Looking for a CD-I console

Sell, trade or buy CD-i related items through this forum. All sales and trades are strictly private transactions, CDinteractive, Black Moon and the associated network accept no responsibility if a dispute arises from such transactions which are taken at your own risk.
novabeam10
Burn:Cycle Activated

Looking for a CD-I console

Post by novabeam10 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:03 pm

I am just getting into CD-I but I am having an extremely hard time tracking down a functional console, I'm in Canada (this is the only CD-I forum I ever saw) and all consoles on ebay I find are in the US and no seller will ship here (Or they charge like 120$US for shipping even though my atari 5200 which came from the states and is as large as the CD-I 200/900 class cost me 30$ for priority(with controllers AC brick and games))I know the slimmer 400 series are harder to get so I'd be happy with one of those large 200/900's
Were these things even sold in Canada?
Many thanks!!!

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Re: Looking for a CD-I console

Post by Shroo-man » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:01 pm

this is the only CD-i forum on the net at the moment although there have been rumours of an old forum returning. that postage sounds too high I think I paid around $100 US to get a console posted to Australia. It may be the same size a 5200 but most CD-i players weigh 6 kilo which is why postage is usually costly. the CD-i 450 model would be cheapest to post it is the smallest and lightest model (not counting the portable players).

novabeam10

Post by novabeam10 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:09 pm

heh the 5200's ac brick is like 1-2 kilo.
Just wondering are the 400's ultra rare to find especially working? (I think I can get the timekeeper repaired as my brother is an electrical engineer and probably could do the new IC socket fix.
Usually what would i be looking at cost wise (not including shipping per console version?

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:41 am

cd-i's "brick" or power supply is built into the console (except for the 450). Ive never bought a 4XX model but Id bet they are much more reliable than the 2XX series. with the 205/910, 210 and 220 models often the cd drive has ejection mechanism problems.

never bought a 450 from the US so I can't comment on postage or price on US models. but I have seen PAL 450 models sell for 10-20 euro with cables and controller (back when euro was a lot cheaper). I don't think the 470 and 490 even exist as NTSC/US models.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:59 pm

there have been rumours of an old forum returning
I guess you're refering to 'The World of CD-i'?
If you check the url regularly you see that the owner, djkoelkast, has been working on the engine already. I mean, there have been some changes. He wants to use a different format for the old website, ás The World of CD-i is based on some sort of blogger engine, just like Interactive Dreams. I hope he is able to fix it again, and I'm regularly contacting him to see how things are going. If everything goes as it used to be, I don't know, but I still have my hopes :)

novabeam10

Post by novabeam10 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:15 am

but I have seen PAL 450 models sell for 10-20 euro with cables and controller (back when euro was a lot cheaper). I don't think the 470 and 490 even exist as NTSC/US models.[/quote]

I figured as much. although I was surprised that there was a PAL version. none of the games I had seen from the UK indicated a PAL format to them

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:09 am

Bas - I consider it to be a rumor because id only believe it when I see it. its been gone so long and keeps getting delayed.
novabeam10 wrote:I figured as much. although I was surprised that there was a PAL version.
Actually there is much more PAL hardware and software released than NTSC. The CD-i wasn't too popular in the USA.
novabeam10 wrote:none of the games I had seen from the UK indicated a PAL format to them
I think you're a bit confused all UK and European games are PAL format. USA and Japanese games are NTSC format.

novabeam10

Post by novabeam10 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:52 am

novabeam10 wrote:none of the games I had seen from the UK indicated a PAL format to them
I think you're a bit confused all UK and European games are PAL format. USA and Japanese games are NTSC format.[/quote]

Not all, I have seen nintendo DS and GBA units that are NTSC compatible for some odd reason. I Made that comment because many if not all PAL games will have some some sort or labeling (usually a small white box with the format listed inside of it) or a different style of box/casing. The CD-I I have seen have neither and sometimes the seller can't tell. I know that sounds extremely weird but its what I've dealt with