If you were responsible for Philips Media Games...

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Protoman85
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Protoman85 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:32 pm

Psycho Pinball. I know it's made by Codemasters, but since they got Micro Machines on CD-i...? And it's my favorite pinball game. Also completing Mario's Wacky Worlds is a must. And The Apprentice 2! That game had promise, promise to be a sidescroller and not a top-bottom scroller like the first one.

proxy10

Post by proxy10 » Fri May 20, 2011 9:44 am

would love that!

guldurkhand
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by guldurkhand » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:31 pm

I would put more people on zelda + hire a fantasy novelwriter for it, to make one game without video(cause it eats too much of the ram), than make the zelda harder and make one zelda game(just with more cd's). Also I would instead of a dpad put a joystick + an r, l, start button.

And the rest would be history...

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:54 pm

some stupid japanese name wrote:I think any of the Lucasarts/Sierra/Access point and clicks of the era would have been phenomenal.
Agreed! The system seems ideal for this genre.

phatrat1982
Softech Recruit

Post by phatrat1982 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:10 am

Well I am not really familiar with the exact hardware specs but I can make a few assumptions based on hardware I am familiar with from the time.

I think it would depend on what part of software I was in charge of to decide what I would have done. IF my job was making partners and getting third party software I would have focused mostly on PC ports from the time like Duke Nukem, Sim City, Carmen Sandiego, Jazz Jackrabbit, Warcraft, Diablo, Descent, Star Wars Rebel Assault series, X-Wing Series, and I don't know the time frame but The Sims if they were around during that era.

Then I would have also looked for maybe console type developers that could design software that would be unique for the platform, probably wouldn't have made too many changes in that regard to what the pros who made the system did, except maybe try and get a few good arcade hits from the time but make damn sure the ports are not just faithful to the arcade but also feature extra console specific modes like Street Fighter on Sega had.

Considering that Philips had strong partnerships with Nintendo I would have also made an effort to utilize those characters that were licensed in every way possible, including a port or version of Mario Paint or some nintendo themed paint program. I also think maybe I would have tried to get some Atari, Namco, Midway, and Capcom arcade compilations and tried to get those packed in with the console.

IF I was in charge of creating original software personally I would have still focused on FMV movies but I would have also really worked hard showcasing the strengths of the console like developing PC-type point and click games similar to the old Forgotten Realms PC games but original engines and stories and I would have included as much FMV as possible not just actors but animated also especially anime style games and animation. I would have also tried to get good story based RPG games to attract the really dedicated hard core gamers.