my collection

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
rupert
Burn:Cycle Activated

my collection

Post by rupert » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:30 pm

Decided to dust off my stuff and take a photo. I don't actually 'collect' cd-i stuff, not yet anyway. All in this picture I got back in the day from new. So its a no ebay collection :wink: I have no idea if anything is 'rare' or whatever.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:23 am

Very nice! I still have mine in boxes somewhere but I should also make some pictures! I see you even got Surf City back in the day, was this an import for you?

rupert

Post by rupert » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:38 am

no I bought it from a normal high street store if I remember correctly. Even so it could have been an import as England seem to get import stuff in the shops, i'm thinking of DS games here though. How can you tell from the box if its import or not?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:06 pm

On the back of the jewelcase you can read it:
The EU titles are "Printed in Germany"
The USA titles are "Printed in USA"

i see you stopped buying titles after 1995! You lost interest in 1996 or anything ;)

And what's on the right half on top of your cd-i player? Is that a Digital Video cartridge?

rupert

Post by rupert » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:14 pm

Bas wrote:On the back of the jewelcase you can read it:
The EU titles are "Printed in Germany"
The USA titles are "Printed in USA"

i see you stopped buying titles after 1995! You lost interest in 1996 or anything ;)
yeah it's my DV cart, all £150 of it :shock: (I remember convincing my dad that my cd-i was usless without it, so he bought it me :D )

cool, i'l check it out tonight.. I take it surf city didnt get a proper euro release then?

Did anything good come out after 95? I recall all the shops stopped selling CD-I at this time, I used to get a letter from philips nearly every week with a list of games on offer at very reduced prices.. i think they were all about £9.99. I cannot remember if I bought any from thease letters though.

I got a PS1 in 98. Then I dont think I got anything else untill I got a DS lite last year.

I'm going to get some more CDI games soon though, I'd like a copy of Mad Dog Mcree with the gun. I never had the gun :cry: managed to complete it using the pad though.. Can you recomend anything else i'm missing?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:18 pm

I think the last titles of the CD-i span are the best: Creature Shock, Atlantis: The Last Resort, Zenith, The Lost Ride, Solar Crusade.

Except for Zenith, all of them are 3D shooters. But good ones! Zenith is a very nice pinball/marble madness mix: recommended.

rupert

Post by rupert » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:28 pm

Thanks for the info, i'l have a look out for those, is there a rough price I should be paying?

My fave games back then were Pinball, burncycle, 7th guest, mad dog mcree and ceasers boxing. I really liked all the games though and they got far more use than my PS1 ever did.

thomas
Softech Recruit

Post by thomas » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:43 pm

very nice collection.
i remember when i lived in the UK, i actually seen CDi titles at Virgins. it must have been reasonably successful, as later, i had seen many players and softs at car boot sale, and seond hand shops

rupert

Post by rupert » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:41 pm

thomas wrote:very nice collection.
i remember when i lived in the UK, i actually seen CDi titles at Virgins. it must have been reasonably successful, as later, i had seen many players and softs at car boot sale, and seond hand shops
It wasnt massivley populer, i remember being the only kid at school who had one (but thats just what i knew of, maybe sombody at school had one). I knew of 2 other people who had one, my uncle (4 years older than me) and one of his friends. So we used to swap/ trade a few games between the 3 of us.

You can still get CD-i games in Gamestation shops that have 'retro' sections, infact Wigan gamestation has quite a few, I had most of what they were selling other than a few I didnt like the look of.. They are all priced at £5 and 'Buy one Get one Free' (so £2.50).

rupert

Post by rupert » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:30 pm

Hi All,

It's been over 5 years since I posted here and my CD-i collection has not expanded much since the above photo, which in itself had not expanded since about 1995 :roll:

I still have everything and plan to have my CD-i set up again once I get my 'man cave' sorted out. I moved house last year and I have a nice sized room just for my games collection (obviously not just my CD-i collection!).

I had come back for a look around here after seeing K1ngarth3r's CD-i collection photos over on Retro Collect, so I have quite a lot of reading to get through now :D

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:05 am

Nice to see you back Rupert. Good luck with your collecting in 2013... :)

Keep us informed of any new titles you find.

Alan

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:23 am

Nice to see you stop by Rupert :)

You've got a great selection of games there, you should post some pictures when your CDi is setup, hopefully you'll continue to pickup some more games for the system in the future too.

rupert

Post by rupert » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:06 pm

Bas wrote:Very nice! I still have mine in boxes somewhere but I should also make some pictures! I see you even got Surf City back in the day, was this an import for you?
Bas, I never got back to you on this subject.. Surf City was not an import for me and does say 'Made in Germany' both on the Disc and back cover.