Small Mention of the "CD-i 2"

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Borman
Softech Recruit

Small Mention of the "CD-i 2"

Post by Borman » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:59 pm

Havent seen this posted in the short time Ive been here (well, a year heh). Its a small mention in an interview with Jez San from Argonaut Software, famous for their work on the SuperFX on the SNES, among other things.

After we built the Super FX chip for Nintendo, we went on to design a chip for Philips for a videogame machine that never came out (codenamed GreenPiece aka CD-I 2).
http://www.armchairempire.com/Interview ... erview.htm

And really, thats it. But interesting none the less

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Re: Small Mention of the "CD-i 2"

Post by Erronous » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:34 pm

"greenpiece"? Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that name. On the other hand it almost sounds Dutch.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:50 pm

Nice catch :shock:

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:26 pm

Jez said the same thing to me years ago when I was interviewing him about Starfox 2.

Although he recalled the chips codename as 'Project Greensleeves'! Then again he admitted the memory was hazy in this respect so I guess we can let him off. This information was previously released in the RetroGamer issue that covered CD-i. Unfortunately if I remember right, the guy that designed the hardware for these SuperChips died of a brain tumor. I did have other contacts but the knowledge seemed somewhat sparse on the CD-i 2 GPU.

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Re: Small Mention of the "CD-i 2"

Post by cdoty » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:16 am

Borman wrote:And really, thats it. But interesting none the less
Definitely an interesting read.

You can't beat being given money to design something that truely never gets tested. Unless, part of the contract is based on royalties.
Visit RasterSoft on facebook or visit the website.