european exclusives?

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Thu May 29, 2008 6:46 am

WOW! Very impressive! I'm not sure about the release year, but there are more games that are like that. For instance, Labyrinth of Crete is dated 1995 but it was released in 1997 :)

So have you played it?

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Fri May 30, 2008 4:33 am

yes I played it, it's very nice. if you choose the plaform mode I think up to 4 different people can play but not at the same time. you have to choose minigames and the first player to finish 10 wins. I haven't completed it yet though some mini games need an understanding of French

is anyone interested in some screenshots? or at all for that matter :roll: (besides bas)

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Fri May 30, 2008 6:11 am

what exactly does it take to excite CD-i collectors? it seems nothing! I mean this is the most rare game ever released and people don't even care. Master System collectors literally wet their pants over the SMS smurfs game which is not even as rare! if the rarest cd-i game does nothing for CD-i collectors than the CD-i scene is beyond help. you wonder why sites don't get updated and forums close down, whats to wonder about - there is no interest, you guys don't care! I beleive that the CD-i scene is on it's lasting dying breath with these forums and interactive dreams, both of which are kept alive only because of the efforts of one person! these sites are the only ones on the net which get new info/posts on CD-i. most of the posts on the forum apart from Bas is newbies with only a passing interest in CD-i, who register, ask a couple questions, see that there is nothing worth staying for and then never post again. Thats why there is nearly 500 registered users, but how many of them post on a regular basis (or even at all!) - hmmm maybe 5 if we're lucky!! sorry for the long rant but I think its about time that people wake up to the reality of the situation. then again maybe its not my place to say, maybe I should just shutup and mind my own business. I should collect in silence like everyone else does and just watch the CD-i scene slowly dissapear.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri May 30, 2008 7:11 am

Hold the phone! CD-i is not going to disappear! It has always been a very small scene but it goes with its ups and downs. A few years back there were interesting yeras with the release of CDi Emulator, the oldergames cd-i releases, the Frog Feast release, and extensive interviews with old developers. But it's true there were never a lot of people interested in the format. There's one living breath which will never stop and it's the old work horse 'The Black Moon Project'. Although Devin is very busy with other business, I'm confident his CD-i articles are not at its end yet. There are a few new articles in the works which will stir up some CD-i news. But again, the scenery is small. There are only a few people really interested in it. According to our site stats there are still a lot of visitors looking for info about CD-i.

It's a pity also 'Le Monde du CD-i' is fading away and with Omegalfa taking a step back, i don't see it coming back with any activity. I think you should have lived with the system's years in order to have the energy to create a website for it, all new people are only interested to have a peek at the Nintendo games on CD-i and then go away. CD-i was never popular but the people who are here show that it is a very interesting format.

Anyway, I'm sure it won't disappear (although it's getting smaller and smaller) - At least not as long as 'The Black Moon Project' is here!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri May 30, 2008 7:14 am

Shroo-man wrote:yes I played it, it's very nice. if you choose the plaform mode I think up to 4 different people can play but not at the same time. you have to choose minigames and the first player to finish 10 wins. I haven't completed it yet though some mini games need an understanding of French

is anyone interested in some screenshots? or at all for that matter :roll: (besides bas)
Well, actually I'm not able to create screenshots myself so I'd love to see them again (and I lend my CD-i player to a friend) - and they're very nice to get something up at Interactive Dreams.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri May 30, 2008 7:16 am

Hey, but does the booklet contain any more pages?

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:59 am

I see it now, in 10 years nobody knows anything about CD-i except for Nintendo collectors who only know about CD-i from whats on the back on their copy of Zelda's Adventure. But lets hope not... I think for CD-i to survive it really needs more collectors
Bas wrote: Anyway, I'm sure it won't disappear (although it's getting smaller and smaller) - At least not as long as 'The Black Moon Project' is here!
even Nintendo will dissapear completely at some point. But I don't agree with you, IMO if it wasn't for you I'd say CD-i would be completely dead already. if blackmoon was the only updated CD-i website do you really think it gets updated enough to sustain an interested fanbase? also half of the links on the site don't work

Anyway what screenshots would you like, I can only take them if it works on the emulator. I'll make a ROM image now and find out - EDIT: it didn't get past the infogrammes logo on the emulator. Yeah the booklet has few pages but there is no english part of it. the last photo is a sheet of stickers I think they are alternate covers

rdjnl
Softech Recruit

Post by rdjnl » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:41 pm

Shroo-man wrote:what exactly does it take to excite CD-i collectors? it seems nothing! I mean this is the most rare game ever released and people don't even care. Master System collectors literally wet their pants over the SMS smurfs game which is not even as rare! if the rarest cd-i game does nothing for CD-i collectors than the CD-i scene is beyond help. you wonder why sites don't get updated and forums close down, whats to wonder about - there is no interest, you guys don't care! I beleive that the CD-i scene is on it's lasting dying breath with these forums and interactive dreams, both of which are kept alive only because of the efforts of one person! these sites are the only ones on the net which get new info/posts on CD-i. most of the posts on the forum apart from Bas is newbies with only a passing interest in CD-i, who register, ask a couple questions, see that there is nothing worth staying for and then never post again. Thats why there is nearly 500 registered users, but how many of them post on a regular basis (or even at all!) - hmmm maybe 5 if we're lucky!! sorry for the long rant but I think its about time that people wake up to the reality of the situation. then again maybe its not my place to say, maybe I should just shutup and mind my own business. I should collect in silence like everyone else does and just watch the CD-i scene slowly dissapear.
I still enjoy reading post about cd-i. However, I have not much to say about it at the moment. I can imagine there are enough people that like to see what's new once in a while, but haven't much to contribute themselves. Think about the people waiting for updates of the emulator.

