Dimo's Quest rip-off !?

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Dimo's Quest rip-off !?

Post by Bas » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:00 pm

I'm totally confused here:

Dimo's Quest

When you click this link you'll enter the game page of "Dimo's Quest", apparently, for the Amiga. Look at the screenshots, look at the details.

How, When, and Why?

rdjnl
Softech Recruit

Post by rdjnl » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:56 pm

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:52 pm

There was some sort of link between that Amiga game and what the SPC guys did for the CD-i version. Although the precise relationship escapes me at the moment! At least I don't think anybody ripped off anothers game ie. illegally.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:54 pm

Obviously, and I'm interested if anyone can tell us a bit more! Perhaps they sold the game. It looks like the levels are exactly the same. Are there more of these cross-overs to other platforms that you or anyone else know of?

rdjnl
Softech Recruit

Post by rdjnl » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:17 pm

It looks like the levels are exactly the same
After seeing the screenshots of the Amiga game, I got the same impression. Hence my posting.

I wonder what the contribution of SPC was. Did they only design a new menu and subsitute the green creature (Dimo) with the "cd-i Dimo" ?

I'm curious whether the level codes are also the same. I'll have to find out.

Bas, it's nice you wrote a article about this game on Interactive Dreams.
I owned a Atari Lynx and Chip's Challenge was one of my favourite games. Obviously, I also liked Dimo. However, I remember that I prefered Chip's Challenge for some reason. But I don't know why anymore :lol:.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:12 pm

The bibliographics file for the CD-i says
Game graphics and design by Infernal Bytes Germany and Eclipse
The only major change from the Infernal bytes version is the Dimo character and the background storyline.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:15 pm

Oh and by the way the level codes for the CD-i version are in fact unique for every CD-i player because they are generated from a random seed in the NVRAM file.

It's always fun to see people laboriously writing down all 51 level codes and posting them, only to have others find out that they don't work.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:24 pm

cdifan wrote:The bibliographics file for the CD-i says
Game graphics and design by Infernal Bytes Germany and Eclipse
The only major change from the Infernal bytes version is the Dimo character and the background storyline.
That would mean Dimo's Quest on CD-i is not the original one, but a covered Dimo's Quest from the Amiga version?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:30 pm

cdifan wrote:The level codes for the CD-i version are in fact unique for every CD-i player because they are generated from a random seed in the NVRAM file.
That's just pure evil! :roll:

So even if you delete the NV-RAM save safe in the knowledge you have the level codes written down it means nothing?

rdjnl
Softech Recruit

Post by rdjnl » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:57 pm

cdifan wrote:Oh and by the way the level codes for the CD-i version are in fact unique for every CD-i player because they are generated from a random seed in the NVRAM file.

It's always fun to see people laboriously writing down all 51 level codes and posting them, only to have others find out that they don't work.
:lol:
I didn't know. Thanks for the info!

rdjnl
Softech Recruit

Post by rdjnl » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:03 pm

Devin wrote:
cdifan wrote:The level codes for the CD-i version are in fact unique for every CD-i player because they are generated from a random seed in the NVRAM file.
That's just pure evil! :roll:

So even if you delete the NV-RAM save safe in the knowledge you have the level codes written down it means nothing?
I remember this was the case with Alien gate!

I now wonder if the dimo's quest save data is still in the memory of my player...