Manual for CD-i 350

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Manual for CD-i 350

Post by WindowsKiller » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:09 pm

Hi,

I finally got myself a CD-i 350 "portable" player, but it did not come with a manual. I don't really need the manual, as the player is easy to operate. But since I'm a collector, I want to have it anyway. :roll: So, anyone here who own the manual and could scan it in for me?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:50 pm

Remember, the official manuals of almost every Philips product can be download from their support site.

Download the manual for the CD-i 350 player right here. (click on user manual in the left column)

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:55 pm

I didn't know that, thanks! :)

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:36 pm

The quality of those PDFs offered by Philips seems to be quite inferior, I think we should start something like a "CD-i manual preservation project". :)

Seriously, I've got the manuals for the CD-i 210 and 450/550 and I could scan them with 300 dpi, so that the quality, when printed, is equal to the original ones. Provided that someone is interested...

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:22 pm

That's a nice idea! Ofcourse we can host those files, that shouldn't be the problem. I think it'll be harder to get a wide variety of manuals, don't you think?

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:33 pm

Bas wrote:I think it'll be harder to get a wide variety of manuals, don't you think?
It's at least worth a try. The good thing is that the manuals were multilingual, so we have to deal with only one manual per player in most cases.

I'm the owner of retro-net.de by the way, so I can host the files as well. I could also create a small website if needed.

oaacdi
Softech Recruit

Manuals

Post by oaacdi » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:49 am

I have the one for the 350 and one for the 490. Any specs on the pdf creation? Then I can send them and be hosted. Let me know if I can help.

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:20 am

Don't create a PDF file, just send the images as either png (preferred) or jpeg. We can always create a PDF file out of it later, when we know the best way to do it. :)

My email address is webmaster@retro-net.de, there's also a ftp account for uploading on my server. So if you prefer using ftp, let me know!

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:19 am

Seems like there's really some interest in such a project. :)

I did some testing and found out that 200 dpi will do as well. There's not much difference when printing, even small text can be read clearly. So to make the files smaller, I recommend scanning with 200 dpi instead. Moreover, the color mode should be set to "Greyscale" for all pages that aren't in color. This will reduce the file size even more.

I'm currently scanning the manuals for CDI 550 (Italian), CDI 210 (multilingual) and CDI 450 (multilingual). oaacdi will scan the ones for 350 and 490. That's a good start, isn't it? :lol:

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:38 am

That's a great start! Keep us updated when we can go have a look! I don't have any manuals myself (well, not even a scanner :)) but everyone who can add one >> let's!

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:28 pm

I'll set up a website at http://cdi.retro-net.de soon, so stay tuned! :)

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Wed May 17, 2006 4:59 pm

Just wanted to inform you that the project is not dead, but I underestimated the time needed to clean up the scans. Two manuals are roughly done so far, but I'm not fully satisfied with the result yet.

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:45 am

I finally had to give up the project, unfortunately. :( I lost contact to oaacdi and never got his scans of the 350 manual. And no one else ever offered to scan other manuals, so only two were done in the end. Too less to start a website, but I'll make available what's done soon.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:54 am

The old 'donation' problem! :wink:

Don't lose hope. It could be a slow burning project, much like Black Moon... still haven't completed updating that damn Game/Resource List!
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"

Gir Draxa
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Gir Draxa » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:37 am

Ah, manual archiving. We wanted to do that for the Collective many moons ago, but lacked time and webspace to hold them. Wanted to archive all the print items we had, but it became more and more of a time consuming issue.

Here's a couple samples of incomplete works :

http://www.geocities.com/drdude45/gunmanual.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/drdude45/PMProcdicatalog.jpg

Let me hear from you folks if you want more.

Drax
CEO of the (in search of a home) CD-i Collective and 3DO Collective