Homebrew Interest?

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Homebrew Interest?

Post by cdoty » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:06 pm

Would you consider purchasing smaller homebrew CD-I games starting at $10 to $13?

At this price, only the CD with professionally printed label would be included. More expensive packages would be available.
Assuming you would purchase the games, would you be more likely to buy just the CD or a full package?

Again, assuming you would purchase the games, how often would you be willing to purchase a new game, assuming the games were worth
purchasing. (There would be a minimum of 3-6 months between games, probably).

The games wouldn't be as big as a normal CD-I game, but would cost a fraction of the normal price.
How many people play a standard released game for more than an hour?

Does the time spent playing justify the cost?

Do you buy a game as a collectable item or to play it?

I'm pondering the future direction of RasterSoft and how to bring some quality games to the CD-I. Developing homebrew games
on a non-commercially viable system does has some limitations; we do not have the time or resources to produce a full scale
commercial style release. To compensate for this we want to keep the price as low as possible, narrow the focus to produce the highest quality game and, spread the cost over several game systems. I am trying to determine if the Mastertronic model, of producing smaller games at a 'smaller' price, would fit in the homebrew market.

Thanks for your time in answering these questions.
Visit RasterSoft on facebook or visit the website.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:42 pm

From your description I'd assume something in the form of a simple PopCap game. If this were the case I wouldn't even bother going through the trouble of burning a CD. For $10 an ISO purchase would interest me as far as CD-i games go. Of course I'd always like to see a bigger better game in full-scale retail packaging! :D

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:47 pm

I would definitely buy new games between the prices you stated, as long as they are on CD!

Have you thought any more about our ''Super off Road'' clone?

All the best

Alan

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:45 pm

Alan_Eng wrote:I would definitely buy new games between the prices you stated, as long as they are on CD!

Have you thought any more about our ''Super off Road'' clone?
No, I was trying to put together a quick game for NWCGE for OlderGames. It's just not going to happen, there wasn't enough time.

Here's a mockup title and screenshot:

This would be a Worm Whomper (by Activision) type game.

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:37 pm

Devin wrote:From your description I'd assume something in the form of a simple PopCap game. If this were the case I wouldn't even bother going through the trouble of burning a CD. For $10 an ISO purchase would interest me as far as CD-i games go. Of course I'd always like to see a bigger better game in full-scale retail packaging! :D
Not really a PopCap game, but something with fewer levels or simpler game play.

For example, a 1942 style game may have 10-12 levels, but the 'RasterSoft' version may only have 2-3 or so. Or, as just posted, a game in the style of an older game.

Here's one additional question to add to the list:

Would you purchase a $6 CD image, that you could burn for yourself, over a $10 (+ shipping) CD?

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:25 am

Charles

I'm 'old skool' really - love Frog Feast so much because it's a new release with packaging and a picture on the CD. It's now a part of my collection. I've not embraced 'burning' stuff and MP3 etc yet! Maybe in the future.

I'm starting to sound OLD aren't I?

I just think we all hit the nail on the head when we were discussing a potential new game which would fit into the cd-i world ... Super off Road.

CD-i titles still seem to sell really well on e-bay, so if you were to put new releases on there, it may turn out to be ''a nice little earner'' as Del Boy would say.

Alan

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:47 pm

Alan_Eng wrote:I'm 'old skool' really - love Frog Feast so much because it's a new release with packaging and a picture on the CD. It's now a part of my collection. I've not embraced 'burning' stuff and MP3 etc yet! Maybe in the future.

I'm starting to sound OLD aren't I?
Hehe, old is a state of mind.

I'm just trying to find a balance between the cost of the game and tangible value.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:27 pm

I'll buy anything you release on CD-i, as long as it's a fun game. I'd prefer a retail jewel case, just like the rest of the CD-i library. But a download may be a cheaper distribution channel, which may increase the sales? So, has Frog feast been sold out? It's a good measuring point of whether you're happy with CD-i sales or not ;)

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:45 am

Bas wrote:So, has Frog feast been sold out? It's a good measuring point of whether you're happy with CD-i sales or not ;)
I'm not sure, I haven't heard anything other than a total of 10 copies sold a few months ago.