Good Price for CD-i?

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Blades
Burn:Cycle Activated

Good Price for CD-i?

Post by Blades » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:31 am

Hey,

I'm trying to get into CD-i Gaming (if one can call it that :P ), and I was wondering, what's a good price for a Philips series 200 player?

If not eBay, where should I look for systems?

Thanks,
Blades

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:49 am

Hi, welcome :)

You can try to post a request in the Marketplace section of this forum, but this post will also do ;) - Prices are so subjective to your personal wishes... If you look closely you can buy a 210 for about 10-50 euro, depending on its quality (being used, scratches, hardware errors). See, when I can buy a brand new CD-i 210 player, I'd be willing to pay around 25 euro. That's it. Some other people may find this too much or too stingy.

If I were you, I wouldn't go for the 2xx series however (they're too big!) but I prefer the 4xx models. Good luck hunting! Also you may want to consider the CD-i Emulator to play the games on your PC?

ps. how's the weather on the moon? :idea:

Blades

Post by Blades » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:54 am

Quite good actually :D

Sorry, heh, I didnt notice that the site HAD a marketplace section.

I see your point about the smallness, but what's the point of having a CD-i and people not noticing it :P ? Then you can't show off crap Zelda! I really am looking for a pretty big player, cuz I'd like it to fit flush with my system, and all of my stuff is pretty wide. Plus, they're the cheapest :) .

I'm too lazy to get a euro>dollars calculator, but the price I was thinking about was $20, is that too low?

If you REALLY want to, I guess I could convert it to Euro, I guess...

Btw, thanks for the welcome!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:50 pm

I think on ebay, 20 dollar is a bit low. BUT, ebay is always overpriced. If you search on some local marketplace sites (like we have Marktplaats.nl in the Netherlands) I come across some players for even less. Also second hand markets in your neighbourhood are a nice place to hunt on CD-i stuff, but maybe in the US it's different.

In short: 20 dollar is ok, but not on ebay! But who knows you're lucky, so just search around and buy one if you feel it's a good price!

Nitrosoxide

Post by Nitrosoxide » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:53 pm

[quote="Blades"]Quite good actually :D [quote]

It ain't gonna be quite good when you find out the cost of shipping it there...

Blades

Post by Blades » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:21 am

I think on ebay, 20 dollar is a bit low. BUT, ebay is always overpriced. If you search on some local marketplace sites (like we have Marktplaats.nl in the Netherlands) I come across some players for even less. Also second hand markets in your neighbourhood are a nice place to hunt on CD-i stuff, but maybe in the US it's different.

In short: 20 dollar is ok, but not on ebay! But who knows you're lucky, so just search around and buy one if you feel it's a good price!
Aight, I'll look around locally, then move on to eBay if there are no hits. Honestly, I'm not willing to pay $30+ for CD-i. It's a great console, but $30 is a bit too much...or I'm just cheap :) .

Also, how is the Audio CD playback on it? I've been looking around for a good set-top CD Player ever since my LD player broke (Which gave AMAZING sound), the closest I've come to it's level of clarity is on 3DO. How does CD-i fare?
It ain't gonna be quite good when you find out the cost of shipping it there...
My cousin works at NASA, so they just drop off my video games as they're going to their space station!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:51 am

Also, how is the Audio CD playback on it?
Although the clarity is also depending on your amplifier and speakers, the CD-i is a first class product and I don't notice any difference from a regular A-brand CD player. It's very good sound! but maybe you're a professional listener and notice more details!

Blades

Post by Blades » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:03 am

Although the clarity is also depending on your amplifier and speakers, the CD-i is a first class product and I don't notice any difference from a regular A-brand CD player. It's very good sound! but maybe you're a professional listener and notice more details!
My amplifier and speakers are top-notch so it all depends on the CD-i. I'm too cheap to get a professional 24-bit CD Player, but I've heard some game consoles have great sound (ex: 1st rev. Playstation had AMAZING sound...but then Sony screwed it up).

The best I ever heard was my Pioneer CLD-S201 LD Player (Which is currently in the shop for a burnt out motor). It had a *great* balance of highs and lows and didn't muddle in the least (only a bit because of RCA cables, but I prefer that kind of distortion, makes it sound like a vinyl). Does CD-i give that hard digital mechanical sound? For example my 3DO sounds a bit too digital, very mechanical and cold sound, but very clear. I prefer that slightly muddled vinyl sound.

I talk too much,
Blades

Borman
Softech Recruit

Post by Borman » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:06 pm

Blades wrote:ex: 1st rev. Playstation had AMAZING sound...but then Sony screwed it up
Only after modification, thats what they dont tell you ;)

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:44 am

$20-$25 is average for a 220 in the US, but look to pay $15-$20 for shipping:

Here's one at $10 with $15 shipping (Although it has almost 6 days left):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Philips-CDI-220-Pla ... dZViewItem

Or, here's one at $10 with $30 shpping, with 2 days left. It also has some games and a joystick:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Philips-CDI-Game-Sy ... dZViewItem
Visit RasterSoft on facebook or visit the website.

Blades

Post by Blades » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:26 am

Borman wrote:
Blades wrote:ex: 1st rev. Playstation had AMAZING sound...but then Sony screwed it up
Only after modification, thats what they dont tell you ;)
Whoa, I didn't know that. Is there a link that justifies this? Heh, I'm not really surprised, Sony has taken up a habit of screwing me off as many times as possible. Do you know how a SCPH-75xx stacks up? That's the model I have.
cdoty wrote:$20-$25 is average for a 220 in the US, but look to pay $15-$20 for shipping:

Here's one at $10 with $15 shipping (Although it has almost 6 days left):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Philips-CDI-220-Pla ... dZViewItem

Or, here's one at $10 with $30 shpping, with 2 days left. It also has some games and a joystick:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Philips-CDI-Game-Sy ... dZViewItem
Thanks for the links, dude!

I'll probably bid on the games/joystick one because those damn joysticks are more rare than actual CD-i players.

Thanks guys,
Blades

tinkercdi

good price for cdi

Post by tinkercdi » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:09 pm

hi i got my cdi for £40 at a gamestation. it was the original edition with a pre installed digital video cartridge. i also bought about 20 games in a bundle for like £20 with games like burn:cycle and cluedo. i was very lucky because ever since then i havent seen any other consoles there or even games my idea is to go on ebay for a console
"like tennis!"

Blades

Post by Blades » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:57 am

Sweet find, dude!

What model of CD-i is it?