The 'What You've Bought Recently' thread

Sell, trade or buy CD-i related items through this forum. All sales and trades are strictly private transactions, CDinteractive, Black Moon and the associated network accept no responsibility if a dispute arises from such transactions which are taken at your own risk.
K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

The 'What You've Bought Recently' thread

Post by K1ngArth3r » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:15 am

Copying the idea from www.sega8bit.com forum!

Post what you've recently purchase, post pics how much you paid and where you purchased from etc...

In the last month I've purchased:

CDI FW380i £60 Delivered Ebay
**No Picture Yet**

De Zaak Van Sam - £17 ish Ebay

The Joy Of S.E.X (Big Box Edition) £7 Ebay

Micro Machines £2 Ebay
A load of CD-I movies £10 Ebay

GameMaster Gore Special VCD £17 Ebay

j_eits
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by j_eits » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:50 pm

I bought two very nice items in march (both on eBay):
Paws (23 Pound)
Making the grade (~38 Pounds, which is the most I've ever spend for a CD-i item)

BTW: Can you post a pic of the GameMaster Gore Special VCD?

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:38 pm

Picture of the GamesMaster Gore Special as requested

j_eits

Post by j_eits » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:36 am

K1ngArth3r wrote:Picture of the GamesMaster Gore Special as requested
Thanks for the quick reply! (I still need to decide if I want to have that one for my collection or not...)
Last edited by j_eits on Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:29 pm

wow, j_eits, you bought Making the Grade? That's interesting, I hope you can make some in-game pictures and hopefully even a video! Making the Grade is one of few titles which we don't have any info of, except from the cover and a description!

j_eits

Post by j_eits » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:39 pm

Bas wrote:wow, j_eits, you bought Making the Grade? That's interesting, I hope you can make some in-game pictures and hopefully even a video! Making the Grade is one of few titles which we don't have any info of, except from the cover and a description!
I've already taken some screenshots of both games, but as videogamecollector.com is down at the moment I can't publish them yet. (of cause I can send them to you in an email if you like.) The screenshots are mainly from the introduction and the beginnig of the game, as it'll take a lot of time to have a deeper look at the gameplay. I've tried to make CD-i videos, but the problem is, that my set-up (PC, tv-box, CD-i player + software) produces a green screen as soon as I push the record-button... It still records, but of cause I can't play a game.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sat May 30, 2009 7:54 am

hey j_eits, have you got some time to make some ingame footage of the gameplay? I'm very interested to see that!

tgn_rogue
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by tgn_rogue » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:16 am

Peacekeeper Revolver, £28, Ebay
Thunder In Paradise, £10, Ebay
Merlins Apprentice, £4.99, Ebay

Also while not technically CDi related, I also bought the replica of the gun used in Escape From Cyber City (Galaxy Express 999/Captain Harlock) along with another weapon not seen in the game for about £60 for the pair, including postage from ebay.

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:49 pm

Nice, I didn't even know you could buy real guns from ebay :) Learn something new everyday.

Where the games you purchased new>

tgn_rogue
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by tgn_rogue » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:34 pm

K1ngArth3r wrote:Nice, I didn't even know you could buy real guns from ebay :) Learn something new everyday.

Where the games you purchased new>
Isn't a "reaL" gun, is a replica, like a collectable model more than anything.

And yes they were.

Lios

Post by Lios » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:30 am

Won an auction for a DVS VE-200 cd-i player on the bay yesterday:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DVS-CD-Interactive- ... 439ad55936

For $9.95 + ~$15 to ship, it was re-listed once due to zero bids. Seems like the seller didn't do a good job listing it, the only way i found it was by searching "cd interactive". Most people probably don't realize it can play cd-i games anyways, and there is zero mention of Philips, the company that is always associated with cd-i (They did take a HUGE part in it's development after all). Personally I had to do some research on it before I placed a bid, as I wasn't 100% sure it was cd-i capable at first either.

Seems like a pretty nice model, aimed at the cd-i's primary interactive kiosk market. VCD 1.1 and 2.0 capable, ntsc/pal switch, modem and printer ports, even front control panels controls that could probably even be used to play games with, not that anyone would ever want to do that :P.

I'm sure it has a dvc, the mpeg decoding capabilities give that away. Only down side is it only has composite output, which is kinda ironic, as the VE-100 budget model had s-video output. Not that it really matters, it's getting rgb modded as soon as it's in my hands ;).

