Gamepad stronger version

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
CDinteresting
Burn:Cycle Activated

Gamepad stronger version

Post by CDinteresting » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:56 pm

Hi all!

So, now that I'm getting a new CDi (my old gave it's last breath this morning)
I was wondering who here made his CDi gamepad (the one with the 3 buttons on the right) a little bit stronger.
As you might know, there are certain CDi games that require some...strength and persistency in pushing your controller for desired effect :lol:
I happen to own a lot of these games and that has cost me quite some controllers, so I was thinking...why not take the inside of an (old, not good working) controller/gamepad and give it a (S)NES housing...
That way you get your CDi gameplay with the strength of a (S)NES controller!

Only problem:

-CDi gamepads have different shapes (the printboard and buttonlocation) than other controllers
-I'm not a pro in making my own prinboards...

So has anyone done this before?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:50 pm

apparently it has been done before ;)

Welcome aboard!

CDinteresting

Post by CDinteresting » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:24 pm

Thanks and thanks!

That was also my main problem, getting the CDI buttons on the SNES/NES/etc controller locations...

It's not a superdescription (don't know which wire goes where) but I'll try it
I still have an old gamepad (the rubber parts that connect the buttons to their electronic switches are gone:p) and will try this, only downside is, I don't have any other controllers that I don't use anymore...idea's?

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:34 am

There is an easier option. you can buy an adapter for genesis and mega drive controllers to work on CD-i. and use a mega drive/genesis arcade controller or even just a regular gamepad should even be tough enough for CD-i gaming
Last edited by Shroo-man on Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

CDinteresting

Post by CDinteresting » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:16 pm

Hey!

Since I have an old Gamecube gamepad (I have 6 of them:P don't ask...)
and those things have + pads and buttons too, I figured I'd try modding a CDi pad and a GC pad...

Too bad I can't find any good walkthroughs on how to do this.
The only problem I'm having is:

What wires/paths does every button take?

Every button (on the CDI) has at least 2 paths + one to a large field (probably electricity? I dunno, never been that good at electronics...)
It gets even stranger, since the GC doesn't have the "large electricity field" on it's gamepad...

So, I will start making this thing as soon as I find out what each path is...

help is appreciated;)