Frog Feast - The story of the first two years

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Frog Feast - The story of the first two years

Post by cdoty » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:22 am

The 'brief' story of the first two years of Frog Feast has been released:
http://frogfeast.rastersoft.net/2Year.html

It includes quotes from three people well known in the CD-i community.

Of course, if you wish to have your comments removed, please send me a PM.
Visit RasterSoft on facebook or visit the website.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:13 pm

Nice story! I'll watch closely to any new developments of your next game!

Maybe..... Rise of the Frogs? What kind of game are you going for next?

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:42 pm

Bas wrote:Nice story! I'll watch closely to any new developments of your next game!

Maybe..... Rise of the Frogs? What kind of game are you going for next?
It's been difficult to settle on an idea for the next game.

I've considered reworking a PC game that I developed a few years ago. It was developed for a 48 hour contest, and was designed to look like an Activision style game from the Atari 2600 time period. It will need a lot of work to make it into a full game, though.

Here's a screenshot of the PC version (the original resolution was 640x480):

I've done a little work on redoing the graphics:

The game is a non scrolling shoot-em-up.

I did a vertically scrolling 'sequel' for a second competition:

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:55 pm

Rastervision! Clever :D

Nice shots Charles, but it's not a final decision yet i assume? I call CD-i to be the first version ;)

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:38 pm

Bas wrote:Rastervision! Clever :D
Yep, unfortunately that would have to go with a full release. :roll:
Bas wrote:Nice shots Charles, but it's not a final decision yet i assume? I call CD-i to be the first version ;)
I need to find a game concept that will expand it into a full game. Being developed as an Atari 2600 style game meant it had simpler game play.

When it was released, I wrote a summary to go along with it:

For as long as anyone can remember picnics have been ruined by ants, bees and, many other uninvited pests. They steal the food and make a mess of everything. The humans seem incapable of doing anything to stop them. Is their any hope of ever having a picnic without the pests?

The watermelons, being the biggest victims, have finally gotten fed up with the situation. These pests must be stopped. And, since you can't count on human to do a 'melons job, it's up to you to rid this picnic of all pests.

Armed with seeds, you are on a mission. If you have your way you will rid the entire universe of these pests. But, you have to start with the picnic right in front of you. It is also very important that you prevent the pests from taking any food items from the picnic basket. This is the key to their overwelming strength, cut off the food and you can begin to defeat them.

It will be a long hard battle, but the idea of never having a picnic ruined again is very appealing. Although many watermelons have met their end at the hands of these pests, you feel that you are destined to become the PICNIC DEFENDER!

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 pm

cdoty wrote:I need to find a game concept that will expand into a full game. Being developed as an Atari 2600 style game meant it had simpler game play.
Need a simple concept and not get bogged down explaining how the gameplay works.

I guess a single background game would be easiest to implement with fairly detailed animations to really add to the personality of the game. Examples that have been suggested includes Super off Road (courtesy of Alan) and IK+. Both single screen games and very moreish gameplay! So get your thinking caps on, I want to see an original game with old tried and tested concepts put into practice on CD-i :D

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:45 pm

Hi to everyone!

We're all still buzzing aren't we after Frog Feast :lol:

As for a future game, to go with my suggestion as discussed with Devin, how about a game based on ''Worms'' concept? That is a classic game.

Or, for a more ambitious project, how about the original 'top down' version of Grand Theft Auto (Cd-i has always embraced top down games hasn't it?)

What do you reckon Devin & Charles?

All the best,
Alan

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:07 am

Alan_Eng wrote:As for a future game, to go with my suggestion as discussed with Devin, how about a game based on ''Worms'' concept? That is a classic game.

Or, for a more ambitious project, how about the original 'top down' version of Grand Theft Auto (Cd-i has always embraced top down games hasn't it?)
I like Worms, but I don't think you could out-worm Worms. The concept and execution are near perfect.

I have looked into the possibility of doing a Super Offroad type game, and found some decent material to base the game on:
Image or Image

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:11 pm

Charles,

This would be truly amazing on cd-i, which is crying out for a decent racing game to go with Micro Machines. Yesterday, I went to youtube and saw a demo of ''Dead End'' - I am SO GUTTED that this game never made it onto cd-i as it looks stunning. If you were to produce a racing game, it would make up for our disappointment 100 percent.

Also, check out youtube for some crazy Zelda and Link remixes! :lol:

Alan

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:17 pm

Yeah, Dead End would have been cool! Thankfully we got a version of The Lost Ride which is basically the same idea. Have you played that, Alan?

This Super Off Road game was a true classic on the NES, it played like heaven. It sounds like very complex and to be honest I doubt if CD-i would be able to run this game.

Racing games are very scarce on CD-i so to even out this would be a nice opportunity to create a racing game!

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:43 pm

I'd imagine 'Super off Road' would work very well on CD-i. I mean it has a single screen which in the case of CD-i would have an excellent resolution, so plenty of incidental detail can be added. Can't imagine the trucks have that many animation cells either, as long as they look realistic like SOF then I'd be more than happy. Now for a title... how about, 'Monster Truck Madness'?

Add a four-player adapter and we're in business. Maybe on-line play through CD-i Emulator, or is that wishful thinking? :roll:

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:04 pm

Devin,

I couldn't agree with you more. That sounds fantastic! Charles have we got you seriously thinking about this as a possible future release?

BTW Bas yes I have ''Lost Ride'' and was one step away from completing it but the game bugs each time and I can't get past it :cry:

Has anyone completed ''Lost Ride'' without the game bugging right at the end?

Thanks

Alan

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:07 pm

Alan_Eng wrote:Charles have we got you seriously thinking about this as a possible future release?
Yeah, I think so. I like the vehicles, I just need to find a good tileset or 3D model for the backgrounds.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:23 pm

Yeah lets do this! :D

I nominate myself for the position of script writer and nonsense game background story! Enjoy my Sci-Fi and those car renders certainly look 'other worldly'. Hey, we could have all sorts of characters and plot evolution to drive the single-player game. I'm quite a fan of Starfox 2 (Prototype SNES game) that had a good deal of cross talk between rivals that really gave depth to the game and setup a sense of purpose in the free form environment. Kinda like Road Rash, it gave you opponents to look out for on the road and literally beat (to death!).

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:55 pm

Yep, count me in as well - I'd like to help in any way possible. I'm no games programmer, but if there's anything I can do I'll gladly do it!