free to post your thoughts on this amazing new piece of software.
Eat-an-Octorok
Burn:Cycle Activated

Will I be able to play the CD-I Zeldas?

Post by Eat-an-Octorok » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:21 pm

I am a Zelda fan who is trying to complete every Zelda game. I want to play WOG, FOE and ZA without paying for them. Here are a few questions (please don't use techno-spiel, I am clueless when it comes to techie phrases :D )

1. How much will CD-I Emulator cost?

2. Do I have to buy games to play them, or can I download free ROMs?

3. Will there be a trial version and what will its limits be?

4. Will Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon, Link: Faces of Evil and Zelda's Adventure be available?

Thank you! :D

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:46 pm

the games are never for free. You should always own a copy of the game.
ROM's which are available on p2p sites are illegal ...

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Re: Will I be able to play the CD-I Zeldas?

Post by Erronous » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:55 pm

Eat-an-Octorok wrote:I want to play WOG, FOE and ZA without paying for them.
There are a lot of things I want to have and do without paying for them.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:57 pm

Here are some answers for you:

The unlimited edition of CD-i Emulator will cost 25 euro (about 31 US dollars with current rates). You will need a CD-i system ROM to use it, which is copyrighted and I won't be providing it. It can be uploaded from a "real" CD-i player using a serial cable that you can build yourself or should be able to buy from Devin's CD-i Store.

The limited edition will be free; it will have a 3-minute maximum playing time and you won't be able to save NVRAM contents, e.g. highscores or save points.

CD-i games aren't in ROMs, they are on actual Compact Discs. Some of these can be downloaded from various sources, but again I won't be providing them, as they are also copyrighted.

The three Zelda games are CD-i games like any other; see above. I have heard that you can download these from somewhere, though.

Eat-an-Octorok

Post by Eat-an-Octorok » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:48 pm

How much is that in pounds?

Damn, that's a rip off. When wasd the last time people had to pay to download emulators?

And to whoever said that ROMs were never free, how come I'm able to download ROMs of BS Zelda? Although I never use ROMs, I'm aware that they're normally free.

Hopefully someone will make a free version of this :D

davcrag

CD-i roms

Post by davcrag » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:04 am

You should have to earn and pay for all cd-i titles like the rest of us. Granted, I got a lot of mine for free but that's because I won so many sales contests! Therefore I worked my ass off to win the titles!

Maybe you should try doing the same one day. :evil:
Craig

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:41 am

Eat-an-Octorok wrote:How much is that in pounds?

Damn, that's a rip off. When wasd the last time people had to pay to download emulators?

And to whoever said that ROMs were never free, how come I'm able to download ROMs of BS Zelda? Although I never use ROMs, I'm aware that they're normally free.

At the current rate that would cost about £17.

Some emulators like MagicEngine use a payment scheme so it's not out of the ordinary. Like any program you have to pay to use it unless you go the route of pirating material illegally. Your entitled to an opinion on these forums, do you really consider it a rip off? Then again it's not like anyone is forcing you to buy it!! :roll:

BIOS and ROMS are prevalent on the net and freely available, that doesn't make it right or legal however!!

[Playfull]

Post by [Playfull] » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:29 am

i completly agree its in no matter what the "author" rigths to charge a fee for his work however when it comes to emulators i seen emulators where i would say if i have paid them i would really have feelt robbed
forexample Bleem or bleemcast what i mean with that are they took the money and left the project before a really stable or a compatible level emulator was done ...

not saying this would be the same and i must say im 100% up for paying for a great emulator but i wait and see how far it goes before throwing money out on it ...

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:13 am

You will be able to try out the limited edition for free to see if CD-i Emulator works for you (PC and ROM compatibility, does it play my favorite game, does my joystick work, is my PC fast enough, do I like the colors etc etc), before you have to pay me anything.

The CD-i system ROM upload thing (with the cable) is beyond my control; these ROMs are copyrighted and thus I cannot provide them.

Ruekov
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Ruekov » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:43 pm

cdifan wrote:The unlimited edition of CD-i Emulator will cost 25 euro (about 31 US dollars with current rates).
But will it be updatable to newer versions?

[Playfull]

Post by [Playfull] » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:36 pm

well many of my fav. CD-I games are those there uses (mpeg) what i understand isnt supported yet thats one of the reasons ill wait :)

with that said it dosent mean other shouldnt pay if they like the emulator ill just wait a while to see the process and its not a "day flie" but something there will be worked on for a while and get to a state where i feel its worth the money ....

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:53 pm

Again, player compatibility updates *will* be free (you may need to re-download, but it will be free when you've already paid for a previous version).

I haven't decided yet on the famous DV cartridge update (that is at least a few months off anyway); it will depend on the amount of work, I guess. Likewise for other "major" updates.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:02 am

I completely understand [Playfull], Bleem! to cite one example was a let down for continued support. Back in the day I originally bought this instead of a PSX but was disappointed by the playability so eventually bought the real thing.

In the case of CD-i Emulator it's a matter of preservation over commercial gains. The CD-i is well past its retail "sell by date" and our players aren't going to last forever. CD-i Emulator is the perfect answer to our prayers, i'm sure the die hard contingent of CD-i fans will pick'up the emulator upon release. I quite understand others waiting for further advances in the program however and is to be expected.

A basic compatibility list should be on-line upon the emulators release and of course the trial version will be freely available anyway!! We'll be looking to make a more advanced compatibility list given time incorporating user submissions and tests by the CDinteractive staffers to confirm such submissions.

Overdrive_X
Softech Recruit

Post by Overdrive_X » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:06 pm

Eat-an-Octorok wrote:How much is that in pounds?

You think 1 year of work and 75 000 lines of codes should be free ? Come on i don't even know why Zsnes & ePSXe aren't commercial software

KuroNeko
Softech Recruit

Post by KuroNeko » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:45 pm

Overdrive_X wrote:You think 1 year of work and 75 000 lines of codes should be free ? Come on i don't even know why Zsnes & ePSXe aren't commercial software
Because Nintendo and Sony would sue?

Which reminds me, CDifan, do you have any reaction from Philips or Sony on your plans? Sony in particular worries me...

Neko