Defuncts' 33 consoles of Christmas: Philips CD-i Edition

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Defuncts' 33 consoles of Christmas: Philips CD-i Edition

Post by Bas » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:28 pm

I'm sure they're waiting for our comments, and Cyril (I think) even mentions us when talking about "There are people out there that already think that we (as in Defunct Games) have something against the Philips CD-i."

No way! First create your own opinion and then read mine:

"the Philips CD-i is one of the ugliest consoles ever made." He starts with. Reading on I figure Mr. Cyril is in the supposition that there is only one CD-i player: the 450. He thinks that one is ugly. He also claims "what you can't see is how unbelievably huge the console is." I think we're talking about a different type. Unfortunately, he doesn't give any arguments or example, so he leaves me again in the supposition he doesn't no squad about what he's talking about. I think the console is the most 'adult' designed system around. The 450 is smaller than lots of other consoles. So Cyril, what the hell are you talking about? It's another downgrade for Defunct.

The only thing they talk about is about the second controllerport being on the back of the console. Without further thinking why they did this. Sorry, bad article. Not recommended.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:04 pm

They've obviously never seen a DVE DVS-200!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:24 pm

To add, I think the portable editions are the most beautiful video consoles I've ever seen....

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:51 pm

To be honest all the consoles look complete and utter rubbish to me with two exceptions.

SEGA GENESIS: This design to me was fantastic, both functional and it gave a real impression of power underneath that black exterior.

SONY PSP: For the above two reasons and damn that screen looks so good. This would be my number 1 console design EVER.

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:09 pm

hehe, the 450 won a award for best industrial design :).

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:32 pm

Erronous wrote:hehe, the 450 won a award for best industrial design :).
I loved the built-in upgrade possibility of the DVC on top, and Defunct may call it a 'Sports Arena', I think it's a great design, and not at all huge!

The cheapest one, that's for sure!

rupert
Burn:Cycle Activated

Re: Defuncts' 33 consoles of Christmas: Philips CD-i Edition

Post by rupert » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:16 pm

Bas wrote:I'm sure they're waiting for our comments, and Cyril (I think) even mentions us when talking about "There are people out there that already think that we (as in Defunct Games) have something against the Philips CD-i."

No way! First create your own opinion and then read mine:

"the Philips CD-i is one of the ugliest consoles ever made." He starts with. Reading on I figure Mr. Cyril is in the supposition that there is only one CD-i player: the 450. He thinks that one is ugly. He also claims "what you can't see is how unbelievably huge the console is." I think we're talking about a different type. Unfortunately, he doesn't give any arguments or example, so he leaves me again in the supposition he doesn't no squad about what he's talking about. I think the console is the most 'adult' designed system around. The 450 is smaller than lots of other consoles. So Cyril, what the hell are you talking about? It's another downgrade for Defunct.

The only thing they talk about is about the second controllerport being on the back of the console. Without further thinking why they did this. Sorry, bad article. Not recommended.
Maybe he is talking about the 210 as that is rather large compared with most consoles and quite 'adult' looking, i wouldnt call it ugly though. I guess they thought it was more of a familly thing that would be in the lounge/ living room rather than some kids bedroom.

my fave looking console (after the master system 1 of course) is probly the wondermega..

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:29 pm

When he's calling it a 'Sports Arena', I'm pretty sure he's referring to the 450 player..... Nice pics by the way! That's quite an exotic format too, never really heard of it.... is it the same as the MegaCD we had here? you have it?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:51 pm

That WonderMEGA looks very nice, cool illumination as well. I have a JVC X'EYE which is similar but not quite as robust looking as the Japanese version there.

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:26 pm

rupert wrote:Maybe he is talking about the 210 as that is rather large compared with most consoles and quite 'adult' looking, i wouldnt call it ugly though.
Of course, he's talking about the 210. (2nd port on the back, does not apply to the 450)

When talking about the 210, I would even agree. I sold my 210 because of that, it's rather ugly, huge and has a lot of unused space on the front. I never understood why Philips didn't add some more buttons for audio cd playback instead of leaving large areas of the front panel just empty.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:33 pm

WindowsKiller wrote:Of course, he's talking about the 210. (2nd port on the back, does not apply to the 450)
ok, you mixed up the two opinions that were given. If Chad was talking about the 210 (or any other with the 2nd port on the back!), I can understand, but when that should be both Chad and Cyril talk different ways. Even more confusing...

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:38 pm

Bas wrote:ok, you mixed up the two opinions that were given.
I didn't, just follow the quotes. The question is what Cyril was talking about.

Tom
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Tom » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:42 pm

I own a CD-i 210 and I must truly say it is the most ugly and most massive system I own. It's pretty ugly too. Didn't play on any other type of CD-i.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:43 pm

WindowsKiller wrote:I didn't, just follow the quotes. The question is what Cyril was talking about.
Dude, I hate to correct you, but the quote starts with me. I'm talking about Cyril calling the console huge and a "sports-arena"-look-a-like. That can't be anything else than the 450. He also refers to the picture on top: a 450. Rupert calls in on my post, not the original article I guess ;)

Chad continues with the 2nd port on the back. Perhaps he means something else, hence my previous post. Just follow the (original!) quotes.

ok, let's not have a yay/nay situation :D

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:46 pm

Tom wrote:I own a CD-i 210 and I must truly say it is the most ugly and most massive system I own. It's pretty ugly too. Didn't play on any other type of CD-i.
Ofcourse you're right. Though, you have to remember the 210 is a narrowed down version of the 220, which is a Matchline product. That "Matchline" refers to a series of consumer products which can be used together, they are designed the same way so they will fit nicely. Think of the tuner, amplifier, DCC, anything. As a stand-alone, sizes are universal (standard!) to every other product, and the CD-i was seen as an extent of these consumer products rather than a youth based game console. It's hard to let go that idea, don't you think.....