New CD-i Reviews!

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Bas
CDinteractive Admin

New CD-i Reviews!

Post by Bas » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:04 pm

After Defuncts latest try-outs, I'm finally materialising my old wish to write my own CD-i review index. Planning to be the biggest around, it'll be a matter of time before more titles are covered in the blog. Ofcourse i would love you to join in, as far as you follow the same grid as my reviews do. Please, comment, praise, criticize or suggest any title you want. Let's create the definitive Review archive!

Today I started with Lucky Luke: The Video Game. What's next?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:01 pm

It's great to see so much new content on the blog!

Although I have to give the... :roll:
I think this it the definitive platform game for CD-i
NOOOOooooo. The Apprentice is THE DEFINITIVE CD-i platform game :D

It has everything man, including naked chicks and a cute Space Invaders bonus game besides the platform action. How can you beat that?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:08 pm

It depends! I love the graphical animations they put in Lucky Luke much more than a few naked chicks in the Apprentice. The overall game experience of Lucky Luke feels more fun to me. There's more variety, more action, and better graphics. I also prefer the soundtrack of Lucky Luke over the Apprentice' music. Last but not least, it lacks the frustration I sometimes have with the Apprentice. That doesn't mean the Apprentice is any bad, but I love Lucky Luke a little better. Reader reviews are more than welcome, and a little discussion I love to have.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:14 pm

I found Lucky Luke too sluggish for my likes whilst The Apprentice was way smooth. Also the variation was astonishing and was probably lost on many players just how well implemented the level design was. Shame on those who haven't progressed past the first stage, you don't know what you're missing! Perhaps we should do a Lucky Luke Vs The Apprentice review type thing :wink:

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:16 pm

True, the latter stage levels of the Apprentice are way more fun than the beginning! And it's all top-notch stuff, don't get me wrong! I have another plus: I prefer horizontal side scrolling..... Yes, let's start with a pros/cons list for both SPC platform games :D

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:53 pm

ok, now I took out the word 'definitive'. It's impossible for me to give one of these games this term, both are VERY good, both with its pros and cons.
Like this:

Apprentice:
pros: huge game, smooth gameplay, difficult
cons: frustrated (irony;)), climbing all the time more than walking, in the early levels the weapons are shite!

Lucky Luke:
pros: excellent sound, nice multi-layered levels, great graphics using the DVC
cons: slower, shorter, the Lucky luke character is drawn too big.

If they made Lucky Luke a bigger game, there was no doubt this would be the definitive platform game. I think it's relative short length takes away this, don't you think?

DefunctGamer
Burn:Cycle Activated

Re: New CD-i Reviews!

Post by DefunctGamer » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:01 pm

Bas wrote:After Defuncts latest try-outs, I'm finally materialising my old wish to write my own CD-i review index. Planning to be the biggest around, it'll be a matter of time before more titles are covered in the blog. Ofcourse i would love you to join in, as far as you follow the same grid as my reviews do. Please, comment, praise, criticize or suggest any title you want. Let's create the definitive Review archive!

Today I started with Lucky Luke: The Video Game. What's next?
That's great to hear! Ever since stumbling on this forum (and reading your generally negative comments about Defunct Games) I have long wondered why you didn't bite the bullet and write your own reviews. It's easy to criticize others for writing reviews, but actually writing quality reviews that people want to read (and discuss on forums) is a more difficult task. My site certainly doesn't have the monopoly on CD-i reviews, so get out there and give CD-i fans (or those just passing through) something to read.
Cyril Lachel
Editor | Writer
http://www.defunctgames.com

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:53 pm

Thanks for those words, I know it's easy to criticize but is that the reason you shouldn't pay attention to it? I would say: Keep an eye on my ramblings (which, by the way, you can already read for over a year) and please, please, criticize anything that bothers you, because I feel people are happy with anything these days, especially CD-i-wise.

DefunctGamer
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by DefunctGamer » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:39 pm

Bas wrote:Thanks for those words, I know it's easy to criticize but is that the reason you shouldn't pay attention to it?
I definitely agree, and that's why I look around the net and see what people are saying about Defunct Games. Just keep in mind that it's not me who is writing these articles, so I'm not directly influenced by your complaints about the CD-i reviews. I read and post what is sent to me, and for the most part I give them the benefit of the doubt that they are giving accurate and well informed opinions. If people complain and give actual points (that rises to the level of Chad or Tom giving inaccurate information) then I go back and try to examine what was said and ask the writer. I do appreciate any comments and criticism, especially if it is well worded and has an actual point.

But at the same time you can't let the critics change you. My writing (or any person's writing, for that matter) is never going to please everybody. It's important to filter the quality advice from random complaints that don't add anything to the dialog. For example, I have been very critical on Nintendo's problems for quite a few years now, and in turn I find myself getting a lot of angry emails from Nintendo fanboys. I personally have nothing against Nintendo fans (I am one), but one can enjoy something and also be critical at the same time. There are a lot of people that email that I just don't listen to because they absolutely do not want to hear anything negative about their favorite system/company. They are entitled to their own opinion, but it's not coming from a very objective source. I don't think it does anybody any good to cave into those kinds of fanboys, sometimes it's important to point out the negative ... no matter how good a system is.

Having said that, I will make sure and read your reviews. I'm not entirely sure how much I can add, though, since I'm not the one who plays these games. My experience with the CD-i is pretty limited, I own one and have a few games, but it's not hooked up at the moment and I can't even think of the last time I actually used the unit. Perhaps Tom and Chad would be better to debate the merits of your reviews, but that's not going to stop me from reading it. It will be interesting to compare and contrast the two reviews and see the different points of view, but that's something that can be done across the board. When I go about reviewing a game I know that not everybody is going to enjoy it, but it's my job to explain why I liked it and why I think it deserves the score I give it.

There can never be too many different opinions, so I am all for you (and anybody else) taking to the keyboard and writing out their thoughts. In that sense you will always have my support, even if you don't like my site and feel that my articles (all of them, I presume) are a "look at me" affair. :)
Cyril Lachel
Editor | Writer
http://www.defunctgames.com