My CD-i

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Jaffar Sholva
Burn:Cycle Activated

My CD-i

Post by Jaffar Sholva » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:11 pm

If you're interested in or not, I'll post it :D

Finally my CD-i arrived, I was enormous pleased. But then I see such a thing:

I wrote and E-Mail and said that he'll get a negative rating. He called me immediately and suggested that I'll get back the money. I also wanted to get back the cost of postage, but he said: Then I would like to get back the CD-i… Oh so… Well, he'll give it to me as a "present". He'll back-transfers the money to me and I may keep the CD-i nevertheless. So I'll remove the tape:

Image Image

How can he do this :shock: As a collector this is a horror. But after something more than 35 minutes, I could remove the tape. But there are some blotches / spots (don't know the word). I've never saw as much tape as that ^^

Image Image

But for no money (as a present) it's more than okay :D There it is unpacked:

Now only the games are missing. But I'll buy some. And tomorrow I'll get my own TV for my own room. Also for free :D

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:36 pm

Lucky guy! Very nice! That player looks brand new! What was wrong in the first place, was it the tape that ruined the package or something? At least the player looks all new! Happy gaming man, let us know what games you end up with ;)

rdjnl
Softech Recruit

Re: My CD-i

Post by rdjnl » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:43 pm

Jaffar Sholva wrote: I wrote and E-Mail and said that he'll get a negative rating. He called me immediately and suggested that I'll get back the money. I also wanted to get back the cost of postage, but he said: Then I would like to get back the CD-i… Oh so… Well, he'll give it to me as a "present". He'll back-transfers the money to me and I may keep the CD-i nevertheless.
Hmmm... I think you should be happy with your new player for that kind of money and not complain about the tape on the box. But that's my opinion...

Have fun with it

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:05 pm

Well, those boxes (packages) are getting pretty rare! I'd like to buy a brand-new box if I ever see one, a boxed player is definately worth more!

Jaffar Sholva

Post by Jaffar Sholva » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:34 am

Yes, the tape ruined the package. And I collect everything in a good condition. that's important for me. And the CD-i was factory-sealed, so first touched from me :D

So @ rdjnl: When the seller says the CD-i is factory-sealed and there is tape on the package, it's no more in this condition (in condition factory-sealed). That was what made me unhappy, because I had to pay... hmmm, let me say 20 Dollars. I was only ready to buy such a price because of the condition. But if this is wrong... So that's the reason why the seller made the suggestion to give me the CD-i for free (he paid back the money). Now I'm really happy about it, even if the package is no more in a perfect dondition. Do you understand?

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:30 am

When I bought my first CD-i 550 long time ago, the situation was quite similar. I spent lots of money for it, as it was complete and in great condition. But when it finally arrived, I was shocked. The seller just sticked the address label on the box of the CD-i 550 (!!!) and sent it that way. Of course, the box was ruined... Fortunately, I was able to sell it later without making loss. Bought a complete/boxed 450 for that money, but I think the 550 would have been a better addition to my collection.

Later I learned that even Philips did it like that if you ordered a CD-i 450 (for example) directly from them. That's actually why you won't find a CD-i 450 or CD-i 550 with a mint-conditioned box these days. Really a shame...

rdjnl
Softech Recruit

Post by rdjnl » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:47 pm

I understand you, Jaffar Sholva, but I don't agree with you.

Still, thank you for posting your story and photos!

Jaffar Sholva

Post by Jaffar Sholva » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:03 am

Yes, and I could have had such a new package from a CD-i 450... It was a clearance :!: It would have been the best condition of a CD-i 450 package in the world :lol:

But I'm happy for this price (well actually for no price). So @rdjnl with which opinion you don't agree? I don't understand :?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:21 am

I think not all of us are interested in the package of the CD-i player ;) I threw away the package material of my player when I got it 13 years ago. Now I feel sorry I did that!

I'd like if you can make some high-res pictures of the package Jaffar, I've never seen those for a long time and I'd like to see them!

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:27 am

Jaffar Sholva wrote:So @rdjnl with which opinion you don't agree? I don't understand :?
I guess he means that you made such a bargain and still complain about some transparent (!!!) adhesive tape on the box. "Factory-sealed" says nothing about the condition of an item's box after all. I've hold back my personal opinion in my last post, but I think what you did (complaining, talking back the money *and* keep the CD-i) was not right.

@Bas: Weren't the 450 and 550 the only players that had a colourful box with some artwork anyway? I wouldn't care about the box of a 210 or so as well, as it's just a plain cardboard box with no artwork at all...

If Jaffar can't make high-res pictures, I can make some. The box of my 450 isn't in perfect condition, but still very good. The rest is complete and like new.

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:48 am

IIRC the professional players would come in white boxes with some artwork. I've regularly seen boxed CD-i 450 players at flea markets here.

The CDI210 box behind me is marked "CDI210 PRO", kind of makes me wonder if there was a difference in the consumer and professional models.

Jaffar Sholva

Post by Jaffar Sholva » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:01 pm

Ahh, now I think I know what rdjnl means. I thought you were all collectors with passion, like me ;) But 2 years ago or maybe one year ago I would also have thrown away the package.

EDIT: In ricardo factory-sealed is a declaration of the condition, and if the box isn't in that condition, it's a false declaration. I say that to him and then he made the suggestion to pay back the money and that I can keep the CD-i. I first mean that I have to give the CD-i back, but he said "No, you can keep it, it's okay. If you're a collector, I understand and I'm willing to give it". So should I say "no no, in no case, keep the money"? If I was saying that I'm not happy with the declaration of the condition, it wasn't my intent to get the CD-i for free.

Okay, here are the pics:

I hope you're happy with them ;)

Btw. don't you have a part in the forum where users present their collection?

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:21 pm

Nice pictures, looks almost as good (or bad ;)) as my 450.

By the way, don't forget to buy a digital video cartridge, otherwise you can not play a lot of CD-i games.
In ricardo factory-sealed is a declaration of the condition, and if the box isn't in that condition, it's a false declaration.
"factory-sealed" is only a synonym for "unused and unopened". This doesn't necessarily mean that the box isn't damaged, has stickers or tape on it, etc. Moreover, you saw a photo of it before buying, didn't you?

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:23 pm

I wouldn't know where to put all the stuff if all my cd-i players were still in their original boxes :).

Jaffar Sholva

Post by Jaffar Sholva » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:29 pm

Yes, I did see a pic. It was much better than my box. But let forget this, I understand if there are different opinios. But one thing I want to say: When you're selling something on ricardo, there is a thing to click on which name is "condition". If you click on this, a few declarations of conditions appears (like neuwertig, gebraucht... you understand what this means ;) ) and you must choose one. And one of them is factory-sealed, so in ricardo this is a declaration of condition, even if this isn't correct (for you). but how I said, let forget us about that. And you'll get a pm, because I have some questions (on the DVC) ;)