My CD-i

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:31 pm

Just noticed that I still have a photo of my old CD-i 550 on my harddisk. I thought I share it, as many here probably never saw a boxed 550. :lol:

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:38 pm

Nice! Do you know if you could still open the left side and remove the cartridge? Or was it locked somehow?

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:41 pm

Bas wrote:Nice! Do you know if you could still open the left side and remove the cartridge? Or was it locked somehow?
Yes, you could still open it. It's actually a 450 with no modifications. On the bottom side there was even the old label saying "CDI 450/00" with the 550 label just glued over it.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:44 pm

@ jaffar: very nice pictures, thanks! It's nice to see a goos close up of each side!

Windowskiller, that black part that is on top of the left side of the player (still following me? ;)), I remember I asked it before, but I forgot: was that some kind of seal or a lock?

I don't know what package the 470 came in, but the 450 and 550 were indeed the only 'colourful' ones. The 2xx series were just in a carton box with black letters, and the professional players were packages the same as the peripherals like the roller controller and the mouse and the gun, and the first gamepad. The second gamepad and the second gun were repackaged in colourful designs later on.... (as far as I know)

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:52 pm

Windowskiller, that black part that is on top of the left side of the player (still following me? ), I remember I asked it before, but I forgot: was that some kind of seal or a lock?
That's a badge saying "Digital Video". Afaik, it was included with every 22ER9956 DVC starting with /20. At least, even the 450's manual does mention it in the DVC upgrade section.

rdjnl
Softech Recruit

Post by rdjnl » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:31 pm

Thanks for the photos.

Indeed, WindowsKiller I never saw such a blue box for the cdi 550 ever before!

rdjnl
Softech Recruit

Post by rdjnl » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:34 pm

I have a cdi 450 and the DVC was already built in to it. But the DVC batch wasn't on the machine.

I've always been curious about it too.

rdjnl
Softech Recruit

Post by rdjnl » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:40 pm

[quote="Bas""]I don't know what package the 470 came in[/quote]

I don't know either, but I have a guess.

The tutorial disc included with the cdi 450 has red inserts, similar style of the cdi 450 box.

I've seen photos of a cdi 470 tutorial disc. Its inserts were green. So I guess the box would be in the same style of the cdi 450 box, but with green instead of red.

Did the cdi 550 include a tutorial disc (maybe with blue inserts) ?
Last edited by rdjnl on Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:41 pm

rdjnl wrote:I have a cdi 450 and the DVC was already built in to it. But the DVC batch wasn't on the machine.
Probably because the DVC was often added by the dealer, which didn't care about the badge, and the 450 was sold as a 550 then. This was done with my 450 as well. The DVC was already inserted and the box had an additional sticker on the side saying "CDI 550/00". Photo to follow. :)

//edit:

Did the cdi 550 include a tutorial disc (maybe with blue inserts?!)
No, it did not come with a tutorial disc. I don't think there ever was one for the 550, but since this was the only 550 I ever came across, it's also possible that it was just missing.
Last edited by WindowsKiller on Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rupert
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by rupert » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:14 pm

i can kinda see the problem with the tape, I find its quite difficult to find console boxes in mint condition. I collect for the Sega master system and have 7 boxed ones, only 2 could be described as excellent but none are mint. My cdi is a 210 so its just a brown box with a bit of crappy print on, to be fair i think your system looks in excellent condition and you did a good job at removing the tape. Getting a refund was far too harsh on the seller :(

thomas
Softech Recruit

Post by thomas » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:45 pm

you should have kept the tape on the box, and opened with a knife along the edges/slits/openings.
in many years to come, the tape degrages and comes off almost by itself

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:58 pm

the badge is on the picture of the box so I don't believe the DVC was added by the dealer. In the Netherlands, we had no 550, only a 450 action model. However, the boxes were factory inserted, so I don't believe the dealer added the DVC cartridge. This must have been handled at the factory. At first I thought the badge was exclusive to the Magnavox models, I'd never seen it on a Philips player before... Those Magnavox players were only released in the US, but after a while they were all over the place. If anyone can make a high-res picture of the badge, I'd like to see it!

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:08 pm

Bas wrote:the badge is on the picture of the box so I don't believe the DVC was added by the dealer.
Which box are you talking about now? If there is a CD-i 450 box showing a 450 with the badge, please share a photo, as I've never seen one.
you should have kept the tape on the box, and opened with a knife along the edges/slits/openings. in many years to come, the tape degrages and comes off almost by itself
Or just use a hair-dryer to heat the tape. It will make the glue liquid and you can remove it without causing damage.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:18 pm

No, I've never seen it on a 450. It's on your picture of the 550. All the 450 with DVC included had a sticker on it, indeed. Maybe it was specifically to players who had it built-in from the first place?

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:21 pm

Just to avoid confusion, the first photo shows a real 550 with a dedicated box. The second picture (with the 550 label) is from my CD-i 450 with the DVC inserted by the dealer (and sold as a "fake" 550).

I guess if Philips ever sold 450s with the DVC added by the factory, they should have the badge attached.