Hello

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Hello

Post by Bas » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:59 pm

Dear readers, how have you been? It's been a quiet summer here; and while it'sabout the only active place about CD-i you may say our small format is not coming through with new stuff like homebrew, interviews and whatsoever you may like in 2008.

I'd like to chat with you about what you're still doing with your CD-i player. Do you still have one? Has it gone broken? Do you regularly play on it? Really? How often, like once a week, once a month?

Have you bought some new second hand titles lately? Does CD-i still mean anything to you? Or is the one thing that's left: fond memories, with loads of titles collecting dust on a shelf in the basement.

Yeah let's chat about what's left of your history with the CD-i!

I'll start. You know, I don't even own a player anymore, can you believe it? I gave it to my sister who is teaching their children with titles like Richard Scarry, Berenstain bears, Tim & Bear..... They actually play it almost every day like half an hour. They love it. They even bought a roller controller a few months back.

Personally I haven't used my player for a long time. In 2007, I only used it to test the demos for Charles, and made some shots of Microcosm and Battle Chess. That's it. No games, not playing a thing. Typical. I don't miss my player at all, although I love the titles waiting here to be used again. But when? I never have the time anyway!

I love to write about all the memories we have and I'll remain doing so, but for the rest.... It's time for some new stuff to stir up the CD-i.

How about you? I'll make a list of some questions:

how have you been?
Do you still have a CD-i player?
Has it gone broken?
Do you regularly play on it?
Really? How often, like once a week, once a month?
Have you bought some new second hand titles lately?
Does CD-i still mean anything to you?
Or is the one thing that's left: fond memories, with loads of titles collecting dust on a shelf in the basement.

How many of you do still check the forum regularly (that'll answer itself while reading the responses!) Does a CD-i community still exist?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:01 am

I'm good! :D

I've been checking the forum infrequently over recent months after rediscovering the joy of game somewhat! Addiction to Team Fortress 2, Film and a few classic novels are to blame for my time-out.

Does a CD-i community exist? I think the machine is a great academic subject for gamers, as always, but it's not like I'm jacking into Burn:Cycle everyday. The machine still has life in it and plenty more stories to tell.

I really should focus attention on some more articles but have to admit I've been working outside the fold of CD-i with other wares such as old PC CD-ROM games. One investigation is fairly advanced I hope to release an article about that in the coming months. The developer was kind enough to share various playable prototypes as the game evolved. It's amazing how far it came although I hesitate to name the game for obvious reasons. Don't want other journalist's stealing my story after all!

thomas
Softech Recruit

Post by thomas » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:49 pm

Mine's packed away in a box, but my CDi softs are sitting proudly on my gaming shelf next to Dreamcast, Lynx, PSX, game.com....etc.
Getting older, I'm mainly a collector nowadays, but at the mo I have my VCS connected for some serious Activision game playing sessions.
For me, the CDi was never a main game console, as it was never marketed as one.
Sometime's I wip it out and play with it for a while though.

rdjnl
Softech Recruit

Post by rdjnl » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:37 pm

Hello all,

I don't have much time for my cd-i hobby anymore because of my work.

Also, most of the time I was playing video games was with the ps2 I bought a year ago.
I thought the system would fade by the competition between the ps3, xbox360 and Wii. Time for me to buy one. :D
I really enjoyed playing games like Gran Turismo 4 and Grand Theft Auto (3,VC,SA,LCS,VCS).

The cd-i player I got in 1995 is still connected to my television, ready to play. However, I never really play with it.
I only used it to test the cd-i's I bought from eBay. However, I don't buy any games anymore, because I already got most of them.
I still would like to add Solor Crusade, The lost ride and a Roller Controller to my collection. But they are (too) expensive, so I'm not really looking for them.

I bough my latest cd-i in June: Wordplay.
fond memories, with loads of titles collecting dust on a shelf in the basement.
Fond memories? Yes! Loads of titles collecting dust? Pretty much, I guess. :wink: On a shelf in the basement? Definitely not! I still care about them.

I think I visit this forum once in two weeks or so. I wouldn't want it to disappear.

