Im really new to the CD-I HELP ME!

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.

Will you help me? PLZZZZ

sure....
25%
HELL NO BITCH LEAVE ME ALONE!
75%

Total votes: 4

Vincent XIII
Softech Recruit
Location: InASmallCornerAlone... NOT im not an emo or anything! or am i?idonthaveaprobwithemostheyaresexyLOL

Im really new to the CD-I HELP ME!

Post by Vincent XIII » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:38 am

ok basicly im gunna buy a CD-I do all CD-I's play games? or like is it done by years? or what these are the games i want to get

Link: The Faces Of Evil

Zelda: The Wand Of Gamelon

Zelda's Adventure... i need help finding that one lol where the hell do u find it?

Hotel Mario

Alice In Wonderland

Pac Panic

Dragon's Lair

Dragon's Lair II Time Warp

Kingdom The Far Reaches

Kingdom II - Shadoan

Lemmings

Merlin's Apprentice

Myst

The Apprentice

ive heard thos are the best games on the system ^^ my first question is 1) why are there so many CD-I's??? and do they all play the same games?

2) what games do i need a DVC for and what systems work with the DVC

3) where do i buy Zelda's Adventure??? i looked everywhere for it!!!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:05 am

Hi there Vincent ;)

1) why are there so many CD-I's????
It has been the policy of Philips I guess, but most of all, more brands were involved with CD-i than just Philips. That's why you can also get a Sony CD-i player, a Grundig CD-i player, a Goldstar CD-i Player, and so on. But Philips was responsible for 90% of all CD-i hardware, I guess. More types appealing to more people, like portable systems, developers system, high-end consumer systems..... For you who just want to play some games, I recommend the 470 or 490 player (basically the same). If you don't know what I'm talking about, be sure to check out the CD-i Player index of the ICDIA website.

do they all play the same games?

yes, they all do. Just be sure some games need the Digital Video Cartridge. CD-i is a 16 bit machine, and the Digital Video Cartridge was something of an upgrade with a 32 bit RISC processor so the CD-i could play full motion video in MPEG1 format. Some games use digital video to show off some fast-pace gameplay. And it is just to play movies, to play the Video CD format, and so on. The front boxart of the CD-i disc normally sais it's a base case title (stating Compact Disc interactive) or a title requiring the Digital Video Cartridge (stating Digital Video on CD-i).

2) what games do i need a DVC for and what systems work with the DVC
To get an idea which games need the Digital Video Cartridge, here's an idea:

- Atlantis - The last resort
- Brain Dead 13
- Caesars® World of Boxing
- Chaos Control
- Christmas Country
- Clue
- Clue - The mysteries continue
- Creature Shock
- Crime Patrol
- Crime Patrol II - Drug wars
- De Zaak Van Sam
- Do you remember the '60s?
- Dragon's Lair
- Dragon's Lair 2
- Kingdom - Shadoan
- Kingdom - The far reaches
- L'ange et le Démon
- Labyrinth of Crete
- Les Guignols de l'info
- Litil Divil
- Lost Eden
- Lucky Luke - The video game (Optionnal)
- Mad Dog II: The lost gold
- Mad Dog McCree
- Monty Python's Invasion from the Planet Sykron
- Monty Python's More Naughty Bits
- Mutant Rampage - Body Slam
- NFL Hall of Fame Football
- The 7th Guest
- Solar Crusade
- Space Ace
- Tetsuo Gaiden
- The Lost Ride
- The Ultimate American Football Collection - Tripple Pack
- Thunder in Paradise
- Ultra CD-i Soccer
- Uncover featuring Tatjana
- Un Indien dans la Ville
- Who shot Johnny Rock?
- World Cup Golf

I recommend you to use the Game Pages for some reference in the future, or just ask. In the link, the second column states whether a game needs the DVC.

To answer which types of players can be upgraded with the DVC, the best way is to pay a visit to the Players index. In short, all consumer players can be upgraded with the DVC (and that's about 90% of all players offered at second hand places. The more rare and older players, including the portables, are the ones to watch out for. Check the link and look for the type of player you're intending to buy, because the list is too long to post here... If you can't figure it out, let me know!

3) where do i buy Zelda's Adventure??? i looked everywhere for it!!!
Yes, that's about the most expensive game on CD-i. Be aware most of of the sellers ask over a hundred dollars for it. In my opinion, it's not worth that much! However, browse the internet for some ISO files to get a good preview, and for an original copy, currently no one is on offer, but check regularly sites like ebay and you'll find one.

[spam]Ofcourse, you should also pay regular visits to my website to stay up-to-date about the world of CD-i[/spam]
Let us know how you get on! :!:
Last edited by Bas on Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent XIII
Softech Recruit
Location: InASmallCornerAlone... NOT im not an emo or anything! or am i?idonthaveaprobwithemostheyaresexyLOL

Post by Vincent XIII » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:54 pm

dude! thanks! O.O ur a genious :D

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:59 pm

Ooooops.... Sorry Bas, I didn't know I could edit your posts and clicked the wrong button :). I'll see if I can dig your reply out of the cache.

*edit*: post restored

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:10 pm

haha, that happened to me before, don't worry :lol:
I put back the links. Good to see you by the way. Holiday?

tgn_rogue
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by tgn_rogue » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:06 am

Don't Lords of the Rising Sun and Voyeur also use the DVC in order to run propperly due to the actual video clips in the games themselves?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:19 am

No no :!: base-case means base-case and you can play them as fast and with all the video without the DVC installed. So you don't need a DVC to play Voyeur and lords of the Rising Sun. Also Burn:Cycle is a great example of a game that makes heavily use of full motion video but it doesn't require the DVC. It's ofcourse a matter of layers, resolution, compression..... (at least something like that ;))

tgn_rogue
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by tgn_rogue » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:49 pm

Ahhh was just checking as I was being lazy and just couldnt be arsed to go upstairs and look at the case's ;).