Building a CD-i friendly PC!

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Building a CD-i friendly PC!

Post by Devin » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:17 pm

Growing a little tired of the PC-Tech littering the place I've decided to build a single PC that can handle my CD-i needs under Windows 98 and also Windows XP!

It's not just for CD-i mind you. I find alot of useful programs that worked on Windows 98 that simply can't function on the newer operating systems. At the moment my old Windows 98 system looks like an explosion in a shoe lace factory... not very pretty! Using an Athlon 800MHz CPU at the moment so upgrading through the 1GHz barrier should really make Win98 fly. Not forgetting Windows XP however which also has to be functional with this setup!

Including the Motherboard, CPU, RAM I'll be looking to spend no more than £75. Considering I'll be skimping on a few extras by stealing components from my other systems can it be done for that price? Any advice welcome, I'll post my progress here!

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Re: Building a CD-i friendly PC!

Post by cdoty » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:56 pm

Devin wrote:Including the Motherboard, CPU, RAM I'll be looking to spend no more than £75. Considering I'll be skimping on a few extras by stealing components from my other systems can it be done for that price? Any advice welcome, I'll post my progress here!
Well, in the US £75 (roughly $150) would get you quite a bit. But, since £1 in the UK is roughly equivalent to $1 in the US, you'll probably be looking at closeout models or opened merchandise.

Make sure to avoid 64 bit processors and multple core processors. I've had software not run on either of those.
Visit RasterSoft on facebook or visit the website.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:18 pm

Funny you should mention that, I was thinking about importing a few light weight goods like RAM and CPU for reasonable P+P.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:58 pm

I've decided on a motherboard, seems the ASRock 775i65G offers pretty decent support for Windows 98.

Should breeze through under Windows XP and also supports old and new Intel CPUs.

proxy10

Post by proxy10 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:59 am

lol,cheers,dude