If you were responsible for Philips Media Games...

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Devin
CDinteractive Admin

If you were responsible for Philips Media Games...

Post by Devin » Sun May 30, 2010 3:36 pm

which games would you have brought to CD-i?

Interesting question I think! :D

Personally in retrospect it would have been great to bring more strategy based games, what with the memory on board every CD-i player it seems a missed opportunity. A little late in its day but Imperium Galactica is a favorite that could have been tailored better for a CD-i specific release, including high quality video interludes (that I lapped up!). The space combat was 2D and turn based so that would not have been a problem but the ground battles were isometric in design so that might have represented a challenge!

Frustrated
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Frustrated » Sun May 30, 2010 8:18 pm

I'm not sure if the machine would be strong enough to handle it (In fact, i seriously doubt it could)
but i would have liked to see one of the original elder scroll games on there, maybe a watered down version of Arena.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun May 30, 2010 10:14 pm

Really? Apart from the isometric ground battles there wasn't much to it!

Add all the animated FMV and a dash of digital video for the diplomatic section and we're in business :D

Frustrated

Post by Frustrated » Mon May 31, 2010 5:05 am

That's true. the system could easily handle the graphics and such, but i was wondering if a cd-i disc was big enough to hold the entire expanse of Tamirel? Arena was a huge game.

but i suppose- if you can put an entire MPEG movie on one, perhaps it wouldn't be too hard.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Mon May 31, 2010 11:19 am

Sim City would be another perfect game for CD-i, rumoured for development as well!

Often wonder why Interplay didn't press ahead with a release of games like that and even Battlechess which we know WAS DEVELOPED INTO PROTOTYPE FORM! Just look at all the Connect 4 and other pish board games on ebay, they could've shifted thousands of Sim City's and Battlechess's!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon May 31, 2010 7:20 pm

I would love that!

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Mon May 31, 2010 7:31 pm

It wouldn't be a stretch to imagine some work was conducted on this game, nice covers Bas!

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:19 am

Dune, I'd convert Dune to CD-i as well! Beautiful images great sound and an interesting story with RTS elements... perfect :D

some stupid japanese name

Post by some stupid japanese name » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:53 am

I remember waiting and waiting for The 11th Hour to appear on 3DO, which never happened. It would only be fitting that it appear on the CDi though.

I think any of the Lucasarts/Sierra/Access point and clicks of the era would have been phenomenal.

Being a platformer fan, I'd have liked to see more of those. Funny that with as many run and jump mascoty type games there were in those days, how very few were developed for the system. Then again, very few games in any of the more popular genres of the day were made for it. But based on The Apprentice and Mutant Rampage- say what you will about the game, it has some really nicely detailed backgrounds in it- I think the CDi could have handled some beautiful pixel art.

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:15 pm

I would have released the rest of the America Laser Games Series, would have been nice to see some limited edtion versions of the other releases (Box and Game bundle for example).

As mentioned previously, would also be nice to see all the point and click adventure games released along with Sim City and 11th Hour.

In fact there where so many games similar to 11th Hour on the PC, such as Ripper, Phantasmorgoria etc, all of which would have been great on CD-i.

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:51 pm

Good debate!! Super Off Road would have been great. There was meant to be a basketball game ''NCAA Basketball'' which would have been fun. I also discovered recently that another pinball game ''Cosmic Pinball'' was due to be released and also saw the boxart. Other than that, a good football management sim I think would have worked perfectly on cd-i. But for me there could never be enough cd-i games :D

Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Austin » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:41 am

If I were Philips, I would have really pushed to have a killer-app as a pack-in, at least on the game-oriented systems. On the DVC console bundles especially I would have bundled the 7th Guest. I am fairly certain the was still selling well on the PC in '94 (a year after it came out, when the CD-i version was released), and having it included in the CD-i's box may have drove system sales a little bit more (perhaps some would have chose to buy into a CD-i versus upgrading their computers?).

cdiplayer
Softech Recruit

Post by cdiplayer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:49 am

I probably would have focused on developing Super Mario's Wacky Worlds as a killer app and possibly trying to seek a closer relationship with Nintendo. I think that's really the only way Philips could have saved the CD-i. I also would have marketed it to airlines for use as a seatback gaming system because for some reason whenever I play those I think Cd-i

CD-i 450

Post by CD-i 450 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:51 am

I would have ditched all the other models and focused on the 450 model + making the mpeg card internal on the motherboard and packed it with all the SCUMMVM games :).

Gaara
Softech Recruit

Post by Gaara » Mon May 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Agreed with the person who mentioned getting "Mario's Wacky Worlds" completed. It had promise.

Also, not sure if it could have done it (as it would require very fast response times for finding and showing video clips), but I heard that on another ill-fated electronic product, the NEC PC-FX, there was a full-motion-video beat 'em up game consisting of "anime"-style fighting scenes, with the player pressing the buttons at the exact time to create fighting moves and combos to compete against the other other fighter, shown via pre-rendered video. Sorta like "Dragon's Lair" but more interactive and with bigger hair. Hey, CD-i did get "Escape From Cyber City", so why not?

Also, getting the license for a port of "Puyo Pop". Not sure why I want that though.