Flashback + CD-i pad = ...

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Austin » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:02 am

Shroo-man wrote:sit down and play it from beginning to end it will definitely take a full day. unless youre so good you can finish each level in the first go. I recall spending lots of time just trying to finish level 5, maybe an hour or more.
Trev is right on this one, Out of This World is a short game. Its illusion of length comes in the form of a million ways to die. This provides absurd amounts of trial and error. If you know what buttons to push though, what patterns to follow and what-does-what, it's a very short game. Great for speed runners.. :lol:

That said, I love both games. Out of This World is more of its own beast in my opinion. Flashback has environments that are more fleshed out. They are meant to be explored, puzzles are meant to be solved, work is meant to be done (literally--see New Washington, stage 2). There is a bit of trial and error as well with some insta-death traps, but Flashback to me has always been more Prince of Persia than Out of This World. The greatest similarities between it and the later are the rotoscoped animation sequences in between. Other than that, Flashback and Out of This World both play in a vastly different manner.
The IMPLANTgames Podcast - Episode 66: http://implantgames.com/implantgames/podcast66

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:59 pm

Austin wrote:
Out of This World is more of its own beast in my opinion. Flashback has environments that are more fleshed out. They are meant to be explored, puzzles are meant to be solved, work is meant to be done (literally--see New Washington, stage 2). There is a bit of trial and error as well with some insta-death traps, but Flashback to me has always been more Prince of Persia than Out of This World. The greatest similarities between it and the later are the rotoscoped animation sequences in between. Other than that, Flashback and Out of This World both play in a vastly different manner.
Yeah, they really are very different games. For better or worse though, the similaraties they do have will probably always lead gamers to link them together.

I consider Flashback a highly evolved cousin of OOTW.
"Third down, bases are loaded, and we're pullin' the goalie!"