I'm still thinking about what to do with my webpage. I would like to show my collection, but the current version of the webpage isn't easy to update.
I'm not updating it, but I leave it until I have time to replace it with something better.

|
|
|
V

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:21 am

Hi everyone

I still play on my cd-i regularly, I'd say every week. My friends also come over to play it and we have some fun in 2 player mode on games ilike Micro Machines & Solar Crusade.

For me, the cd-i will never be replaced - it is totally unique. I've been collecting discs for 14 years now and will keep doing so as long as I can.
I still hold out hope for a new title like Frog Feast last year.

I still see a massive market & fan base for cd-i every day on e-bay. I think we do still have our community on here.

Keep it cd-i.

Alan

Realtime
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Realtime » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:19 pm

Hello! :D

I'm doing very well thank you! And yes i still have a CD-I player several infact two of which is always hooked up, one in the main living room and the other in the master bedroom.

Only my old 450 player (one of the players which is packed away) has gotten some hickups and scratches unfortunately but other than that i give my players a lot of TLC. :wink:

I tend to use the CD-I as often as i can usually for at least once a day, if even for a short time. Right now for instance Peter Gabriel's - All About Us (CD-I) version of course, is playing in the living room. :D

Haven't really gotten a hand on any new titles recently, i am however still looking for a 7'th guest that will play on my 615 and 670 player.
Did buy a new player just a few days ago. :)

Yes the CD-I for being just an inanimate object in it self means a great deal to me, a lot of young teenage memories as well as my love and liking for the system itself, hence why i use it on such a regular basis.

About the forum, as you can no doubt see on my low post count I am by nature a bad forum/chat person, I do however check the forum at least a few times a week since i am at a computer often especially at work.

In my mind the community still exist even if my roll in it is very limited, I think as long as there are ppl left in the world that have feelings for the CD-I it and the community will never die, with that being said of course yes maybe thinking about my personal feelings on how i would like the community to be, I would like to see more activity, but then again I certainly don't help since as i wrote "I am by nature a bad forum/chat person".

I however get very glad when i read the post's and blogs about homebrew's, new software titles and prototypes being "discovered" etc.

Great idea and thread starter Bas! I hope everyone is well of course and that you can still find enjoyment and use like i still do in the CD-I. :D

Kindest Regards from Sweden // RT
Calm, collected, full, rich life? ...Bored? Instant crisis!

lemmi
Burn:Cycle Activated

Re: Hello

Post by lemmi » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:22 am

how have you been?
pretty bad really, that i started selling some of my videogame collection for money (some Cd-i items also)
Do you still have a CD-i player?
Yes i do, i have 4 of them - Cdi 220 my first one found in the trash on the next block with 8 games and a kids controller - LG GDI-700M came from the Michigan Supreme Court - Goldstar GDI-1000, and a portable CDi 350
Has it gone broken?
i havent checked the CD-i 220 in a few years but it worked last time i checked it, but the CD-i 350 is dead in the water and i wish it wasnt, it was going to be first on my list to sell
Do you regularly play on it?

not really, i dont play anything but Super Mario world on my GBA sp
Really? How often, like once a week, once a month?

ive played a few games of micro machines, hotel mario and 2 of the Zelda games this year
Does CD-i still mean anything to you?
Or is the one thing that's left: fond memories, with loads of titles collecting dust on a shelf in the basement.
It still means alot to me, from the first time i saw the infomercial on late night TV in the early 90's ive always wanted one, but could never find one at local shops or fleamarkets, then by chance in 1996 i found one in the trash. the door wouldnt work so i took off the top and did opened it manually (it closed fine just wouldnt eject) i even spent money on a DV card to play movies and other games in it
I will always own one untill they all stop working one day

How many of you do still check the forum regularly (that'll answer itself while reading the responses!) Does a CD-i community still exist?

i check about once a week since its right next to the 3DO forum link in my favorites :)
but the forum keeps logging me out so i dont bother to post

tgn_rogue
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by tgn_rogue » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:02 pm

Mine unfortunately is instorage at the moment while Im having my room totally redecorated, ceiling ripped down, new insulation new flooring, the whole hog, so I havent used it for a few months.

However before then i used mine a few times a week, still playing and trying to complete and win Lords of the Rising Sun for the 130th time or something silly like that.