CDI Arcade playing Dragons Lair!

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
tlh
Burn:Cycle Activated

CDI Arcade playing Dragons Lair!

Post by tlh » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:41 am

My 220 is displaying Dragons Lair on my Neo 29. Wow! by tapping a pure rgb signal from my 220 mainboard, I have streaming video on my Neo and the Neo has never looked so good. Wanna see some pics? tlh

TheCDiFanboy92
Softech Recruit

Re: CDI Arcade playing Dragons Lair!

Post by TheCDiFanboy92 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:30 pm

tlh wrote:My 220 is displaying Dragons Lair on my Neo 29. Wow! by tapping a pure rgb signal from my 220 mainboard, I have streaming video on my Neo and the Neo has never looked so good. Wanna see some pics? tlh
that's amazing please make pictures yes!!! :D

tlh

Post by tlh » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:13 am

Plan on posting pics tomorrow. The video was easy, but the control swap was a nightmare. The CDI uses variable voltage for the interactive control. Neo arcades just use 5 volt on and off micro switches. The two are not interchangeable. I had to get out the resistors, caps and Ic's. Ouch! tlh

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:23 pm

So you're not living in Europe, eh? We call that SCART and always have that kind of quality :) .

tlh

Post by tlh » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:18 pm

tlh

Post by tlh » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:20 pm

tlh

Post by tlh » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:24 pm

No disrespect, but there is alot more to this than the video. Getting the interactive cdi controls to work with the 5volt arcade controls is the real nightmare. That said, this is an old school Neo 29 connected to the cdi. This is sort of like Dragons Lair arcade, althought the CDI timing is a little different than the original. thanks for your interest tlh

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:17 am

Impressive! Can you make a shot of how the CD-i is connected, and how the controls are handled? It the Neo 29 like below?

tlh

Post by tlh » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:21 am

The rgb is tapped at a cap local at the output negative side, 2352, 2356 and 2355 respectively. The location is just before the video signal gets processed by the CXA1145m- the sony m series you probably already know is a micro CXA. The CXA1145 is an ic which encodes the video signal as ntsc or pal depending on input. If you drive it with 50 you get pal if you drive it with 60, you get ntsc. Neither one look as good as pure rgb. I did install a 75 ohm resistor on the red output to tone it down some, but the green and blue were fine without the resistor. As far as pics, I can take some pics of the mainboard. As far as contol goes, I am still trying to match the proprietary voltage of the accessory control unit to perfect control. I think that if I increase the voltage at the supply line, I can further reduce lag time which the CDI suffers from on arcade games. Still fussing with it...tlh

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:36 am

I think that if I increase the voltage at the supply line, I can further reduce lag time which the CDI suffers from on arcade games. Still fussing with it...tlh
That would be ideal if you could decrease the lag on games like mad dog :)

tlh

Post by tlh » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:13 pm

I am working on it. By the way, there is a mod that many hackers have used in the past on consoles (like Dreamcast) to overclock the chipset which in some cases improves over all game play. I don't know if anyone has tried overclocking the CDI, but I am sure that it can be done by isolating the clock leg and bypassing it with another 40mghz crystal. Of course the mod would also require a fan or something to dissipate the extra heat.. kind of scary, but worth a try...tlh