Various Press Releases from PRNewswire Part 1

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Various Press Releases from PRNewswire Part 1

Post by Devin » Mon May 31, 2010 6:26 pm

'WHEEL OF FORTUNE' AND 'JEOPARDY!' TO BECOME INTERACTIVE HOME GAMES FOR PHILIPS COMPACT DISC-INTERACTIVE 'IMAGINATION MACHINE'

Philips Interactive Media of America To License Rights From Sony

Electronic Publishing for Multimedia CD-Based Games

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif., March 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Philips Interactive Media of America (PIMA) has signed a licensing agreement with Sony Electronic Publishing for the Compact Disc-Interactive (CD-I) rights to produce CD-I versions of the wildly successful game shows "Wheel of Fortune" and "Jeopardy!," it was announced today by Philips Interactive Media of America.

The "Wheel of Fortune!" disc will be produced by Fantasy Factory, a PIMA production studio, while "Jeopardy!" will be produced by developer and producer Accent Media Productions. Each disc will feature exciting interactive versions of the television game shows. The discs will be available on the market next year. Negotiations are currently underway with each show's talented hosts.

"Wheel of Fortune" and "Jeopardy!" have consistently ranked first and second in the ratings for syndicated series, covering 98 percent of the United States in more than 220 markets. "Wheel of Fortune," America's favorite game show for the last decade, stars Pat Sajak and premiere letter-turner Vanna White. "Wheel of Fortune" is watched throughout the world in many different languages. "Jeopardy!" is famous for its classic "answer and question" quiz game, hosted by Alex Trebek.

According to PIMA President Dr. Bernard J. Luskin, "For too long, viewers have shouted out the answers -- and the questions -- to these American game show phenomena. Now, with the help of CD-I, the TV will answer back."

In addition to the "Wheel of Fortune" and "Jeopardy!" titles, PIMA has developed an array of more than 85 titles for the consumer CD-I system. CD-I titles can be experienced on the Philips CD-I "Imagination Machine," which is currently available at 2,000 consumer electronics retailers, specialty stores and department stores nationwide. To find the dealer nearest them, consumers can call Philips' toll-free dealer locator number, 800-223-7772.

The system, $699 suggested retail, includes a Philips CDI910 or CDI220 player with a unique "thumbstick" controller.

PIMA is a wholly owned subsidiary of Philips Electronics N.V. PIMA owns and operates several CD-I production studios in the United States.

-0- 3/4/93

/CONTACT: Todd Greene or Leslie Reed of Mahoney Communications, 213-251-4688, for Philips Interactive Media of America/