Full specs retrieved from archive.org backup of dvs's site from 2000:

"Specifications:

* High resolution MPEG still picture (768 x 480)
* Standard front loading CD mechanism
* 360 x 93 x 322mm, 3.5Kg, AC 15W 5-35 degree C, 5%-95% humidity
* NTSC/PAL switchable
* CE, FCC Class B, UL, TUV, CSA

Formats:

* CD-i, CD-i Ready
* Video CD 1.1, Video CD 2.0
* CD-DA, CD Bridge, Photo CD

Video:

* MPEG1
* NTSC: 384 (H) x 240 (V) pixels
PAL: 384 (H) x 280 (V) pixels

Back Panel:

* Audio L/R Out : 2 RCA jacks, 2.0 Vrms +/- 3dB (1kHz)
* Composite Video Out: RCA jack, 1.0 Vpp +/- 10% (75 ohms)
* 25 pin D-Sub Parallel Printer Port
* 25 pin D Sub RS-232C Serial Port. For Modem connection, standard CD-i pointing device and other RS-232C devices.
* DC Power Output connector - 5V/30mA

Front Panel:

* Power On/Off button
* Remote Control Sensor
* Tray Open/Close button
* 8-pin mini-DIN RS-232C Serial Port. For CD-i pointing devices and other RS-232C devices.
* 4-way Thumbpad for Cursor Control and Highlighted Menu Navigation
* Left/Right Action Select buttons
* Headphone Jack and Volume Control

Remote Control:

* 4-way Thumbpad for Cursor Control and Menu Navigation
* Left/Right Action Select buttons
* Buttons: Volume +, Volume -, Play, Return, Previous, Next, Pause, Stop, Open/Close "

Out of curiosity, anyone have this model? I was just wondering what people's experience with it is.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:45 pm

Lios wrote:Out of curiosity, anyone have this model? I was just wondering what people's experience with it is.
That's an absolute steal at under $30! I also have one of these and it is without a doubt the best CD-i player I ever used. Although this is a DVS it is basically a rebadged LG GDI-700 (which I also have, shame about the broken laser transport though!). I'd be very interested to learn what modifications you have planned for this unit.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:13 pm

That would be this one, right?

Looks very nice; it doesn't emulate any further then this :(

Lios

Post by Lios » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:53 am

Devin wrote:
Lios wrote:Out of curiosity, anyone have this model? I was just wondering what people's experience with it is.
That's an absolute steal at under $30! I also have one of these and it is without a doubt the best CD-i player I ever used. Although this is a DVS it is basically a rebadged LG GDI-700 (which I also have, shame about the broken laser transport though!). I'd be very interested to learn what modifications you have planned for this unit.
Ah so that's why the seller mentioned it being a LG player when it clearly say DVS VE-200 on the unit itself.

As far as modifications, probably just rgb out and possibly progressive video, unless someone knows of some other nifty mods for it.

The player already has a ntsc<->pal switch so I am good there. I am going to put the rgb through a rgb to component encoder, as I do not have scart or any rgb tv.

I am still researching the non interlaced modes of the bt9107kpj enocder in the system to see if it's feasible. Originally I was looking at the motorola datasheet, and determined that without hacking the bios (a register must be set for the processor to output in progressive) it wasn't happening. Then I realized, because the motorola is going through a video encoder, namely the bt910kpj, it doesn't matter what modes it is in, so long as the 8 bits of rgb are being outputted to the encoder.

I could not locate an exact datasheet on the bt9107kpj, however I found one of one of their other chips, which seems to be identical pinout wise: the bt856/bt857.

http://www.linuxmedialabs.com/Downloads/LSI/l856_c.pdf

Assuming the pinouts are the same, pretty much all is needed is to set the rgbout pin to high (tie to VAA) and to tap the rgb and h/v sync lines and feed them to your display. Also it seems if a particular register is set a certain way, you can make your own pal/ntsc switch by switching the PAL pin between power and ground, going through a 10k pull up resistor of course.

@cdifan Don't know yet, I will in a few days though ;)

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:41 pm

Switching PAL and NTSC also requires timing adjustment in the VDSC which is a software issue and cannot normally be done just by twiddling an input pin of the encoder. OTOH, it could be that the ROMs read that input and act on it, I don't know. Anyway, you said it already has a PAL/NTSC switch, so what would be the point?

Regarding progressive, I think you're out of luck...