Cd-i disc image

CD-i Emulator is the first fully evolving windows compatible emulator project of the Philips CD-i system. Discuss the emulator, compatibility issues, seek help and support to get the program operating and post what you'd like to see in future revisions of the program. CD-i players ROM (BIOS) requests, begging and links will not be tolerated. Otherwise feel free to post your thoughts on this amazing new piece of software.
SirGraham
Burn:Cycle Activated

Cd-i disc image

Post by SirGraham » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:03 pm

Hi

I downloaded a disc image (in NRG format) of the CD-i game Secret Mission (an adventure game by Microids). Will I be able to use it with the emulator? I don't know if it's qualified as a ROM, it's more like the original CD. So, if I burn this image on a CD or mount it with a virtual drive program (like Daemon Tools), will it work?

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:27 pm

At present, the emulator does not support NRG files, only raw MODE2/2352 files (these typically have the extension BIN). Several people in the beta group have worked around this by just burning the NRG file to a CD and then creating a BIN file from it.

NRG file support will be added at some point, but probably not in the first version. The few samples I've seen to far were all in MODE2/2336 format which isn't hard to support. Anyone have a definitive file format reference on NRG files?

SirGraham
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by SirGraham » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:47 pm

Well, NRG is Mode2/2048, but it shouldn't be a problem creating a Mode2/2352 BIN file out of it (but not 2336, I don't know what that is).
So a BIN file of a CD-i CD-ROM is what you consider a ROM for the emulator? No problem then :)
When will the emulator be out anyway?

Kao
Softech Recruit

Post by Kao » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:19 pm

I believe it's supposed to come out within a week or so, but I suppose only CD-I Fan knows for certain! :)

And I'm sorry -- this is going to come off sounding stupid on my part, but how can I get the CD-I games I own onto my computer as BIN Files? I'm sure there's an FAQ somewhere that I didn't read and I'm going to be scolded for asking. :wink:
It's like 1993 all over again!

oaacdi
Softech Recruit

Post by oaacdi » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:33 pm

Go to le monde du cd-i/plus/pdf/cd-i burning guide/download http://www.lemondeducdi.fr.st/

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:36 pm

Yeah, there's a FAQ. Consider yourself scolded :-)

There's a "CD-i burning guide" on the Le Monde du CD-i website that tells you how to create BIN files. It's under Plus | .pdf files, but you're forgiven for not finding it. Here is a direct link to the download page.

NRG files for CD-i discs are most certainly not Mode2/2048; CD-i discs use those extra 288 bytes. I believe that Nero will use the smallest sector size that contains all the data, which for pure ISO-9660 is indeed Mode1/2048.

By the way, a disc image (which is what NRG, BIN etc files are) is not enough; you also need a ROM file that must be uploaded from an actual CD-i player.

I have started finishing up for release; just bear with me a little while longer...