new 210 CD-i player on AUS eBay

Sell, trade or buy CD-i related items through this forum. All sales and trades are strictly private transactions, CDinteractive, Black Moon and the associated network accept no responsibility if a dispute arises from such transactions which are taken at your own risk.
Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

new 210 CD-i player on AUS eBay

Post by Shroo-man » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:53 am

a new in box Philips CD-i 210 Player for auction on Australian eBay --> click
I wonder if it was packaged differently for the Australian market. That power cable is an AUS one but it looks like he put that in himself. And we probably wouldn't get a SCART cable either as very few TVs here have SCART inputs. It was probably just imported directly from Europe...

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 am

Was CD-i even officially released in Austratlia? All Philips players came from Belgium, so they probably just put in the right connector and exported it to Australia? How much is 124.5 australian dollars?

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:08 am

Im pretty sure it wasn't but I reckon if people wanted to order it that Philips Australia would of been able to import it for them. Its like 3DOs they also werent released here but a few people actually had them, even my local gametraders sells 3DOs and games. I even heard of a place in my city where 3DOs were modified for Australian usage.

$125 AUD is about 63 EURO so its actually not that high. I easily managed to sell my old half broken CD-i 220 for $100 with WOG on a forum in a day or two.

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:43 am

Nice item.

I remember about 1 year ago there was a school selling new cd-i 370 for £50 (I wish I bought one) they had quite a few.

I'd probably go for this but would hate to think what shipping would be on something that large and heavy.

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:50 pm

hey King you can find out our international postage rates here

I found an interesting article that proves that some CD-i exist in Australia not imported by collectors - at least in the professional market.
http://www.ascilite.org.au/aset-archives/confs/iims/1992/shaw.html wrote:The first CD-I disc designed and developed in Australia featured the Victoria University of Technology. After a brief introduction, this program displays a Main Menu of options, including an explanation of where the University is situated, the courses offered, faculty structures, and a Producers Corner. If a user selects the "Where" option from the Main Menu, the program branches to a sequence of images in which a camera zooms onto a world map until finally reaching a detailed map of Melbourne and its western suburbs. Background music and a narrator's voice accompany this process, and icons identifying each of our four campuses are superimposed on the final map. Using the remote control device, a user can then select any one of these icons and take an audiovisual tour of the corresponding campus. Options to explore more detailed information about the location of Melbourne, including distances from other Australian cities and selected cities in Asia, USA and Europe are also available.

Similarly the "Courses" option enables a user to interactively explore the range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses available at the University. Again the user can select icons to extract more and more details about a specific field of interest, rather than receive an overload of information about all courses.

As an experimental product, this CD-I disc does not have commercial value. However we are now experienced with most aspects of CD-I production and have commenced the process of creating programs which target home consumers world wide.

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:50 pm

Thanks for the link - It'll be around £90 I reckon :shock:

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:04 pm

dug a little deeper :wink: and found info on more CD-i developed by Victoria University
The effective use of CD-I for presenting a company profile and for point of sale marketing is clearly demonstrated by our CD-I program developed for the multinational agricultural company, Debco Pty Ltd. This program was designed to inform the public about the company, its location, and range of products. Using colourful photographic images and a voice over description of the company, the opening scene presents a favourable impression of the company profile. The program then offers a range of products which can be selected for detailed information as a point of sale tool or simply as an interactive product guide. Note that the beginning scene enables the user to select one of three languages (English, Mandarin and Afrikaans), and this feature has contributed to the successful use of the program by the company in Australia, America, Asia and Africa.
One of our latest CD-I projects is a promotional and marketing disc featuring Victoria University of Technology, its courses and campus features. When our staff members travel overseas, particularly to Asia, they will be able to present an "interactive" profile of our University in multiple languages. Although CD-I players are available at most destinations, a small portable player which supports large screen displays will be used. This disc will also be available for use in exhibitions and other public places where information about education in Australia is being presented.
To illustrate the use of CD-I in industry based training, we have developed a short sequence for a client in the mining industry. This unit depicts a worker going through the procedure of taking a sample of ore from the mill feed and depositing the sample in a scaled bucket. A voice over explains each step of the process and, at the end of the sequence, there is a question answer session with appropriate feedback. All of the visual data used in this program were obtained from existing video stock, and therefore production of the CD-I version did not require expensive site visits with camera crews.
Training in the Health industry is illustrated by our CD-I program on blood groups. In this example computer generated graphics and animations are used to portray a microscopic view of blood corpuscles moving through a vein, and models of the various blood groups are used to explain their differences.

The animation was originally produced with a commercial animation package and individual frames were later converted to CD-I format. At the end of this training module, students are required to identify certain structures, such as the platelets, by moving the cursor to the correct image.
Foreign language learning for business purposes is another field of training in which CD-I is applicable. We have recently produced a CD-I disc containing 10 modules of Learning Vietnamese, based on materials taken from a 14 week course developed at Victoria University. The program enables students to select a sentence or conversation in Vietnamese, listen to the dialogue, or hear the English translation. Text is presented in both English and Vietnamese characters. Another feature of the design is a facility for obtaining in context information about the selected conversation. This option allows students to see and hear a description of the characters involved in the conversation, and helps convey a sense of meaning and action to the program.
In the Tourism industry CD-I can be used like an interactive brochure to promote a location or tourist facility. So far we have explored two products in the field of tourism, one selling the features of Melbourne and the other offering an adventure tour of Australia. The first example uses images and promotional material acquired from tourism authorities, and the disc contains items such as scenes of Melbourne, its restaurants, hotels and fashion houses. The other CD-I disc contains an interactive four wheel drive tour of Australia along the pathways taken by Peter Wherrett, the TV motoring personality. Most of the visual information used in this project came from 35 mm slides taken by four wheel drive enthusiasts, and was supplemented by materials supplied by tourism authorities.
Home entertainment, arcade games and interactive exhibitions in museums represent another aspect of the computer industry which is well served by CD-I technology. One of our products in this field, called "Guess the Future", is currently on exhibition at the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney. This program displays a window of motion video (depicting the host who presents questions in a dynamic way) and is surrounded by a group of animated characters who represent the members of the public who participate in the game. When a question is asked, the players in the game use special buttons to compete with each other and answer the multichoice questions. Curators at the museum have indicated that the game is very popular with visitors to the museum, particularly amongst school aged children
Looks like they experimented quite a bit with CD-i technology. Some interesting stuff even a Australian CD-i game. Heres one more quote before i go to work
The Victoria University of Technology has invested in a CD-I authoring station (CDI-605 Development System) with a companion suite of software tools, including Media Mogul. PC and Mac based graphics workstations have been installed, together with a CD-I emulating and disc burning system. Image capture, audio and video production is supported by the Media Services Unit of the University as well by CD-Images, a company which collaborates with the University on CD and video productions.
and here is the link http://www.ascilite.org.au/aset-archive ... /shaw.html

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

australian CD-i

Post by Shroo-man » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:45 am

I emailed the seller a while ago asking about how he acquired the CD-i player and this is the reply I got
This unit was one of three that were offered to me when a media company in Brisbane "downsized". They used these as the heart of multimedia "kiosks" with touch screens driving them.

It didn't even occur to me that they were not an Australian release and I didn't pay much attention to the paperwork. They were definitely packaged with an Australian power lead though.
He is gave away the other two units but he said he will see if they are not use and try to get me one. Then hopefully I'll be able to find out more especially if I can get this "paperwork" he mentioned