So to play a CD-I game on this I'll need a cable?

CD-i Emulator is the first fully evolving windows compatible emulator project of the Philips CD-i system. Discuss the emulator, compatibility issues, seek help and support to get the program operating and post what you'd like to see in future revisions of the program. CD-i players ROM (BIOS) requests, begging and links will not be tolerated. Otherwise feel free to post your thoughts on this amazing new piece of software.
Eat-an-Octorok
Burn:Cycle Activated

So to play a CD-I game on this I'll need a cable?

Post by Eat-an-Octorok » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:31 pm

I'm pretty clueless about this sort of thing, but now I've suddenly discovered you need a cable to play these games.

Is it true? Will there EVER be any way to use this emulator without a cable?

Can someone also tell me the steps I will need to take to play three of the CD-I games? BTW I don't have a CD-I myself.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:46 pm

don't panic and take a look at this

Eat-an-Octorok

Post by Eat-an-Octorok » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:07 pm

I'd already read that. It didn't really answer my question.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:22 pm

yes it does.

In order to actually run CD-i software, the emulator needs copies of the CD-i player ROMs. These ROMs are copyrighted and cannot be freely redistributed, but you can easily obtain them via the serial port of a physical CD-i player. For this you need a so-called CD-i Nullmodem Cable that will be available separately, or you can make your own.

At the current time only the ROMs from a subset of CD-i players are fully compatible with the emulator; this is being worked on and future player compatibility updates will be free. Full details will be available when the software is released.

If you download the ROM's elsewhere, we call it illegal. And, ofcourse, we can't promote this. So, legally, yes you need a cable to get the ROM of your player.

You should also own the game you want to play on the emulator. That's because the content is copyrighted.

We all know the terms 'p2p' and 'piracy', though ... :wink:

So: You need a cable to load the ROM to your PC, or download it *somewhere*. Once you have this ROM, you don't need the cable anymore to run the emulator.

Eat-an-Octorok

Post by Eat-an-Octorok » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:33 pm

So what was the "don't panic" about?

And being realistic, is the CD-I popular enough to HAVE roms on the internet?

TerraTron

Emulator Cable

Post by TerraTron » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:57 pm

The only thing you'll need is a CDi BIOS !! Then the emulator will work fine also without the cable..... :lol:

The only time you'll need that cable is to download your BIOS from your cdi player so you can use it legaly with your own BIOS. You can also look on the internet for a CDI Bios (Illegal) and play with the emu....

Then the only thing is to get the games and play.....

if Bas mentions ROM that's the CDi players BIOS and the Games are on CD and if you are looking for games....buy them!

Or look good on the CDi sites :wink:

TerraTron

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:44 pm

Why's everybody winking in this topic!!

You can do more with the null-modem cable besides upload the players BIOS and future projects are bound to take advantage of it in the future. Useful to developer types and people curious to play around with the CD-i player somewhat.

Eat-an-Octorok

Post by Eat-an-Octorok » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:48 pm

I searched for the BIOS and there was no use.

Anyone know an effective group of words to search for? Or a site with a BIOS on?

WTF is a BIOS anyway?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:52 pm

Eat-an-Octorok wrote:I searched for the BIOS and there was no use.

Anyone know an effective group of words to search for? Or a site with a BIOS on?

WTF is a BIOS anyway?
We won't help with locating a BIOS file or linking to it through these forums because of the legal issues involved.

A BIOS file is basically the consoles internal software or operating system, so in this case it is the software the CD-i player uses to play CD-i applications. A good comparison is the SCPH PSX BIOS files that dominate the net and is probably the most commonly found.

adi

Post by adi » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:26 pm

o a few simple Q's i dont totaly understand the workign of the CDi myself but im a big fan of Zelda and am looking forward to getting this emulator, as i know will be thousands of zelda fans,

but
can i play the actual CDi CD. i have the bin/cue files for back up games i have

will the
philips_cdi-910_bios_rom_(memorex-tandy_version)

bios work on this emulator it is from the CDI i have

:wink:

Merijn
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Merijn » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:47 pm

Nope that Bios will not work. Well at least it didn't when I tried it.
(sorry guys.. had to try that while waiting for my cable ;-)

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:38 pm

The 910 BIOS should work, it was good for running LINK with me!!