When did you discover CD-i ?

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Bas
CDinteractive Admin

When did you discover CD-i ?

Post by Bas » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:29 pm

Blatantly non original but interesting what you guys make of it. When did you discover the gods of CD-i?

I've prepared my story but I have to pick up my christmas tree right now, I see you guys later.

Ruekov
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Ruekov » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:03 pm

Summer of 1994 :)

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:10 pm

How come you know details like that ;)
I think I also got mine in 1994, but I'm not sure. We got one from Philips and I knew 7th Guest and Litil Divil were just released. I was hooked, I even spent hours browsing through Compton's Encyclopedia :oops:

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:41 pm

I think I bought my first player in 2000 or 2001. IIRC it was a couple of months before the final CD-i sale in the Philips Employee Store, good old times :).

Philipscdi.com
CD-i Site Admin

Post by Philipscdi.com » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:32 am

I know it's somewhere in my diary, but I'm sure it was december, because I got it for my birthday. Must have been 1992. Anyway, long before the DVC was available and so long before The 7th Guest was too! All I had was Compton's, The Palm Springs Open, International Tennis Open, Connect Four and Battleship. And a big hole in the back of my CD-i player with no idea what it could ever be used for!! :)

rupert
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by rupert » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:33 pm

i cant remember either but mine was befor the DV cart came out too. All my games were in the bigger long old boxes.. zelda, link, palm spring open, tetris, pinball, keither and tennis (1 player). those were good times :)

Kao
Softech Recruit

Post by Kao » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:44 am

Ohhh.. my parents bought our 910 player when I was pretty young... Probably in 1992. I remember seeing it sitting under the TV and thinking it was some sort of new VCR.

My mother showed me the "Richard Scary's Busy Town" disc she got for me to play (it was either the Best Neighborhood Disc Ever, or the Busiest Neighborhood Disc Ever), and was the first game I had for the system. Paint School, Story Machine, and even Palm Springs Open were other early favorites. It was in late 1993 I think that my sister got Wand of Gamelon, which I loved. I was able to get Faces of Evil sometime later in 1994. I think it was some time after getting Faces of Evil that I picked up titles such as Hotel Mario and Defender of the Crown.

Anyway... CD-I lives as a cherished childhood memory for me. Lots of good times with that system :)
It's like 1993 all over again!

xanfan
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by xanfan » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:07 am

I remember seeing the informerical on US television, and was in total awe. I ended up watching the informercial about 30 times (it aired, literally, at the same time every day on the same station). Now I just wish I had taped it at least once!

I eventually got my first CD-i system when it was on final clearance at Macy's. It was the Magnavox 450 model, and we were able to get it for $99 new. Got it home, and couldn't get any more games for it. (The system was pretty much discontinued locally, and the internet was too new.) But I played the tennis and looked up "the meaning of life" for myself, and loved it all. Then when I got into the BBS/Internet scene, I was finally able to get new titles, and later upgraded to the Philips 220 model with DVC. Now I'm up to over 70 titles. :)