CD-i mention at the CD+G Museum

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
oaacdi
Softech Recruit

CD-i mention at the CD+G Museum

Post by oaacdi » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:22 am

Visit http://www.cdplusg.com/Main.html for a quick reference to CD-i and to a collection of discs that the Philips was able to play: those hidden pictures on CD+G discs.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:41 pm

Cool :D
And I always thought the line-up for CD+G was very small. At least here in the Netherlands it never got my attention. I suppose this was hot in other countries? Have you ever seen a CD+G disc in the shops?

oaacdi
Softech Recruit

Post by oaacdi » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:26 am

Bas wrote:Cool :D
And I always thought the line-up for CD+G was very small. At least here in the Netherlands it never got my attention. I suppose this was hot in other countries? Have you ever seen a CD+G disc in the shops?

In that time frame, those having a yellow sticker on the long boxes. Still now you can find Fleetwood Mac with a black sticker describing the cd+G extra info.

Now it's a matter of looking at the logo or some key words in the inner hub of the cd, when they are opened and used.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:05 am

the website claims CD+G titles were made from 1989 up to 1992. That's... short! So after 1992 the format already died?

oaacdi
Softech Recruit

Post by oaacdi » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:11 pm

The format still alive at the present as the CD+G karaoke discs. So the graphics are basically just lyrics to a song and maybe a picture during the instrumental section. Nothing like the initial CD+G pop titles were every release had their own art direction.

The CD+G format would accept up to 16 channels. New York from Lou Reed make the most of this feature by having the lyrics of the song displayed in English and simultaneously translated either in Italian, Ger man, Spanish, French, each one running on a different channel.. Imagine my surprise when I saw those extra menus been displayed on my CD-i!
Bas wrote:the website claims CD+G titles were made from 1989 up to 1992. That's... short! So after 1992 the format already died?