XCLTempesT
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by XCLTempesT » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:16 am

Shroo-man wrote:what exactly does it take to excite CD-i collectors? it seems nothing! I mean this is the most rare game ever released and people don't even care. Master System collectors literally wet their pants over the SMS smurfs game which is not even as rare! if the rarest cd-i game does nothing for CD-i collectors than the CD-i scene is beyond help. you wonder why sites don't get updated and forums close down, whats to wonder about - there is no interest, you guys don't care! I beleive that the CD-i scene is on it's lasting dying breath with these forums and interactive dreams, both of which are kept alive only because of the efforts of one person! these sites are the only ones on the net which get new info/posts on CD-i. most of the posts on the forum apart from Bas is newbies with only a passing interest in CD-i, who register, ask a couple questions, see that there is nothing worth staying for and then never post again. Thats why there is nearly 500 registered users, but how many of them post on a regular basis (or even at all!) - hmmm maybe 5 if we're lucky!! sorry for the long rant but I think its about time that people wake up to the reality of the situation. then again maybe its not my place to say, maybe I should just shutup and mind my own business. I should collect in silence like everyone else does and just watch the CD-i scene slowly dissapear.
WOW! you are extremely negative about this. I would love to see screenshots of the smurfs game (and I would love to own a copy for that matter, because I don't have it). If you have the time, please post a few images.

I think a lot of cdi fans visit these pages regularly, just not very often (maybe ones a week or so, just to check if there is something new).

Also I think there are a lot more cdi collectors than you think. I sold a lot of cdi items (300+ ) on ebay (mostly items that I own more than ones) , and judging from the prices there seem to be a good many people interested in cdi. I agree that rare Sega and Nintendo items can sell for far higher prices, but I wouldn't call the cdi collectors scene "dead".

I would love to write some articles, but I just do not have the time right now (I could do it in the summer holiday, and I am planning on making a personal blog/website, that could also include cdi-related articles).

I would like to write articles about the different players (maybe opening the cases and making pictures of the inside), or a "unboxing" article (these seem to be all the rage on the net these days and I have a new CDi-660 and CDi-370 in box in my collection) .
I also have some cdi collectables (demonstration versions of some titels, a lot of magizines and some cd-i branded cdi cd pouches), maybe they could form a basis for an article.
I also experimented with ways to make your own videocd disc WITH cd-i subtitles (Already successful, just not so user friendly yet, and I'm pretty sure that no tool available on the internet can do that yet).
A second cdi related experiment I like to write about is the cd-online discs. I haven't had any success in getting my cdi player online yet, but I have been reading up on the old SLIP protocol used, so I may be able to get it working.

anyway back to subject about European exclusive:
P.A.W.S (Personal automated wagging system) the Dog Simulator is also a European exclusive that was released in 1998 (according to the year on the disc). A little bit of a "Nintendogs" like game.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:51 am

I am planning on making a personal blog/website
I would love that! Just about CD-i? You know how to build something 'professional'?

With a lot of CD-i sites being dead, new initiatives are highly welcome! :D

XCLTempesT
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by XCLTempesT » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:32 pm

Bas wrote:
I am planning on making a personal blog/website
I would love that! Just about CD-i? You know how to build something 'professional'?

With a lot of CD-i sites being dead, new initiatives are highly welcome! :D
I want to get familiar with the Django framework (a Python based framework for web development). So I want to use a personal blog/website as my testing ground. I haven't decided yet what the precise focus will be, but it most likely will not be cd-i only. I want to focus on some of my "geeky" interests and projects (mostly about automation using small programming scripts, but also strongly hardware oriented) . Some of these projects are definitely cd-i related.

"professional" depends on your definition :-)
I have never made any website with the functionality of sites like blogger, and I very much doubt that it can be easily rivaled. Blogger has so many fantastic features, implementing something similar takes a lot of time.
But I think that I do know how to build small professional looking websites.

I'm also thinking about a tips and tricks site for cd-i games. I have collected a lot of tips/cheaps/tricks from magizines from the '90's that would be nice if it is available for anyone playing cdi games. Not many sites have cdi games in the tips/tricks section.

j_eits
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by j_eits » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:48 am

XCLTempesT wrote:anyway back to subject about European exclusive:
P.A.W.S (Personal automated wagging system) the Dog Simulator is also a European exclusive that was released in 1998 (according to the year on the disc). A little bit of a "Nintendogs" like game.
That was well hidden at the end of a long post... ;) Does anybody know where I can find more informations about this game screenshots, pics odf the cover, etc.?

Another European exclusive is the Dutch Archeon CD-i Quiz.

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:37 am

XCLTempesT wrote: WOW! you are extremely negative about this. I would love to see screenshots of the smurfs game (and I would love to own a copy for that matter, because I don't have it). If you have the time, please post a few images.
true, but you can't deny there is a waning interest hence the closure of a forum and websites recently. I can't do proffesional screenshots but I can take photos of my tv screen if you like.
XCLTempesT wrote: Also I think there are a lot more cdi collectors than you think. I sold a lot of cdi items (300+ ) on ebay (mostly items that I own more than ones) , and judging from the prices there seem to be a good many people interested in cdi. I agree that rare Sega and Nintendo items can sell for far higher prices, but I wouldn't call the cdi collectors scene "dead".
i know there are a lot of collectors as usually there are lots of bids on popular games on ebay (especially your auctions), but they mostly collect in silence. it seems nearly dead to me though, I think that even the 3do scene is more lively.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:45 am

hey shroo-man, I'd still like to see some screenshots of the smurfs game. How are you?

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:55 am

I'll see what I can do, have to put in and setup the capture card in my PC first though. I'm good btw