Trouble Copying "Richard Scarry's" Disc Images

CD-i Emulator is the first fully evolving windows compatible emulator project of the Philips CD-i system. Discuss the emulator, compatibility issues, seek help and support to get the program operating and post what you'd like to see in future revisions of the program. CD-i players ROM (BIOS) requests, begging and links will not be tolerated. Otherwise feel free to post your thoughts on this amazing new piece of software.
Kao
Softech Recruit

Trouble Copying "Richard Scarry's" Disc Images

Post by Kao » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:08 am

Hey, I was trying to get the disc image of both Richard_Scarry's_Best_Neighborhood_Disc_Ever and Richard_Scarry's_Busiest_Neighborhood_Disc_Ever.

Each disc, when run through ISOBuster produces this error:

These discs are from 1991 and are not in CD-I Ready format... so any ideas why I can't get the images?
It's like 1993 all over again!

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:00 am

Did you try with CloneCD? There may be something weird with the disc even though it isn't CD-i Ready...

collect-o-maniac
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by collect-o-maniac » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:12 pm

try ALCOHOL 120 works for meh :D

Kao
Softech Recruit

Post by Kao » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:50 pm

Thanks all.
Actually, CloneCD did a nice job getting the image. However, I still have a few questions.

ISOBuster generates two files, a .bin and a .cue. CloneCD, however, generates a .img, a .ccd. and a .sub file. I assume the .img file is exactly the same as a .bin file, but what is the purpose of the .ccd file and the 11 megabyte .sub file?

Edit: Uppon closer investigation, it appears CloneCD did not correctly get the disc image, but rather generated a 230 megabyte file with no actual data in it.
It's like 1993 all over again!

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:03 pm

The .ccd file contains information about the track structure of the disc just like the .cue file, but with considerably more details (i.e., an exact textual dump of the disc Table-Of-Contents or TOC, whereas the .cue file merely contains the information to generate it).

The .sub file contains the subcode information from the disc (96 bytes per sector), which allows exact reproduction of the disc. The only discs really needing this, as far as I know, are CD+G discs and some kinds of copy-protected discs, although I don't think there are any copy-protected CD-i discs around :-)

collect-o-maniac

Post by collect-o-maniac » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:29 pm

Edit: Uppon closer investigation, it appears CloneCD did not correctly get the disc image, but rather generated a 230 megabyte file with no actual data in it.

*cough* Alcohol 120%

And cdi fan is right. ive certainly never come across a cdi disc that cannot be backed-up. Including the 2 you mentioned kao.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:50 am

Now I'd be interested to learn what is so special about these discs.

What kind of image files did you make with Alcohol? Anything that can be learned from them?

collect-o-maniac

Post by collect-o-maniac » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:44 pm

alchohol makes .bin and .cue files but the real key is in the protection if any. On the very odd occasion you come accross a cd-i vcd title as an example that has to be ripped with bad sectors. Alchohol has always done this seemlessly for me. my suggestion when you try to create the files is to use the default settings in alchohol and use its `Image making wizard`. This has giving me perfect images everytime. hope this helps a little. The standard options would go something like this.....

skip reading errors - on
fast skip error blocks - on
advanced sector scanning - on
read sub-channel data - on
data position management - off

itll ask if the disc is protected and what type of protection it has...securerom etc etc. If your unsure just use general protected disc, that works for me. once youve done that let the programme do its stuff :D

so easy a smurf wearing his underwear on his head could do it :lol:

ooh more info....it compiles .mds and .ccd files for those interested

unblestone

Post by unblestone » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:26 pm

skip reading errors - on
I wouldn't recommend this when dumping mode 2 discs...

collect-o-maniac

Post by collect-o-maniac » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:50 pm

alas unblestone is 100% right....i was on my lappy at time and didnt have access to alchohol settings so just tried to remember off by heart. Ive double checked and my settings are as stated accept for the first one which is SKIP READING ERRORS - OFF. By on and off btw i mean a tick or not a tick, tick meaning on. I knew i shouldnt have had a pub meal today :D