CDi is a crap system. Why the fuss?

CD-i Emulator is the first fully evolving windows compatible emulator project of the Philips CD-i system. Discuss the emulator, compatibility issues, seek help and support to get the program operating and post what you'd like to see in future revisions of the program. CD-i players ROM (BIOS) requests, begging and links will not be tolerated. Otherwise feel free to post your thoughts on this amazing new piece of software.

Which is better, CDi or Gamecube? (let's see how fanboyish you lot are)

CDi
64%
Gamecube
36%

Total votes: 28

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:01 pm

Alas, there's only one of "us". But thanks for the credits, anyway!

Eat-an-Octorok
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Eat-an-Octorok » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:50 pm

"As for why bother making a cdi emulator...WTF?? in that case, why would anyone want to make a nes,snes,n64,ps,amiga,atari st, atari, gameboy, gba etc etc emulator...i mean they are all crap compared to the xbox eh?"

You're a moron who doesn't read my posts. I like old skool consoles, like NES, SNES etc. But CDi is not on their level. And when did I mention Xbox?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:15 pm

Oh dear here we go :roll:

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:15 pm

Could we keep it civilized, please, people? :roll:

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:39 pm

Hmm, can the NES or SNES do cd-audio and full-screen video? I don't think so :). How many colors do they have? Can you browse the internet with your (s)nes? Etc. All console have better and weaker points.

[Playfull]

Post by [Playfull] » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:10 pm

all have the rights to thier own oppions tho with that being said it ticks me off alittle becouse that guy prolly never had or played any of the CD-I games there was and prolly just looked the the "Apprentice" traser and thought that was the best ever game for the CD-I ..

my point are you cant judge anything you havent tryed yourself you cant judge a good game by a screenshots or teaser movie that dosent tell anything about GAMEPLAY what are the essence for a good game ....

great grapichs are bad grapichs in 1-2 years great gameplay lasts forever :)

and i would agree lets keep this in the friendly manner even a forum is about debating it should still be in a polite way :)

collect-o-maniac

Post by collect-o-maniac » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:14 pm

[Playfull] wrote:all have the rights to thier own oppions tho with that being said it ticks me off alittle becouse that guy prolly never had or played any of the CD-I games there was and prolly just looked the the "Apprentice" traser and thought that was the best ever game for the CD-I ..

my point are you cant judge anything you havent tryed yourself you cant judge a good game by a screenshots or teaser movie that dosent tell anything about GAMEPLAY what are the essence for a good game ....

great grapichs are bad grapichs in 1-2 years great gameplay lasts forever :)

and i would agree lets keep this in the friendly manner even a forum is about debating it should still be in a polite way :)

Could`nt have put it better myself. This was not supposed to have started a slanging match but merely to have pointed out the very fact of the above. Therefore i shall now batter myself with a wet kipper =)

Eat-an-Octorok

Post by Eat-an-Octorok » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:44 pm

"great grapichs are bad grapichs in 1-2 years great gameplay lasts forever"

When did I mention graphics? I am very anti graphics-whore. I am saying that Cdi never had any memorable games. Why else did it fail so badly? Name one classic CDi game which everyone had heard of. That's right, there are none. While the Nintendo systems have had many classic games, and the Playstation systems, while IMO are overrated, have had very popular games. Even the Dreamcast everyone still knows about.

But I bet no-one I know has even heard of the CDi.

collect-o-maniac

Post by collect-o-maniac » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:12 pm

"But I bet no-one I know has even heard of the CDi."

memorable games - kinda odd how everyone remembers the zelda on cdi and just how bad it was. anyone who even got close to a cdi remembers chaos control and dragons lair, space ace, mad dog mcree, 7th guest all games at their time that absolutely blew you away ( i was easily pleased with fmv games). mind you maybe i should mention a little game on cd-i you might have heard of called tetris :lol:

youve probably never heard of vectrex either :wink:

phew what id give to own one of those babies now :D

alot of people wouldnt remember the cd-i purely (at least i suspect so) because of how quickly they faded out mostly due to people not really being ready or fully understanding the concept at the time. However find any self respecting 25+ gamer and i guarantee they know of or at least have played-owned a cdi. The truth is theres lots of consoles, games etc that come onto the market that have a short life span. Anyone remember the dragon32 and vic20.....i loved my little vic 20 beep beep yay. And as for commodore 64 - *kneels to the gods and thanks for the sid chip*

so just to state those that actually even played-owned the cd-i are more than aware of *memorable* games and im sure were as disappointed as myself when production stopped :cry:

Foleyjo

Post by Foleyjo » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:05 pm

I have a Vectrex :P The MB model. I also remember the Dragon and of course the 2 Commodore machines. Vic and C64.

People remember Segas consoles and Nintendos Consoles because they were the biggest selling consoles in the 80's and as us 25+ year olds remember there was a massive console war between the 2 brands.

Nintendo machines themself havent all been that succesful.
Virtual Boy anyone???

[Playfull]

Post by [Playfull] » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:07 pm

Eat-an-Octorok wrote:"great grapichs are bad grapichs in 1-2 years great gameplay lasts forever"

When did I mention graphics? I am very anti graphics-whore.
why do you then judge some Screenshots of Zelda when you never played it on CD-I ??

sounds to you are going for grapichs not gameplay ...

besides you cant judge a good machine on bad marketing or what else goes wrong for a company there was other consules there was great there suffered the same fate as the CD-I even they where great and had good games ...

anyway this can go on and on ill make this as my last post...

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:36 pm

Please calm down....

Being poorly marketed in the first place was not a good start for cd-i. The system was developed in the mid-80's so that would explain the relatively slow CPU of the system, comparing to the playstation. When it was developed however, it was the state of the art, outrunning the NES' hardware easily. Ofcourse, for you it's about the games, but this wasn't the main goal of Philips at all. In fact, they may have overestimated the interest in such a versatile machine. And, as often with Philips products, it was far ahead of its time.

I think the cd-i system is great, and look how fast other developers (Sony's playstation and the Sega Dreamcast) copied the Digital Video Cartridge! I think it took them too much time to bring the cd-i on the market, and in the mean time game-developers were already interested in 'next-gen' systems.

Nonetheless the cd-i has seen some great exclusive software, including the only console version of the 7th Guest, Burn:Cycle and Litil Divil, Voyeur, very exclusive Nintendo licensed products (whether you like them or not), Excellent Full Motion Video Games like Mad Dog McCree, great visuals on Chaos Control, outlawing any console at that time. Excellent platform action with The Apprentice. Do you really think the cd-i does not have great games? They may not be memorable to you, but as you didn't play it, i can understand ;)
Last edited by Bas on Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

collect-o-maniac

Post by collect-o-maniac » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:33 pm

Even some of the best selling machines of their era hit hard times. A classic example of this is the commodore CDTV. Had some good games but was pretty much doomed from the start....anyone for 3DO :lol: And remember the amiga CD32 the list goes on and on. Gameplay is what ill go for everytime. P.S ....thanks Bas for unlocking :D

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Re: CDi is a crap system. Why the fuss?

Post by cdoty » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:22 pm

Eat-an-Octorok wrote:The CDi is crap. Why are you so excited about the Emulator?
The Atari 2600 is *super* crap, compared to even the CD-i, but people still love it. Games such as pitfall are still a lot of fun to play today.
Visit RasterSoft on facebook or visit the website.

NETGURU

Post by NETGURU » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:19 pm

My main reason for being excited about the CD-I emulator is the PC version of Burn: Cycle doesn't run on XP with any kind of emulator so this way I get to play it again yay! Was a cool game. Shame it ain't supported by the emulator yet.

tom