If I were to sell my SMWW prototype.......

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Captain J
Softech Recruit

If I were to sell my SMWW prototype.......

Post by Captain J » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:43 pm

........what in the world would i price it at? I was pondering the thought of parting with it but im not sure the worth. Correct me if I'm wrong Devin but isnt there only three in existance that you know about? I bought it for $200usd about 2 years ago but I know its got to be worth alot more than that if there is only three! anyways id like to hear everyones thoughts.
Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:34 pm

with all respect if i had to pay that much for other prototype discs I wouldn't get them in the first place. I think 200$ is a lot of money. Just start at a low price and let ebay bidders bid against each other, soon you'll know what it's actually worth.

However, now that it's on p2p available for download that easy perhaps devaluates the disc don't you think ;)

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:53 pm

I'm a little fuzzy on your prototype. I know of one located in Europe then oldergames had a couple in America. Did you buy one off of oldergames or another source? Perhaps you bought off the people that ISOed it and originally purchased it from oldergames. All very confusing, depending on the method you acquired yours I'm aware of three. Although more must exist somehwhere 'out there', it's still a rare item. But lets face it, not as breath taking as a cartridge prototype seeing as it comes on plain old CDR media.

Be kinda cool to own an original from a collectors point of view.
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:13 pm

Well, to me there's not really much difference between an actual prototype and an ISO that someone burnt on a cd-r, so I would also guess the value would be a lot less than $200. Authentication is also a problem (IIRC Oldergames also offered to sell copies). But I can't say I really understand CD-i pricing :). Best way to find out would be eBay indeed.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:52 pm

Yeah I have mixed feelings on the subject as well.

Whilst it is just a CDR, if authenticated then it's special to think that you'd be holding the same prototype handled by the original developers. If you do ebay the item then you'll need to convince us (the CD-i community) it is authentic and promote it as a collectable piece. With plenty of high quality photos to backup your claim of authenticity.

Captain J
Softech Recruit

Post by Captain J » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:29 pm

Devin wrote:If you do ebay the item then you'll need to convince us (the CD-i community) it is authentic and promote it as a collectable piece. With plenty of high quality photos to backup your claim of authenticity.
but i have sent you many pics over the years and you already told me you belived it was authentic! :D

Captain J
Softech Recruit

Post by Captain J » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:38 pm

regardless of that, since a picture is worth a thousand words, here are the pics (by the way those little "spots" are from the camera, not from the disc, the disc is 100% mint

first a pic of the disc itself

then a closer pic of the inner ring. it has a code on it that reads: VO.11 3-03-93 which should be around the time that this proto would have been created or around. i dont believe anyone even had the knowledge or equipment of how to download an iso onto a disc in 1993. it looks like the VO.11 is a version code from the developers, which explains by there are a few different versions out there, and then of course the date is self explanatory.

i bought this disc off a guy from ebay 2 years ago who said he got it from a flea market type of thing in the netherlands years before i bought it. let me know what you guys think!

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:10 pm

Captain J wrote:But I have sent you many pics over the years and you already told me you belived it was authentic! :D
You don't have to convince me though do you! :wink:

Remind me, was this one bought before it was released in ISO form? That would go some way to confirm it as real. Like I stated to you before the writing looks identical to all the SMWW prototypes I have seen so far. A flea market in the Netherlands does sound like the place it would turn up as well!

Captain J
Softech Recruit

Post by Captain J » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:14 pm

yes it was bought before the big iso boom which in my opinion i wish never happened. dont get me wrong i am happy people got to try it out but it took away a bit of the coolness of the original prototypes.

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:49 pm

I doubt that it's authentic. The only SMWW prototype whose authenticity is proven has exactly the same writing on it (v0.11 3-03-93), but comes on a TDK CD-R. This one looks like one of those cheap CD-R's which came available much later than 1993. If they had to burn more than one prototype at the same day, they would have surely used CD-R's of the same brand.

Moreover, writing directly on the unprotected surface wasn't a common practice back then, as CD-R's were very unreliable at that time. And why would they write the name of the game onto the upside, but squeeze the version information into the inner ring? Doesn't make sense, the disc just looks bogus.

By the way, the ISO is available since March of 2003, so if you bought it 2 years ago, the ISO was already widely spread.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:37 pm

WindowsKiller wrote:Moreover, writing directly on the unprotected surface wasn't a common practice back then, as CD-R's were very unreliable at that time. And why would they write the name of the game onto the upside, but squeeze the version information into the inner ring? Doesn't make sense, the disc just looks bogus.

By the way, the ISO is available since March of 2003, so if you bought it 2 years ago, the ISO was already widely spread.
Both good points, the key remains with the media Joe.

I'd research that angle a little more. All three prototypes I've seen keep the writing within the middle ring which is the one major discrepancy. The media did vary between prototypes however, a couple were TDK and the last was YAMAHA.

Dig through your e-mails joe (I'll do the same!) and see when the ebay auction actually was. That way I can check the precise ISO release date against when you purchased this item.

Captain J
Softech Recruit

Post by Captain J » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:38 pm

WindowsKiller wrote:The only SMWW prototype whose authenticity is proven has exactly the same writing on it (v0.11 3-03-93)
but how would someone know to write that on my disc years ago when i bought it, the prototype information isnt known by alot of people, just the very interested cd-i community

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:44 pm

Captain J wrote:but how would someone know to write that on my disc years ago when i bought it, the prototype information isnt known by alot of people, just the very interested cd-i community
There was a photo of the prototyp disc available when it first turned up in 2003.

Captain J
Softech Recruit

Post by Captain J » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:51 pm

Devin wrote:
WindowsKiller wrote:Moreover, writing directly on the unprotected surface wasn't a common practice back then, as CD-R's were very unreliable at that time. And why would they write the name of the game onto the upside, but squeeze the version information into the inner ring? Doesn't make sense, the disc just looks bogus.

Both good points, the key remains with the media Joe.

I'd research that angle a little more. All three prototypes I've seen keep the writing within the middle ring which is the one major discrepancy. The media did vary between prototypes however, a couple were TDK and the last was YAMAHA.

Dig through your e-mails joe (I'll do the same!) and see when the ebay auction actually was. That way I can check the precise ISO release date against when you purchased this item.
here are the topics discussed on the blackmoon project 3 years ago:

first with the sellers comments (as well as devins and bas's)

http://www.forumplanet.com/classicgamin ... 162362&p=1

and second with me coming in, and it looks like i bought it off of ebay in october of 1993

http://www.forumplanet.com/classicgamin ... id=1181007
Last edited by Captain J on Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain J
Softech Recruit

Post by Captain J » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:56 pm

im pretty sure the disc is either:

http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/pro ... 4m1250.asp

or

http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/pro ... 4m1650.asp

although the disc to me looks very much like the first one, i have used these along time ago, and these links are from yamaha's "discontunued" line of media. also my smww disc has the code letters "YH" factory screened on the disc which could stand for yamaha