The reason I want to take a sledgehammer to the internet...

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Devin
CDinteractive Admin

The reason I want to take a sledgehammer to the internet...

Post by Devin » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:09 pm

http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2009/10/28/cdi-in-review/

Oh look another insightful attempt at CD-i bashing! When will reviewers/bloggers 'get' CD-i became a game machine by accident?

Maybe one day they will understand the games released are testament to the ingenuity of the people who developed for the platform. Never mind... :cry:

BRN
Burn:Cycle Activated

Watto Devin

Post by BRN » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:39 pm

I must confess that many of the games that I possess are unplayable however the likes of 7th Guest, Othello, Tetris and so on show what could be achieved on a modest processor base.

The non-games disks include real classics-Opera Imaginairre, various "art and music" packages and so on.

The CD-I and the Attari Lynx are my two favourite "blasts from the past."

BRN

Frustrated

Post by Frustrated » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:13 pm

sigh... i wish people who bash cd-i would be at least be somewhat educated on it.

even screwattack got things wrong.

Mcampellone

Poeple never see the forest for the trees....

Post by Mcampellone » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:05 pm

I have to add something here in this thread, even though it has been ages since anyone has said anything about this topic...

The ORIGINAL reason that I actually purchased my CD-i, and on eof it's main uses today, are for the GORGEOUS music + art combo discs. Like the Art of the Renaissance, Harvest Of The Sun, and titles of that nature. I have one of my 220 players hooked up to a 64" giant screen TV in the main entertaining area in my home, and I love putting on one of these discs as background for entertaining. The combination of wonderful classic masterpieces in music, when paired with the equally visually stunning artwork of the masters, is a PERFECT combination. I consider the CD-i a very ADULT system, not like a Nintendo would be for a child but rather for something geared towards someone with a more refined taste. Now, the fact that I can also blast aliens and have Mario jumping around my screen is an added bonus, as far as I am concerned!

Plus - let us not forget the styling - how perfectly and elegantly these systems blend into a high-end audio system on a rack - as part of again a very ADULT entertaining space.

I have sold off all of my gaming systems - they quickly lost their thrill, as I have grown older. But NEVER the CD-i, that just continues to improve with age!

Mike
Life is an adventure - let's make it happen together!

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:08 pm

I've always been curious about those types of titles, although I don't own any (yet) The closest I have may be "National Parks Tour" which combines nice slides w/cool background music.

Is there a good place to find info on the art series releases? They don't seem to get the type of chatter the games do (obviously) but I'd be curious to know more details about them. Reviews &/or videos and the like, which are the best, etc...

proxy10

Post by proxy10 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:58 am

sledgehammer, ok, cool. Go ahead.

phatrat1982
Softech Recruit

Post by phatrat1982 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:35 am

I agree with this thread, I read about CD-i mostly in EGM because tha was the magazine I read the most, and I always thought the system looked more for adults and entertainment than for general video games. Personally I have always wanted one back then and even today specifically for the video capabilities. Now that I am older and can appreciate this type of stuff more it makes me want the system even more than ever.