PAL games on a NTSC CD-i?

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
jaggyjaguar76
Burn:Cycle Activated

PAL games on a NTSC CD-i?

Post by jaggyjaguar76 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:49 pm

Hello all. I am new to the CD-i. It is a system that I have personally never owned, but always wanted due to playing BURN! Cycle back in the day. I am generally a Jaguar and 3DO nut, but I finally am getting a CD-i due to a really cheap price with six brand new looking games. I am happy. I have looked around and noticed that there are several CD-i games that released in the UK only, obviously making them PAL releases. My big question is if the PAL games will play on a NTSC CD-i unit without the screen rolling or in Black and White or whatever the case may be? I'm new here so I haven't read everything on the site so my apologies if this has been covered but if I am to totally immerse myself in this system, I feel the need to know this key piece of information. Any answers would be appreciated.

jaggyjaguar76

Post by jaggyjaguar76 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:29 pm

:shock: Okay, this is supposed to be the best CD-i site out there and three people have checked the thread so far and nobody knows? I'm sorry if I am wasting time with a noob question, but it's pretty straight forward and I find it hard to believe that nobody here knows the answer.

Seb
Softech Recruit

Post by Seb » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:51 pm

I don't have a NTSC machine myself, but I think they should work fine. At least it works alright the other way around (games from the US on PAL systems). There's no copy protection or region lockout either.

I can't really give you a definite answer though, sorry. I am kind of curious too though, what is the actual video output for the CD-i in the two regions? Was it different, or were all the CD-i producing the same image and was only the power unit different between the Philips and Magnavox models?
Check out my YouTube channel for some CD-i reviews!

jaggyjaguar76

Post by jaggyjaguar76 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:02 pm

I appreciate the answer. If what you say is the case, than I have no reason to believe that PAL games will work on my system. Excellent!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:22 pm

In general your CD-i player can play both PAL and NTSC games. The difference is the output in resolution, which is a little different.

For detailed information, read here:
http://cdii.blogspot.com/2007/11/cd-i-i ... -free.html
http://cdii.blogspot.com/2007/08/family ... issue.html

jaggyjaguar76

Post by jaggyjaguar76 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:01 am

Excellent. I appreciate the links and information. Being new to the system is bad when you don't know much about it.