New Version - when?

CD-i Emulator is the first fully evolving windows compatible emulator project of the Philips CD-i system. Discuss the emulator, compatibility issues, seek help and support to get the program operating and post what you'd like to see in future revisions of the program. CD-i players ROM (BIOS) requests, begging and links will not be tolerated. Otherwise feel free to post your thoughts on this amazing new piece of software.
KuroNeko
Softech Recruit

New Version - when?

Post by KuroNeko » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:50 am

What's CDIfan working on at the moment? Any roadmap to new versions and features?

MPEG support scheduled for when?

Lots of questions...

Neko

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:34 pm

I'm also interested in some statistics of how popular the full version is!

I'm sure updates will follow, you're a bit impatient after two months already!

oaacdi
Softech Recruit

Post by oaacdi » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:50 pm

Well, two weeks ago a window showed up saying that I've been using the emulator for a long time, that it was time to check for updates! When I followed the link, of course, there are still no updates.
Bas wrote:I'm sure updates will follow, you're a bit impatient after two months already!

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:19 pm

I haven't been working much on anything emulator-related lately, due to other demands on my time and a bit of emulator-fatigue, really.

A few small extra features are in the making; nothing major yet. I have taken a first look at MPEG functionality, but not much more then that; it appears that the cartridge hardware is more advanced then I thought.

The "check updates" popup will appear every 30 days; that seemed like a reasonable time.

The full version has been a little bit more popular then I expected, but certainly not earth-shattering; I earn more with a few days of "normal" software development work...

Site visits, on the other hand, have gone *much* higher then I expected; the number of unique IP numbers is currently just over 9500, and on average I'm still seeing a few new ones every hour.

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:51 pm

Any news on when we can expect a new version? I just bought the full version a few days ago and I really like it. :) But I also hope that I didn't spend 25 Euro for something that will not being updated anymore. :roll:

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:37 pm

Check out the news on The Black Moon Project which CD-i Fan told us about on these forums. It indicates some preliminary work on Digital Video Emulation, extremely early days but it just goes to show that CD-i Emulator is being developed right as we speak!
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:48 am

Thanks. But honestly, I don't care about DV-Emulation that much currently. I would rather like to see a small update with some fixes, like remote control / control pad emulation via keyboard and support for multiple bios roms (meaning that you can select which one to use if you have more than one).

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Amen to that brother. I hadn't actually considered Multi-Bios support before, don't imagine that would be a drastic change to any code would it CD-i Fan? Just create a ROM folder to store the ROMS and a selection menu within the emulator then we're in business!

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:12 pm

You can already use the command-line option -model to select among your available ROMs. But a GUI for that would be possible, I guess...

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:37 pm

CD-i Fan you are dealing with the instant access to all areas "Lazy Generation" here! :wink:

We just want to click a button and it's done, instant coffee, instant ready meals, instant gaming kicks thus instant ROM access. We weren't all gamers of the BBC Micro/MS-DOS generation :roll:

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:22 pm

Devin wrote:We weren't all gamers of the BBC Micro/MS-DOS generation :roll:
Actually, I was. But MS-DOS is long gone, and I don't want to play around with command line options, it's a Windows application after all. ;)

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:28 am

Umm... well... no, it's really a command-line application :twisted:

There's a bit of GUI, of course, but that's really more of an add-on. :lol:

I have a command-line version that spits out one image file for each video refresh. Of course, it's impossible to control interactively, but a nice way to watch your player boot... Fills up your hard disk real quick though, at 50 x 768 x 576 x 3 = 66 MB of images per second of emulation in PAL :-)

Here's a GIF created from some of these images; the GIF dates from April 2005 but the images that went into it where much older.

This was probably close to my first working 605 bootup, for suitably loose definitions of "working"; this version used a very primitive video decoder that didn't support full interlace or plane transparency, that's why the images are 576 x 280 and there is no "Tools" text above the green button. It also didn't have sound output, mouse input nor even a compact disc controller.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:24 pm

You must have felt butterflies in your stomach the first time that image booted up into the emulator!

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:45 pm

cdifan wrote:You can already use the command-line option -model to select among your available ROMs. But a GUI for that would be possible, I guess...
Any news on that? I know that you are working hard on MPEG emulation, but why not release some smaller updates in the meantime? I would also love to see some kind of diary/blog with work-in-progress news or something. :roll:

Ruekov
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Ruekov » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:12 pm

Wow, good idea WindowsKiller!

:)