freeze-frame issues with FMV shooters

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
dementedde
Burn:Cycle Activated

freeze-frame issues with FMV shooters

Post by dementedde » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:11 pm

I haven't long bought a Philips CDi 220 Player, a gun and the Mad Dog game. I had enough of those crappy DVD versions that Digital Leisure was bringing out.

One of the reasons is because the DVD version kept freezing when shooting a guy... I know this is to make it easier for you to navigate the cursor towards that enemy but it took away the novelty that made the game so great in the past.

Anyway, it is much better on Philips but the scenes still freeze for a tiny bit. Was this the case in the arcades as well? I remember the arcade machines doing it but not almost everytime! But then I was rather young back then that I probably didn't notice.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:53 am

The CD-i versions had a freezing time because the system was too slow, if I remember correctly! The arcades never had any freezing, although you could still change the difficulty. But changing the difficulty only changed the square around the enemy in which a shot was considered good. So you didn't have to navigate that good ;)

I've never played the DVD versions, but perhaps it was unable to code the different squares in it so they took the route of freezing the image to easy things up a bit :D

dementedde

Post by dementedde » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:17 pm

Awe, do you reckon I made a smart move getting CDi for these types of games? Be honest :wink: It's just apparantly their not so good on 3D0 and Sega CD... So I have been told.

gtdalby

Post by gtdalby » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:30 pm

I found the PC CD versions from Digital Leisure to be good.

Much better than the DVD video versions (I assume you're talking about the DVD video versions when it comes to the freezing? The ones that can be played on most DVD players?).

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:57 pm

Comparing to the Sega CD and 3DO versions, the CD-i versions are FAR superior, thanks to the use of the Digital Video Cartridge. So between those formats, CD-i is definately the best choice (IMO)

CoolKid19

Post by CoolKid19 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:25 pm

I have a few FMV shooters on CD-I. I thought the pause before and after killing every enemy because I had selected CONTROLLER and not LIGHT GUN (or whatever it's called) on the MAIN MENU screen. Therefore, they give you time to move the cursor over.

Has anyone played these games with the gun and noticed any difference in lag?