Earliest cd-i memory

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
phatrat1982
Softech Recruit

Post by phatrat1982 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:47 pm

well then I might pop in and check it out. I did sign up just thought I would see what it was like here first.

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:49 pm

It's great hearing about your memories. I can't believe it was that long ago that I started the topic! How time flies... There are a few of us dedicated cd-i fans left on here.

I still believe that cd-i was way ahead of it's time. Look at releases like Peter Gabriel's Secret World, Todd Rundgren: No World Order and The Worlds of..
Remixing tracks in the studio, jamming sessions, accessing artist's back catalogue at the touch of a button. Really cool stuff. I still play it as much today as I did 17 years ago. To me nothing comes close to cd-i.

Interite
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Interite » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:36 am

I think it was early 1994 when I read about it in some magazine, can´t remember which one anymore. Got one for Christmas the same year. :)

Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Austin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:27 am

Very early '90s, I remember having to go to see my aunt in the hospital late one night. In the visitors room there was a CD-i system with the kids rollerball controller. It wasn't on, but the one or two other times I saw the system at other locations, they usually had that controller.

A few years later while in middle school, one of my classes had a CD-i system as well, most-likely there for educational purposes. I never saw it in action though.

The last time I saw one in-person before acquiring my own in '98 or '99 was at a Montomery Ward store up the street from my house. It was the only place I knew that carried the platform. They had a demo kiosk there. I don't think there were controllers hooked up. They had a demo reel of various games playing, I think.. I remember Pinball really standing out back then (now that I see it, it's garbage! :( ). Mystic Midway: RIP was another one that I am pretty sure played on the demo.

Those are my earliest memories until I traded for one myself in the late '90s.
The IMPLANTgames Podcast - Episode 66: http://implantgames.com/implantgames/podcast66

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:34 am

Austin wrote:I remember Pinball really standing out back then (now that I see it, it's garbage!
:P Its a shame, cuz it could've been a really good game w/a bit more effort. If only there was more to the tables ...

Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Austin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:41 am

Trev wrote:
Austin wrote:I remember Pinball really standing out back then (now that I see it, it's garbage!
:P Its a shame, cuz it could've been a really good game w/a bit more effort. If only there was more to the tables ...
Exactly.. The tables are so bare, it's ridiculous. The flipper-action could have been better, too, but that may have been tolerable the way they are had the tables been more involved.
The IMPLANTgames Podcast - Episode 66: http://implantgames.com/implantgames/podcast66