CloneCD Ripping USA CD-i Ready Releases

CD-i Emulator is the first fully evolving windows compatible emulator project of the Philips CD-i system. Discuss the emulator, compatibility issues, seek help and support to get the program operating and post what you'd like to see in future revisions of the program. CD-i players ROM (BIOS) requests, begging and links will not be tolerated. Otherwise feel free to post your thoughts on this amazing new piece of software.
Devin
CDinteractive Admin

CloneCD Ripping USA CD-i Ready Releases

Post by Devin » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:30 am

I've just set about ripping my entire collection of SPC Vision CD-i Ready Releases for use under CD-i Emulator. All my European versions including the following were ripped to an image file with no problems whatsoever with the most recent version of Clone CD. As many of you know CloneCD is the only way to rip this CD-i Ready format into a working image file:
  • Accelerator
    Alien Gate
    Dimo's Quest
    Lucky Luck - The Video Game
    The Apprentice
    Uncover Featuring Tatjana
Then I started to rip my American versions of the above games including:
  • Alien Gate
    Dimo's Quest
    The Apprentice
For some reason these American versions will not rip using CloneCD with the exception of Alien Gate. The others get as far as ripping the data and then stalls indefinitely when it's supposed to move onto the audio tracks. An interesting point is that all these except the American Versions of Dimo's Quest and The Apprentice prompt my Windows 98 CD Player to automatically start playing the audio tracks upon inserting the disc. So why do the only two which CloneCD cannot rip NOT make the CD Player autostart, is this one of the same problem we're looking at?

Any help appreciated :roll:
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:12 am

Windows *should* recognize CD-i Ready as audio discs, that was the whole point of the CD-i Ready format. So there has to be something wrong (or at least different) with the two you cannot rip.

My US Apprentice ripped fine on a Pioneer DVR-107 drive using Windows XP and CloneCD 5.2.4.2.

It it possible to try another CD drive or another version of Windows?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:19 am

That's the trick, my CloneCD trial expired for the new Windows XP PC I have. So I started a new trial on my Windows 98 PC specifically to backup these CD-i Ready games then these two kicked up a fuss!! Guess I could spark up the old old ollllddddd PC and start another trial period to see if it works on that relic of computing technology.
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"

Kao
Softech Recruit

Post by Kao » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:22 am

If it's a time-based trial period, you should be able to set your computer clock back before the expiration date and use the software that way. Just be sure to change your clock back!

It's a little shady, but it works.
It's like 1993 all over again!