CDi one of the lamest consoles ever, according to.....

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
thomas
Softech Recruit

CDi one of the lamest consoles ever, according to.....

Post by thomas » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:38 pm

http://www.gamedaily.com/features/?id=1175

I hope you guys have someting to say about this!!!

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:11 am

Well we're pretty used to lame articles about lame consoles!

It's not a bad feature actually, although a little inaccurate as to be expected.

tgn_rogue
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by tgn_rogue » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:54 am

Not bad, but it was was waay too predictable that Mario and Zelda would be mentioned in there, although personally I like them better than some of the newer Zelda and Mario titles lol.

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Re: CDi one of the lamest consoles ever, according to.....

Post by WindowsKiller » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:06 am

thomas wrote:http://www.gamedaily.com/features/?id=1175

I hope you guys have someting to say about this!!!
That article deserves no comment... :roll:

thomas
Softech Recruit

Post by thomas » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:12 pm

and anyway, the Atari Lynx and Nokia N-Gage are not lame at all either...

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:19 pm

Exactly. The problem is, that the author of that article equate commercial failure with bad/lame hardware. That's the worst thing one can do, and it clearly disqualifies the author as a serious journalist...

rdjnl
Softech Recruit

Post by rdjnl » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:50 pm

I also had a Atari Lynx, and I liked it.

If I have to believe this article, I have a bad taste for game consoles apparently. LOL :wink:

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:16 pm

The technical aspects of the lynx were much better than the gameboy and the gamgear. Too bad the color screen drained the batteries .... And there was no-one to play a comlynx game with because I didn't know anyone with a lynx... etc...

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:46 pm

the article itself is very lame, he doesn't tell anything about cd-i, just that is was expensive, and a vague but made up call: "the animated fantasy adventure Dragon's Lair and attractive, but static brainteaser The 7th Guest, neither praised for their scope or creativity."
Looks like Scott Steinberg never touched or played a CD-i ever before :D

phatrat1982
Softech Recruit

Post by phatrat1982 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:43 am

WindowsKiller wrote:Exactly. The problem is, that the author of that article equate commercial failure with bad/lame hardware. That's the worst thing one can do, and it clearly disqualifies the author as a serious journalist...

I agree with this, one of my favorite and most revered classic gaming consoles is the 32X and I think that gets way more hate than CD-i does.

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:54 pm

Hmmm ... I was rather dissapointed w/the 32X. I own one, but its small, largely unimpressive library, coupled w/the fact that it really hurt Segas credibility w/the Saturn/DC left a sour taste with me.

phatrat1982
Softech Recruit

Post by phatrat1982 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:31 pm

I know that now but back in 94 it was the console I wanted more than anything. I dreamt of getting one. Sure when I actually did get one years latter it was a dissapointment but I still hold onto those memories of what in my mind I felt it was. I kinda hate Sega for doing that to everyone, 32X, SVP, Sega CD, and then Saturn all one after another. If they would have stuck with SVP for Genesis and Sega CD for Discs they could have lasted longer and Saturn could have been a success but as far as I know hey only made 1 SVP game and it sucked.

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:44 pm

There are a few games for it I like. Probably the best is VR Racing which, for some odd reason, is way better than the Saturn version. Most of the small library though is average 16 bit games.

The hype it got prior to release made it sound way better than it turned out to be. I got burned, buying one near launch for like $150 bucks. :(

phatrat1982
Softech Recruit

Post by phatrat1982 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:45 pm

the only games I had were Shadow Squadron, Zaxxons Motherbase 2000, Tempo, Doon, MKII, Cosmic Carnage, NBA Jam TE, Primal Rage, 36 Holes Golf (or whatever it was called), and Super Hang On and Virtua Fighter I skipped Virtua Racing Deluxe cuz I had the SVP version on Genesis. I got mine in 2004 so it was long dead and buried by then but my evaluation was sorta mixed. I felt MKII, Super Hang On, that golf game, Primal Rage and even Tempo all were no better than standard Genesis games. I was fairly impressed with Zaxxon, Shadow Squadron, and NBA Jam TE because those games all looked good compared to competing games and much better than anything Genesis was already doing. I have since played the remaining games via emulation and yeah taken as a whole the console had a very small handful of decent games and if you only had two or three during it's day yeah I can see feeling cheated. But I still have fond memories maybe mostly because I never did own one.

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:25 am

Yeah, if I had bought it after it was discontinued for like $30-$40 I probably would have been happy.

Actually, most consoles I buy are later on in their life. Not necessarily discontinued, but have been on the shelf long enough to have a price drop. That way I can quickly build up a library of cheaper games.