TeleCD-i

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Bas
CDinteractive Admin

TeleCD-i

Post by Bas » Sun May 21, 2006 4:31 pm

Today I noted this part was added to the Wikipedia section about CD-i:

TeleCD-i

Recognizing the growing need among marketers for networked multimedia Philips partnered in 1992 with Amsterdam based CDMATICS to develop TeleCD-i (also TeleCD). In this concept the CD-i player is connected to a network (PSTN, Internet or other) enabling data-communication and rich media presentation. Dutch grocery chain Albert Heijn and mail-order giant Neckermann Shopping were early adopters and introduced award-winning TeleCD-i applications for their home-shopping and delivery services. CDMATICS also developed the special Philips TeleCD modem plus a set of software tools for the CD-i industry to develop and implement TeleCD-i's in a standardized manner. TeleCD-i was the world's first networked multimedia application at the time of its introduction. In 1996 Philips acquired the source codes from CDMATICS.

Anyone care to elaborate on this?