Anyone else collecting Philips VCD's?

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Paisley CDi
Burn:Cycle Activated

Anyone else collecting Philips VCD's?

Post by Paisley CDi » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:06 am

Is anyone else collecting the VCD's that were released by Philips Media specifically for use with the cdi player? They were the main reason for buying a player in 1995 for me. The quality was so much better than the VCD's released later on in Asia including the legal official releases. I think the quality still holds up today, even in the DVD era. Of course not as good as DVD but still impressive. And what titles would be considered rare now? I'm still looking for "The Pink Panther", "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang", and the first "Robocop" but I have seen all 3 them before on eBay.

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:43 am

I'm also sort of collecting them :). Not actively buying them, but only when they turn up i a lot with stuff I want. I think the videocd catalogue was rather large, I keep seeing new titles. As far watching them, nowadays I'm mostly watching laserdisc and dvd. Those have much better quality...

Paisley CDi

Post by Paisley CDi » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:40 pm

Am into Laserdiscs as well :wink: It's a shame VCD's were hardly ever released in widescreen.

Anyone who's interested in the VCD's that Philips released in the States only, like the Robocop and Rambo series, Dances with Wolves, Total Recall etc. should check out eBay seller darkodigital http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DIGITAL-VIDEOS ... idZ2QQtZkm

I bought 9 titles and received them from Canada within a week, all sealed! Shipping to Europe is very reasonable as well.

superogue

Post by superogue » Tue May 02, 2006 8:41 pm

cool,

i'm usually into dvd and laserdisc, and i have about 15 video cdi's
i have (phillips releases) that i might start collecting :p
if any dutchies here have spares left, i might be interested ;-)
i'll check out the ebay seller too.

martijn

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Wed May 03, 2006 4:31 pm

Well, after cycling home from the laserdisc store, I've decided to sell almost my video cd's :). Should be about 200 to 300 titles, not sure about that. Located in Holland, I can make a list of course, but that will take some time. It's been ages since I've last watched a videocd and I have almost all the better titles either on laserdisc or dvd.

Captain J
Softech Recruit

Post by Captain J » Wed May 03, 2006 5:50 pm

you actually have a laserdisc store there? lucky!
Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

Paisley CDi

Post by Paisley CDi » Thu May 04, 2006 1:04 am

Yeah, WTF where is this laserdisc store :shock:

Anyway, seen your list in the other post, will probably send you a PM tomorrow, some good titles you've got there. :)

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Thu May 04, 2006 8:59 am

It's not that they are still selling them in the sotre, just that they have lots of old stock. There is a laserdisc store in The Netherlands however, http://www.rodisc.nl

phatrat1982
Softech Recruit

Post by phatrat1982 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:50 am

I mostly only collect the movies and in fact I don't even have a proper player or anygames but someday I hope to get one. When I have some money that is.