Question about Homebrew

Support forum for homebrew development on the Philips CD-i system. Hosted through the CDinteractive network the CD-i Homebrew Forum will provide an active resource for new software initiatives on the system and offer hosting for any serious attempts.
phatrat1982
Softech Recruit

Question about Homebrew

Post by phatrat1982 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:28 am

what programming language do you have to work in does it make a difference and also if one wanted to say port a Sega, Sega CD, or Super Nintendo game directly to the console would that be possible? Also how does CD-i compare spec wise to those consoles is it superior, on par, inferior to any of them or just comparable?

I started work a couple of times on a 32X homebrew game a few times but never got past the start up and title screen because 32x had to be written in an specific form of Basic that was confusing to me.

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:55 am

You can use C and 68000 assembly language to write games.

Porting a game from either the Genesis or SNES would require a decent amount of rewriting. The CD-i does not have a built in sprite or tile system, you have to write the code to blit the tiles and sprites to the screen (and erase the sprites from the screen).

It would be closer to writing an Atari ST game with the advantage of a 256 color screen (one byte is one pixel) and two separate graphic planes. The CD-i does not have a blitter like the original Atari STE, but does have something almost, but not quite, entirely unlike the copper in the Amiga.
Visit RasterSoft on facebook or visit the website.